yahyaelgayar

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2014
Hey,i'm facing a really weird thing.every couple of months or so, my pc refuses to boot ,cpu and memory error leds light up. i went to a repair shop 3 different times and every time they tell me that the cpu is dead. yet when i take the pc back i fuzz around with the memory and keep rebooting it and somehow it boots. worth noting that my board won't allow daul channeling (windows says that there's 16 gigs of ram but only 7.95 are useable),but when i put the ram in none daul channeling positions (slot 3 and 4) it says that 15+ gigs are available. is it the board or the cpu? i tested the rest of the components and they work just fine.i also tried the cpu on a newer board and it gave a cpu error but that doesn't make much sense? right now i'm on my pc with one stick of ram cuz the pc wouldn't boot with 2 sticks in the same time for some reason. both sticks are functional. please help if you know what this is.

Specs:
Cpu:Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.0 Ghz.
Mobo: MSI b350 tomahawk Arctic.
Memory: 8X2 hyper x ddr4 2400 mhz.
GPU: gtx 1050ti 4 gb
psu: 500w 80+ thermaltake

Solution
Hey,i'm facing a really weird thing.every couple of months or so, my pc refuses to boot ,cpu and memory error leds light up. i went to a repair shop 3 different times and every time they tell me that the cpu is dead. yet when i take the pc back i fuzz around with the memory and keep rebooting it and somehow it boots. worth noting that my board won't allow daul channeling (windows says that there's 16 gigs of ram but only 7.95 are useable),but when i put the ram in none daul channeling positions (slot 3 and 4) it says that 15+ gigs are available. is it the board or the cpu? i tested the rest of the components and they work just fine.i also tried the cpu on a newer board and it gave a cpu error but that doesn't make much sense? right...

sdedu77

Respectable
Dec 9, 2018
Are the ram sticks from the same kit? Is there any overclock or bios tweaking? What specific cpu error is it?
Perhaps there is some debris in the dimm slots. Try cleaning those with a brush or something like that.

yahyaelgayar

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2014
Are the ram sticks from the same kit? Is there any overclock or bios tweaking? What specific cpu error is it?
Perhaps there is some debris in the dimm slots. Try cleaning those with a brush or something like that.
Yes,no,just cpu error led lights up no boot, no i dont think thats it i cleaned them plus it's only a memory issue it's a cpu issue too

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Hey my friend sorry to say your motherboard is botched. If your getting the red lights on boot up it is either CPU or RAM or physically the motherboard is bunked out. The good news is you can still use the computer but note the motherboard is faulty. That red light on either CPU or RAM won't go away and you will continue to have boot up issues. However as I said the system can still function normally. What might happen is your going to get a lot of BSODs and black screens and freezes but don't quote me on that as Im just warning you ahead of time. The best thing to do at this point is to RMA the motherboard or take it to shop and tell them to put ina replacement mobo for you.🤷‍♀️💯🙈

Hey,i'm facing a really weird thing.every couple of months or so, my pc refuses to boot ,cpu and memory error leds light up. i went to a repair shop 3 different times and every time they tell me that the cpu is dead. yet when i take the pc back i fuzz around with the memory and keep rebooting it and somehow it boots. worth noting that my board won't allow daul channeling (windows says that there's 16 gigs of ram but only 7.95 are useable),but when i put the ram in none daul channeling positions (slot 3 and 4) it says that 15+ gigs are available. is it the board or the cpu? i tested the rest of the components and they work just fine.i also tried the cpu on a newer board and it gave a cpu error but that doesn't make much sense? right now i'm on my pc with one stick of ram cuz the pc wouldn't boot with 2 sticks in the same time for some reason. both sticks are functional. please help if you know what this is.

Specs:
Cpu:Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.0 Ghz.
Mobo: MSI b350 tomahawk Arctic.
Memory: 8X2 hyper x ddr4 2400 mhz.
GPU: gtx 1050ti 4 gb
psu: 500w 80+ thermaltake

What BIOS revision are you on? I'd suggest updating if not on 7A34vHG. B350 boards are notorious for memory support on 1st gen CPU's, something that improved with every AGESA and BIOS update.

Be sure to reset CMOS, both before you do the update and after. Pull battery, short pins for a few minutes then reassemble.

Even if you are up to date you might just do a CMOS reset to see if it helps.

Solution