[SOLVED] Internet not working after installing new CPU

Apr 4, 2022
Hello all,

Today my flatmate installed a new CPU in her PC with my help. Upgraded from an i5-7600k to an i7-7700k. Installation went flawlessly, had to pop out the GPU to get at parts of the CPU cooler but it was resat just fine. Nothing else was touched, all connections have been checked along with Mobo clock and date and we're very confused.

The issue is that when the PC boots up, it registers that there's an i7 in there, still registers the 16gb DDR4 RAM, and Windows 10 itself states that it's connected to the internet via an Ethernet connection. No yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager and all drivers appear to be up to date, yet nothing internet wise will connect. Chrome either times out stating there's not enough memory (even though whilst having it open we've looked at RAM usage and it doesn't even go over 20%), or it states that there's an SSL error. Steam won't display any store pages, Microsoft Edge won't show anything on it at all.

It seems like the computer has no internet connection, but it does. All we've done is install a new CPU and understandably she doesn't want to have to reinstall/reset Windows 10 as she'll lose a lot of her assets.

Does anyone know what we could do here to try and fix this issue? Any help is appreciated.

Solution
Tried the ping.exe and got a reply after five tests, set the BIOS to default, still the same issue. Connection for 20-30 seconds then Chrome states "Out of Memory". At this point, we're starting to think we may need to fresh install windows. We tried just resetting it but keeping files but it said there was a problem resetting therefore no changes were made. So I think full reinstall is all that's left.
clean install would most likely be the quickest fix.

you might start cmd as an admin and run
netsh winsock reset
and see if it has any effect. Still would not know why change of cpu would cause this problem though. chrome would have to be displaying the wrong error code also.
----------
you might also start cmd.exe as an admin...
Apr 4, 2022
full system spec? include brand and model of the psu
check bios settings?
CPU: Intel i7-7700k
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133mhz 2x8GB
PSU: Corsair CS750M

Can't think what else to tell really. Checked BIOS settings already but if there's anything in particular I should be looking for lemme know.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: rgd1101
Apr 4, 2022
Yes put the unpacked file on a FAT32 formatted usb stick (is usually already like that) and use the update tool in the bios to do the update. Even when it might seem to take a while let it go until fully finished.
Sadly, it didn't work. We updated, left it for a while, restarted, got on Chrome and had the same issue. We can open chrome, get as far as YouTube, but as soon as we try to play a video or, if we just let it sit for a moment, it crashes and says that it's Out Of Memory and from what I can see online all the fixes for that are to clear your cache 'n' makes sure things aren't using excess RAM and such but, nothing's changed on that front. Still 16GB of RAM, still crashing on one single open tab. We just can't get a stable internet connection it seems.

Apr 4, 2022
Just updated the ethernet driver now as well, still the same issue. Randomly running out of memory. It seems to be some sort of unstable connection issue. Discord opens, but ever 10-15 seconds it restarts, same with Steam. We get to the store but within moments it refreshes and says it can't connect.

Hello all,

Today my flatmate installed a new CPU in her PC with my help. Upgraded from an i5-7600k to an i7-7700k. Installation went flawlessly, had to pop out the GPU to get at parts of the CPU cooler but it was resat just fine. Nothing else was touched, all connections have been checked along with Mobo clock and date and we're very confused.

The issue is that when the PC boots up, it registers that there's an i7 in there, still registers the 16gb DDR4 RAM, and Windows 10 itself states that it's connected to the internet via an Ethernet connection. No yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager and all drivers appear to be up to date, yet nothing internet wise will connect. Chrome either times out stating there's not enough memory (even though whilst having it open we've looked at RAM usage and it doesn't even go over 20%), or it states that there's an SSL error. Steam won't display any store pages, Microsoft Edge won't show anything on it at all.

It seems like the computer has no internet connection, but it does. All we've done is install a new CPU and understandably she doesn't want to have to reinstall/reset Windows 10 as she'll lose a lot of her assets.

Does anyone know what we could do here to try and fix this issue? Any help is appreciated.
well, I would start with the basic: start cmd.exe as an admin then run
ipconfig.exe /all
look for the network gateway then try to ping it
ping.exe 192.168.0.1 (or whatever your gateway ip address is)
and see if you get a response from the router.

well, I would start with the basic: start cmd.exe as an admin then run
ipconfig.exe /all
look for the network gateway then try to ping it
ping.exe 192.168.0.1 (or whatever your gateway ip address is)
and see if you get a response from the router.
only thing I can think of that might cause this would be if after you replaced the CPU you did not go into the bios and reset it to defaults and reboot. Windows can get really confused into thinking you have two different cpus but only one PCI root bus. (one CPU working and one cpu that stopped working, it ties up a lot of resources and may prevent devices from loading)

debugger might show plug and play manager trying to load drivers and failing. Normally this will bugcheck after a while but can only be read in a kernel memory dump.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2022
only thing I can think of that might cause this would be if after you replaced the CPU you did not go into the bios and reset it to defaults and reboot. Windows can get really confused into thinking you have two different cpus but only one PCI root bus. (one CPU working and one cpu that stopped working, it ties up a lot of resources and may prevent devices from loading)

debugger might show plug and play manager trying to load drivers and failing. Normally this will bugcheck after a while but can only be read in a kernel memory dump.
Tried the ping.exe and got a reply after five tests, set the BIOS to default, still the same issue. Connection for 20-30 seconds then Chrome states "Out of Memory". At this point, we're starting to think we may need to fresh install windows. We tried just resetting it but keeping files but it said there was a problem resetting therefore no changes were made. So I think full reinstall is all that's left.

clean install would most likely be the quickest fix.

you might start cmd as an admin and run
netsh winsock reset
and see if it has any effect. Still would not know why change of cpu would cause this problem though. chrome would have to be displaying the wrong error code also.
----------
you might also start cmd.exe as an admin and check the active sockets
netstat.exe -b
just to see if you are running out of winsock connections.
or if they are all in close_wait state (300 second timeout)
this tool will show the socket and the name of the binary that is using it and its state. if something is wrong windows will limit the connections to try to slow access for malware down.

Last edited:
Solution