Question Internet speed drops dramatically while running any multiplayer game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 13, 2019
I have really weird problem with my internet. When I'm playing any multiplayer game that requires Internet connection my internet speed gets decreased dramatically.

My download speed is usually around 20 Mbps but when I launch any multiplayer game it gets decreased to 0.2 - 0.5 Mbps. I've tested it with league, csgo and overwatch - every game causes this problem. And it's funny because the game is running fine, normal ping, no lag, nothing - perfectly stable. It almost feels like when I connect to a game it disables all the Internet for everything else expect the game I'm playing which sounds ridiculus but that's what it actually feels like!

It started happening 3 days ago. I've noticed this problem when I was playing the game and listening to the music from youtube in the background and it started buffering really hard, even loading simple page in browser took like 10-20 seconds.
I've been searching on the Internet for 3 days trying to solve this issue but no luck.

This is my normal internet speed:
t55xVW0.png

This is my speed when I'm running a game like CSGO (not even playing, just idling in the menu (???)):
BtJnOWz.png

I've also made some other download tests. Notice how my internet speed graph in task manager looks like:
YcLfpRP.png

The big pit of internet slowing down is when I was running CSGO, when I exited the game everything went back to normal.

This is the weirdest issue I've ever encountered. I think the call to my ISP may be the last thing I can do.
If anyone got any idea what's wrong I'd be really greatfull for the solution.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
That's a very interesting problem you've found yourself with. To start with let's try to narrow down what the problem actually is.

The first test would be doing the speed test on a second device while your computer runs CSGO or another game that causes the issue. If the other devices work normally then it will tell us that the issue is either related to the hardware or software on your PC, and should (probably) be independent of your ISP or router.

Fortunately that big of a bandwidth gap makes it easy to test for that.

If it is directly related to your PC, then try plugging the ethernet cable into your motherboard instead of the add-in PCIe NIC that you're currently using. Depending on if the issue persists or not will help us narrow down the issue further :) If the issue is resolved by plugging it into the motherboard, then we can start looking into the NIC drivers for potential issues (it could be a "feature" rather than a bug).

Jun 13, 2019
Thank you for the answers.

I've made some more tests lately and it turns out the problem is with my computer! The issue persists even when I'm using different Internet providers (tried with my phone internet and in my parents place so ISP's differ).

Also I'm using a laptop so I don't think it's possible to plug ethernet cable directly to the motherboard (I'm not sure how it works in laptops). The issue still exists even when I connect through Wi-fi if that means something.

Next thing is that it's not actually all games that cause this issue. I additionaly tested it with Dayz and Battlefield and they work fine. So it's only some games. (still 3 out of 5)
I've also run Malwarebytes scan to search for potential visuses but everything seems to be clean.

My laptop is Lenovo legion y520.

Jun 13, 2019
This! I tried playing a game in safe mode and everything works. Now how can I pinpoint software causing this? I seriously have no clue, I don't remember instaling anything suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.