Intel's Future Chips: News, Rumours & Reviews

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
Take this with a grain of salt, but it is coming from someone that I think is well-informed

CFL-S 6C/12T 350$
SKL-X 6C/12T ~440$
SKL-X 8C/16T ~620$
SKL-X 10C/20T ~1100$
SKL-X 12C/24T ~A lot

FullmetalJacket

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
SSDs don't bottle neck system,s. Very Very rarely is your CPU waiting for information from the hard drive even the fastest NVMe M.2 drives don't make any difference to windows load times as windows also cant keep up.It also makes no difference to any other calculation or function being run ,I don't where you got that idea from and If you can give me any examples where that applies ,I would be very surprised ,The limiting factors in a system are the Cpu and Gpu and to a lesser extent the chip set's , other than that hard drives and Ram, feed up enough ones and zeros for these components to struggle chewing through. Hence the of hyper threading and the like to reduce the choke points and get it calculated and through the cores.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
The 6 core Skylake-X processor is redundant. If you want a 6 core processor, then go for the cheaper one that has higher IPC. If you want more cores, then jump on the high-end platform.

Also, do you think the 16 core Ryzen processor would impact the price of the 10C and 12C Intel processors?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The cheaper one has lower IPC, but yes there is some overlap between CanonLake and Skylake-X. We have still to wait for full specs, but probable CannonLake was the preferred option for gamers and Skylake-X was the preferred option for professionals.

I guess the above pricing already considers competition. See also

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/paul-taylor/amds-ryzen-has-not-brought-the-price-wars-we-all-wantedneeded/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3193149/computers/intel-projects-decline-in-chip-prices-and-amds-ryzen-is-one-reason.html

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Coffee Lake has less IPC than Skylake? Doubtful. At the very least, it would have the same IPC, but I think Intel have managed to increase IPC on Coffee Lake.

If the rumored higher-core Ryzen parts are real, then that might end up lowering the price of the higher-end Intel processors. 16 cores/32 threads for only $1000 is a bargain.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

CoffeLake has same IPC than Kabylake and Skylake. The difference is on clocks. Skylake used 14nm, Kabylake got higher clocks by using 14nm+ and CanonLake uses the new 14nm++ to get still higher clocks.

On the other hand, Skylake-X is a different microarchitecture than Skylake. Skylake-X adds 512bit supports and the cache hierarchy changes a lot of. E.g. the L2 cache increases from 256KB to 1MB. This will bring significant IPC changes for workloads sensible to L2 size.

I think that 16C RyZen will probably lose to the 10C SKL-X on many cases.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Are you sure? I thought they were going to increase IPC with Coffee Lake. lol

Yeah, that's going to be crazy man.

That's like 32 threads vs 20. In most multi-threaded workload, Ryzen should get the win.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Intel abandoned the Tick-tock model time ago. It is now architecture --> process optimization --> process optimization.

CoffeeLake CPU has same IPC than Skylake and Kabylake. The difference is on clocks.

The 10C SKL-X will surely lose on throughput-optimized workloads like Blender, Handbrake,... but will surely win on everything else, specially on AVX512 workloads.

Optane really isn't going to move the needle much. You still have relatively slow HDDs compared to main memory; there's a reason we pre-load as much as possible.

Now yes, Optane and other tech would help this pre-load process out a TON (and I'm speaking as someone who's played DA:I, and had 2-3 minute wait periods on area transitions; stupid 7200k RPM HDD...), but actual in-game performance impact is basically nil; everything you need should already be in main memory at that point.[/quotemsg]

If Intel is able to successfully implement large enough sizes into NVDIMMs, like say we can push 512GB and split it, than we can easily stop the need for pre-loading.

Of course it will take time as with SSDs it will be very expensive to start but it is the eventuality of where storage has to go as even M.2 has shown it still is not nearly as fast as everything else.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
I know, but I thought they might be able to squeeze more IPC with Coffee Lake. lol

I see. I can't wait for Skylake-X to drop!

DDR5? DDR4 is barely gaining mainstream adoption now thanks to AMD finally catching up.

The earliest I see DDR5 being possible is 2018, per their own road map, which would mean either Icelake or Cannonlake-X would have it, most likely it would be an -X lineup first as it was with DDR4.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

We had it for quite a while now, AMD is just miles behind

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Today I discovered that the 12C Skylake Xeon has 3.6GHz base clocks. If those clocks translate to the Skylake-X line then this chip will be an absolute beast.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Considering the spec for DDR5 was filed by JEDEC ~8 months ago...it will be at minimum late 2018, and even then...that is being incredibly optimistic.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Yeah, that will put it at same clocks as stock 16c Ryzen.

Enthusiast have yes. But it still takes both sides before adoption is full enough to be considered.

We have had DDR4 since the X99 chipset which launched in 2014. However the first use of mainstream DDR4 was not until a year later, 2015. We have had mainstream use with Skylake and up of DDR4 for 2 years.

To show how it normally is we have had DDR3 since 2008 with Intels 4 series chipsets in June of 2008. The 4 series chipsets were both mainstream and enthusiast until Intel launches the X58 chipset on LGA1366 in November of 2008 so its adoption was much faster although AMD still lagged behind. However if we use the mainstream as a guide, DDR3 was mainstream until 2015 giving it a life cycle of 7 years.

I highly doubt DDR4 would be out in 2 years of mainstream use, especially since a lot of people are still on DDR3 as a lot of people still have Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell/Devils Canyon or AMDs FX/Athlon series.

Plus again, per JEDEC who designs the DDR spec, 2018 is when the official spec should launch which would probably put another year before Intel implements it, I assume Intel will adopt it first on a X platform and AMD will follow after Intel also launches it on a mainstream platform.

https://techreport.com/news/31673/ddr5-will-boost-bandwidth-and-lower-power-consumption

I don't see why not. And normally desktop platforms tend to get a higher clock since servers are not as worried about clock speed as they are designed around the TDP.

FullmetalJacket

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Totally agree and a hell of a lot of people eg Linus Paul Jay etc in the computer know have said the same things in videos review and opinion

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

10C Broadwell for server 3.1/3.8GHz <----> 10C Broadwell for desktop 3.0/3.5GHz.
12C Skylake for server 3.6/??GHz <----> 12C Skylake for desktop ??/??GHz.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Oh, that's going to be insane, considering the 10C Broadwell-E processor's base clock is at 3.0GHz.

Btw, going a little back to what you said, you said Skylake-X isn't the same microarchitecture as Skylake. Isn't Skylake-X basically Skylake + more L2 cache + a little less L3 cache + 512bit support?

FullmetalJacket

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Good NO IG ,No one in there right mind would use integrated graphics ,With a good chip ,If your building a workstation I always buy a graphics .Cheap for an office computer or High end for Studio or Engineering PCs.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

One would compare Xeon to Xeon. The fastest 12C Broadwell Xeon had 3.0GHz base clock and the fastest 12C Skylake Xeon has 3.6GHz base clock.

My guess for consumer chips

SKL 12C ~ 3.2GHz
SKL 10C ~ 3.4GHz
SKL 8C ~ 3.6GHz
SKL 6C ~ 3.8GHz
CFL 6C ~ 4.0GHz

Right, SKylake-X is a different microarchitecture. Cache structure (and performance) changes radically, and execution units and datapaths get updated to 512bit. There are also changes in other parts as on memory support: up to 2667MHz DDR4 and Intel Optane Technology.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
I guess.

That seems to be a pretty good guess. In line with what I thought the clocks for the 12C processor.

I see. So, basically an updated Skylake architecture, right? Also, won't Optane SSDs work on any PCIE slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.