AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hey,

I'm having an issue with a mini-pc. It won't install Windows 10 when booting to a USB for some reason.
The temporary solution I've found is to take an older drive, install windows 10 on that on my main desktop, plug it into the mini-pc, boot up. (The older drive couldn't be installed from the mini-pc either btw)
And it works.

So now I have an old drive(Samsung 830 series 512GB) in my mini-pc and a Kingston 500GB NVME I want to install windows 10 on.

Can I install Windows 10 on the NVME drive while booted into Windows?

----
Separate question. Why would a Windows installation hang the exact same place every time on 1 PC, but not the other? My mini-pc hangs just before you enter the final setup stages where they ask you how much they can spy on you, etc.
To be exact it is a black screen, white windows logo, white rotating circle of dots and says "getting ready".
It does it the same place every time.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can I install Windows 10 on the NVME drive while booted into Windows?
No
not while booted into windows anyway. Only way to get it onto the NVME is via a clean install. And you don't need the hdd in to do that, just a USB drive mostly.

Separate question. Why would a Windows installation hang the exact same place every time on 1 PC, but not the other? My mini-pc hangs just before you enter the final setup stages where they ask you how much they can spy on you, etc.
To be exact it is a black screen, white windows logo, white rotating circle of dots and says "getting ready".
It does it the same place every time.

different hardware in both.

have you tried updating bios in the all in one?
have you tried not being attached to internet when installing as the last stage could be when its getting updates.

Does the spinning circle stop or just go on forever? If second, how long did you wait? Does PC have an ssd or hdd?

what make/model is all in one?

Last edited:

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Thank you both for responding.

I looked at what you wrote and decided to check if the UEFI settings were right. The network settings were legacy, the rest were UEFI. After changing it to UEFI things work the way they are supposed to.

It is still on the "let us spy on you" stage of the installation and getting hardware diag up so I can give you some accurate date would take time I don't have at the moment. Stepfather is coming over to help me paint a door and his time is limited as it is.

TL;DR: For now it works as intended. I'll give you more info later if necessary.
(popatim responded 30 mins after I went to bed, sry about the delayed answer)