[SOLVED] Is 550 W enough for a Ryzen 5 5600x and an RTX 3060 TI ?

Nov 13, 2020
Hello,

I have a PSU from Seasonic 550 W 80+ Bronze (Seasonic S12III-550) and I have a Ryzen 5 5600x and a soon to come Gigabyte RTX 3060 Ti (Code : N306TGAMINGOC PRO-8GD). Will my PSU hold up with the specs ?

Thanks,

Zomelock

Solution
Yeah but with 0 oc will it be able to sustain them right?
It might be a borderline case where your probability of sustenance is tentative and to an extent dependable on the condition of that unit where you might or might not just get away with it. But if I am buying such expensive hardware, will I take that chance???
A clear and resounding "NO" from me. Better to be safe than sorry. Your call mate.
It might just hold up, but that PSU is pretty mediocre quality. If it is still in the return period, return it and get something better from Tier A. Otherwise upgrade it as soon as you can...

Reactions: King_V
Dec 8, 2020
The simple answer is No. The 3000 series cards are HUGE power hogs and can have power draw spikes as many reviewers have found.

My personal practice is to have about 30% more power supply than what my system uses at max. Also my favored minimum rating is 80 plus gold.

750-1000w 80 plus gold would be my solid recommendation.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
It might just hold up, but that PSU is pretty mediocre quality. If it is still in the return period, return it and get something better from Tier A. Otherwise upgrade it as soon as you can...

Now until I make the money to buy a new psu can I run it without OC ?

The simple answer is No. The 3000 series cards are HUGE power hogs and can have power draw spikes as many reviewers have found.

My personal practice is to have about 30% more power supply than what my system uses at max. Also my favored minimum rating is 80 plus gold.

750-1000w 80 plus gold would be my solid recommendation.
This whole system wont use more than 450w. 750-1000w is insane overkill.

Reactions: adityaanand430
Assuming no overclocking on CPU and GPU then yes.

750-1000 will allow for upgrades down the road and handle any power spikes the 30 series is already known for

I’m running a 3700X (PBO on) and RTX3080 with a 650w platinum psu with zero issues. Under gaming load it stays around 450w from the wall, under stress testing it peaked at 546w. NVidia recommended a 750w for the 3080 when using a 10900k.

From what I read it’s not the power rating that’s causing issues with 3000 series but the transient response hold up performance of the psu. This is why mediocre quality PSU’s of 750w & 850w can still have issues yet high quality 650w work fine.

As for the OP the 3060Ti is reporting at about 200-210w and the 5600x is <100w with PBO. Unless there is a specific plan to upgrade in the future a 750-1000w is just wasting money. A high quality 550w is more than enough.

Yeah but with 0 oc will it be able to sustain them right?
It might be a borderline case where your probability of sustenance is tentative and to an extent dependable on the condition of that unit where you might or might not just get away with it. But if I am buying such expensive hardware, will I take that chance???
A clear and resounding "NO" from me. Better to be safe than sorry. Your call mate.

Solution