[SOLVED] Intel CPU Overclocking Vs Turbo Boost. Can You Modify the Turbo Boost for Higher Clock Speeds?

djhz2001

Prominent
Jan 24, 2020
Hello,

I have a PC with an i7-6700K, which I can overclock to 4.7 GHz easily using my motherboard's game boost feature (MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ATX). Normally, the turbo boost speed for this CPU is 4.2 GHz, so the gain from an overclock is notorious. However, the overclock is constant, whereas the turbo boost only kicks in when needed. Therefore, a precise boost in speed when needed allows for the CPU to be more efficient (less power consumption), generate less heat, and last longer. A few months ago, I built a PC for someone in my family using a Ryzen 3600X CPU that I got on sale for about 200 dollars, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that, using the stock cooler, it boosted very well (really no need to overclock it). Compared to this, the clock speed boosts in Intel's CPUs are really underwhelming. Therefore, I wish there were more options for Intel CPUs. This is probably not possible, but I wonder if anybody knows whether you can modify the turbo boost settings so that the CPU boosts to higher clock speeds than stock. I already know the limits of my own CPU with the cooling I have, so it should be no problems in terms of CPU stability provided that I had a way to change the boost clock speed.

Solution
you cannot modify the turbo boost to go higher than specified.

There is no need to compare the chips like that, they have a great technological gap between them. The AMD coolers are known to be very good for "stock". Have a look at i7-9700k, Turbo Boost to 4.9Ghz.... your 6700k is still pretty good, set it up well, run tests to make sure system is stable and that's it.

You should OC, as many others do with their "k" chips. As long as you have a good cooler and you can keep the temps down, the chip will be okay.

There is no need to compare the chips like that, they have a great technological gap between them. The AMD coolers are known to be very good for "stock". Have a look at i7-9700k, Turbo Boost to 4.9Ghz.... your 6700k is still pretty good, set it up well, run tests to make sure system is stable and that's it.

You should OC, as many others do with their "k" chips. As long as you have a good cooler and you can keep the temps down, the chip will be okay.

Solution

djhz2001

Prominent
Jan 24, 2020

I suspected as much since everyone would be doing this if it was possible. I have no plans to buy another CPU for another 2 or 3 years for now since, as you said, my i7-6700K is still a good CPU and is running very well. Thanks for your reply.