Intel's Future Chips: News, Rumours & Reviews

Page 68 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The full lineage and specs

picture.php

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=15&pictureid=58

With IPC above Kabylake and turbo up to 4.5GHz, the new i9 series will be excellent choices for gamers

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1581001/intel-future-chips-news-rumours-reviews/page-33.html#19654883

To be fair, more cores using the same architecture would beat Ryzen is pretty much every benchmark under the sun, by virtue of the existing IPC advantage Intel has.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
Skylake-X > Skylake's IPC. Skylake-X bumps the L2 cache from 256KB per core to a whooping 1MB per core. Also, it supports AVX512. Add to that the architectural improvements of Skylake, and it becomes a different beast. lol

Oh, and one question. Does Haswell-E have more IPC than Haswell at the same clock and core count due to the increased L3 cache? Or is the increase nonexistent?

Depends if you factor L3 performance into the IPC equation.

I typically lump all processing impacts aside from Clock Speed under "IPC" when I do my comparisons [Performance = Clock * IPC * Num_Cores; its simplest form], because there's no real way to figure out processing impacts at that low a level. So by my metrics, yes, "IPC" goes up by virtue of the chip being every so slightly faster at the same clock (assuming the extra cores aren't doing anything).

Others here would argue otherwise, using a more narrow definition for IPC.

FullmetalJacket

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

If the data is not in the L3 cache the CPU has to access the main memory which is very slow and implies the CPU will lost cycles waiting for the needed data to continue with its work. Those extra cycles increase the CPI, (cycles per instruction), and thus reduces the IPC (instructions per cycle)

CPI = (1 / IPC)

Similar thoughts about L2 and L3 caches. If data is in the L2 cache then CPU doesn't waste cycles accessing the slower L3 cache. The L2 increase on SKL increases the IPC on workloads are sensible to this. Cinebench is one example.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Come on now, it's not that bad unless you actually need 10+ cores...
Depending on pricing, I'm looking at the 7740k or the 7800x.

Gon Freecss

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
I see.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the clarification.

Waiting to see the pricing, especially on the 7820x.

And I'll say it again: People are going to instantly complain that these CPUs will offer no tangible benefit in gaming the minute they get benchmarked. These CPUs serve limited purpose except to take away any momentum AMD may gain.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

This must be true for the models with the highest core counts, which are focused for workstation applications. However, the 8-core model is going to be a serious choice for gaming. It has higher IPC than Skylake and the same single core turbo that the quad-core 7700k. It would play low-threaded games like the 7770k, whereas destroying it on well-threaded games.

Caveat: OC headroom. In that price range, OC is indeed a variable to consider. If the 8C variants OC poorly, then the 7700K might still be relevant for games even with a performance disadvantage.

Cheers!

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Good point. SKL-X uses an improved 14nm+ process. I guess the new 8C model will get 4.7GHz on air without problems.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Looks like the final pricing is even better than I did heard.

The change in the cache hierarchy alone produces 20% higher IPC in some benches.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So it's down to the 7820x or 7800x. The 7740x and 7640x seem rather redundant, unless they don't burn up as easily as their little brothers do, and even then, the pricing(7700k & 7600k) may drop on them as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.