[SOLVED] Installing Windows 10 - questions about installed apps and programs

Greetings, I've recently acquired all parts I need for a new PC (Ryzen 5 2600, ASRock B450 Pro4, 16GB 2933 MHz RAM, GTX 1660).

I currently have my Windows 8.1 installed on my SSD (240GB), as well as Kaspersky Antivirus (y'know, excluding less important programs), and pretty much every other program is on my HDD (1TB), including Office, Steam (with about 20 games installed) etc.

I understand that it's best for me to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my SSD, and have my hard drive unplugged during the installation process. I have also created a separate folder on my hard drive, containing all the files/folders I would like to keep (is this an okay solution, given I have little space on my USB drive?).

My question is, after I install and update Win10, install the necessary drivers and plug my HDD back in, will I have to reinstall (primarly) the Steam games, Office and other programs, or is it just "plug'n'play" (as in, there is no additional installation or messing about needed, they are instantly ready to be used), or maybe something third?

I posted this thread because I couldn't find the exact answer I needed on the internet, and I want to make sure I know as much as I can before I attempt to build my PC, since I'm doing it on my own.

Thank you for the answers in advance.

Solution
Does that require uninstalling them BEFORE I install Win10, or can I simply reinstall them afterwards?

Where are they?
You're doing a clean install on the SSD, where are these applications?

For your Steam games, you'll reinstall the Steam client, then tell it where these things live on the D drive.

Additionally, that folder on the D drive does NOT need to be labeled 'Program FIles (x86)'.
That is just the default location that Windows creates. Applications can be installed to ANY folder. You just select that location during the install of that application.

And please don't follow any 'tutorials' you find that recommend changing the registry to force applications to always install to a different drive. Many things might break...

USAFRet

Titan
For Steam games:

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Steam programs can be moved or accessed on a different drive.

Office and other programs?
Absolutely not. Those will need to be reinstalled after the new OS install.

Does that require uninstalling them BEFORE I install Win10, or can I simply reinstall them afterwards?

For Steam games:

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

This is the situation with my Steam library.

5c9768e338bd095058ad9c5affd3e2a7.png

The D:\ drive is my hard drive. The C:\ drive is my SSD with the operating system installed.
Am I free to assume then that I do not have to move or (re)install anything regarding my Steam folder after Win10 installation, or am I missing something?

USAFRet

Titan

Where are they?

For your Steam games, you'll reinstall the Steam client, then tell it where these things live on the D drive.

Additionally, that folder on the D drive does NOT need to be labeled 'Program FIles (x86)'.
That is just the default location that Windows creates. Applications can be installed to ANY folder. You just select that location during the install of that application.

And please don't follow any 'tutorials' you find that recommend changing the registry to force applications to always install to a different drive. Many things might break doing this.

Solution
Where are they?

Most of my applications and programs are located on the hard drive, but there are some, such as Kaspersky, CodeBlocks and FurMark, that are installed on the SSD. I am aware I will have to install those after a clean install of Win10.

I understand now what you meant with the Steam library. I don't really mind installing everything on Program Files (x86), I'm just used to it, but I get what you mean.

I did not come across those sort of tutorials, but I will keep an eye out for them.