[SOLVED] Is it dangerous to use VGA output at default resolution ?

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Hello,

I've got a very old laptop that has Intel Pentium Dual Core T4400 @ 2.20 GHZ with no dedicated GPU running on Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 2x2 GB DDR3 RAMs @1066Mhz Toshiba Satellite L450-18p

My laptop just got fixed by replacing its power supply so it runs fine now thanks to the laptop tech guy

The Laptop tech guy I know who is very pro at his job with years of fixing laptop chipsets soldering delidding experience tells me that I should never use the VGA output to a screen even though I set it to the default resolution and refresh rate due to the fact that it is dangerous according to him. It always damages laptop chipsets he says even for normal web browsering

Can't argue with this guy but I really wanna use it all the time through my TV. I don't use multi screen desktop.

Is he right ?

Solution
The Laptop tech guy I know who is very pro at his job with years of fixing laptop chipsets soldering delidding experience tells me that I should never use the VGA output to a screen even though I set it to the default resolution and refresh rate due to the fact that it is dangerous according to him. It always damages laptop chipsets he says even for normal web browsering
You don't have to argue with the guy but you can ask him what he means.
Does the chipset get too hot and breaks after some time, do the TVs send a bad signal to the chipset. What is supposed to be the problem?
I never heard of such a thing.
VGA is an analog output( the 9 pin blue one)
I imagine that the tech could be correct based on his experience.
I think it is a moot point.
Your laptop has hdmi output which is digital and also carries sound.
No doubt that is what you need for a TV.

Vulmaro

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
VGA is an analog output( the 9 pin blue one)
I imagine that the tech could be correct based on his experience.
I think it is a moot point.
Your laptop has hdmi output which is digital and also carries sound.
No doubt that is what you need for a TV.
Mine doesn't have HDMI socket, and my old LED TV supports VGA as well. I have used with it before but the screen was a bit blurry. I assumed it was due to the analog cable quality. The cable wasn't long though

Analog does not produce image quality as good as digital.
If you can use digital.
What "mine" does not have hdmi? the tv or the laptop?
If you do not have a hdmi or dp connection, how are you getting sound out of the tv?

If you must use vga, invest in a good quality connection cable. It could make a difference.

You don't have to argue with the guy but you can ask him what he means.
Does the chipset get too hot and breaks after some time, do the TVs send a bad signal to the chipset. What is supposed to be the problem?
I never heard of such a thing.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS