Intel Overclocking Club

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mastergup

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

no its not, just like it, looking on the internet for deals, build a computer and sell it with profit.

mastergup

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010

see here my temps on my old cpu, also a 3570k, and same cooler as you, test was done under linx64

3570k | 4700mhz | 100x47 | 4C4T | 1.176v | Msi z77a-G45 | Water | Cooler master Seidon 120m | degrees Celsius 72/84/82/77

I redid my thermal paste today, but also moved my cooler back to the rear of the case so I'm not expecting to have any more luck with lower temps. I am also going to try and get a better PSU to ensure a more stable power flow.

zbay

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
How's it going everyone, currently getting 4387 out of a i-7 3770k with the asus mobo settings so I'm guessing I could probably get it a little faster. I tried to download the cpu-z file that is required for the group but the anti-virus isn't liking it and deletes it. Does anyone have a link from a good source where I can get the program?

Direct download : http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/1.71.1-setup-en.exe

Its from the official site, so it should be clean.

I would strongly recommend you not use automated settings when overclocking.

zbay

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014

Thanks for the link downloaded and installed just fine. Just curious Why would you not use the automated settings?

Auto tends to overcompensate with voltage setting, more voltage = more heat. More voltage = lower lifespan.

More control over the overclock = higher possible stable overclocks.

Its generally just better in every way possible to manual overclock.

b_murray

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Hi,

i5-4690k @ 4.6ghz
100x46
1.24v @ 80c while stressing (ouch!)
Corsair h100i water cooler
Z97 MSI PC Mate
Gskill Ripjaws-z 2400mhz 2x4gb

made the push for 4.7@1.27v but it got too hot (91C) and BSOD'd on the stress testing. Not too impressed with the h100i.

Liquid cooling disappoints more often than not.

b_murray

Reputable
Dec 21, 2014
Decided to back down to 4.5ghz, and think I found a sweet spot at 1.2v. Still pushing 80c during some MSI benchmark test, 75c during stress test. I wonder what I need to do to get this h100i running a little more efficiently... I don't feel like 1.2v could tax my old 212.

Not just about voltage. Set the fan profile on max, just as a test to see if that will improve things.

Normally I would blame the AOI pumps that are kinda poor for anything larger than 120mm rads, BUT for some reason pushing a lot of air through the H100i rad CAN give better results.

Hey guys, I need help Ocing my CPU. Specs are in my quote but lemme tell you

i5 4670k (3.8ghz )
MSI Z87 GD65 Motherboard
H100i with af 120 performance fans
Sapphire toxic R9280x 3gb 348bit GDDR5 GPU
2x4 G.skill X series ripjaw RAM
750W xfx gold modular PSU
1TB Seagate 7200rpm

Any help?

We can help you with basic things, but if you need more "detailed" help I would suggest create a thread for not do too much "spam" over here.

For now, download CoreTemp and let us know the reading that you get at idle and load.

Just basic info like how much to raise the Voltage and the CPU ratio each time (are those the only two i need to touch) and whats the MAX safe voltage. And what to stress test with and how long. Only.

markuskong

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Hello everyone! Stupid me posted in the wrong section lol... I was asked to relocate here. Any help/comments on the below would be awesome! Thank you guys!

SPECS:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77V-PRO
CPU: I5 3570K OVERCLOCKED TO 4.5GHZ (1.192v @ MAX)
Cooler: Corsair H100i (Just got today and installed today)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card: PNY Nvidia GTX 770 2gb Factory OC
Case: Thermaltake Core V71
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
Hard Drives: PNY 256 GB XLR8 PRO SSD
Crucial MX100 512 GB SSD

Below is the screen capture I took after running Prime95 for an hour
24gvzhj.png

I also had a question. Never overclocked an Intel CPU...(But I've done a bunch of video watching and web searching before I started) On windows it shows 3.40GHz
In my bios, it doesn't show 4.5GHz, it shows 3.4GHz. It only shows 4.5GHz in the AI Tweaker in yellow that says synchronizing target CPU turbo mode speed. But on CPU-Z as you see in the screen capture, its at 4.5GHz. Why is that? I know on my AMD rig, when I overclock it; it shows in Windows as 4.0GHz @ 4.5GHz. Am I doing something wrong? Thank you!

You're not alone, it did that to me too as well as many others. It's more of a windows glitch. Some said to stress test with occt, others said they noticed if booting into safe mode it will report the overclock in properties yet when booting to normal desktop it doesn't. Many have said if you turn off intel's speed step it will report accurately. I don't think I'd opt for that route, if your oc uses higher voltages speed step is what allows the cpu to throttle down when it's not under load and drop voltages down a bit rather than staying at full voltage constantly. I wouldn't worry about it, cpu-z shows the correct info.

Here's a thread I was looking at discussing it back from 2009-2012.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255132-29-windows-doesn-recognize-overclock

markuskong

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014
Awesome! I kinda had a feeling it is some kinda glitch... In BIOS under AI Tweaker (ASUS board), it does show 4.5GHz. In CPU-Z it shows 4.5GHz. I am guessing it has something to do with Windows. Thank you for the information. I agree with you, I don't plan on turning off speed step. I like my CPU downclocking right now when its not in use. Much quieter, less power consumption, and less heat.