Question Installing Horizon Zero Dawn on external drive broke my CPU ?

Aug 7, 2022
I bought horizon zero dawn on steam and was downloading it on my external drive. I've already had games like gta 5, half life alyx, and fornite on their working flawlessly. Was gonna have it download overnight to see the next morning steam was closed completely. The game partially downloaded and the drive was disconnecting and reconnecting on it's own. I tried pausing and reinstalling. Then the pc was really slow, and was freezing. I restarted my pc and now my cpu usage is at mostly 100%. No specific program is causing it, it's just whatever it feels like unless I start a game or chrome. I cannot play cpu intensive games reliably, for some not at all anymore. The pc freezes often and is very very slow now. My mind is completely boggled by how failing to download a game could fry my cpu. Or whatever it did. No clue what kinda help i could here. specs are gtx 2070 super i7 10700KF 16gb ram

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you please state the full specs to your build? I doubt an external storage would cause the system to get crippled. Maybe it's due to an issue with your cooler. Please check and see what your temps are. Also, what OS are you working with?

I bought horizon zero dawn on steam and was downloading it on my external drive. I've already had games like gta 5, half life alyx, and fornite on their working flawlessly. Was gonna have it download overnight to see the next morning steam was closed completely. The game partially downloaded and the drive was disconnecting and reconnecting on it's own. I tried pausing and reinstalling. Then the pc was really slow, and was freezing. I restarted my pc and now my cpu usage is at mostly 100%. No specific program is causing it, it's just whatever it feels like unless I start a game or chrome. I cannot play cpu intensive games reliably, for some not at all anymore. The pc freezes often and is very very slow now. My mind is completely boggled by how failing to download a game could fry my cpu. Or whatever it did. No clue what kinda help i could here. specs are gtx 2070 super i7 10700KF 16gb ram
Unplug the external.
Any diff?

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried restarting PC?

whats it like in safe mode?
if its still win 10:
  1. go to settings/update & security/recovery
  2. under advanced startup, click restart now button
  3. this restarts PC in a blue menu
  4. choose troubleshoot
  5. choose advanced
  6. choose startup options
  7. click the restart button
  8. choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
  9. Pc will restart and load safe mode
try running the trial of this on both drives, check health tab - https://www.hdtune.com/
sounds like a storage problem more than CPU.

Last edited: