Question Is it my cpu overheating?

darionberg

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
So, maybe a week ago I started playing Dying light with a friend of mine when my desktop just black screened and instantly restarted. I've been having this issue more and more often for less and less demanding programs. I opened up the side and can feel the heat on the motherboard sinks. Originally I assumed it was my trash gpu and looking at the temperatures seemed to suggest the same but, I just replaced it today and am still having the same issue. My question is whether this is my cpu overheating or whether my motherboard is somehow the issue.

Also as a secondary, if I do need to replace my processor, but not my board, what would be a decent replacement on an AM3+ socket.

My rig:
AMD FX6300 6 core 3.5 Mhz
24 GB RAM
EVGA GTX 1660 Super
Thermaltake Toughpower GOld 750W
ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Windows 7 Pro

darionberg

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015

woot

Distinguished

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
that is not a link that is a path to his c: drive on his pc with a text file, paste the contents of the text file, not the file, is just plain text

have you ever done any mitenance to the cpu heatsink, clean it, change thermal paste? do you have it since new?

darionberg

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
Man, do I feel like a dolt... I can't insert a file but, II ran it again and this is the average.
Minimum 36
Average 44
Maximum 52

That is with Notepad, Windows Explorer, Discord and Chrome open.

Also yes, I actually just cleaned it out and put new thermal paste on it a a couple hours ago.

woot

Distinguished
Man, do I feel like a dolt... I can't insert a file but, II ran it again and this is the average.
Minimum 36
Average 44
Maximum 52

That is with Notepad, Windows Explorer, Discord and Chrome open.

Also yes, I actually just cleaned it out and put new thermal paste on it a a couple hours ago.
whats the temps during sustained heavy load/gaming

darionberg

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I can't really give those cause my computer crashes before I can actually get any heavy gaming in. All I've been able to do at the moment is World of Warships and Company of Heroes. I'm too scared to try anything else. I'm checking the numbers now during World of Warships but, Dying Light, for example, I last a few seconds after loading into the map.

Could it be a PSU problem? Not providing enough power due to age and the drawn wattage just kills the computer for a second? Though, admittedly, the computer just restarts immediately and doesn't sit dead...

Last edited:

darionberg

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
Four or five years now I think. Also, I just talked to one of my old colleagues and he mentioned that the power grid here is very prone to taking out psu's. It is sounding more and more likely, especially with the normal temperatures of the CPU that maybe it could be the PSU...

woot

Distinguished
Four or five years now I think. Also, I just talked to one of my old colleagues and he mentioned that the power grid here is very prone to taking out psu's. It is sounding more and more likely, especially with the normal temperatures of the CPU that maybe it could be the PSU...
5 years is some time for a average psu, dust is big factor too, go ahead and swap in a new one.

darionberg

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
I'll have to see if any of my friends have a PSU they could let me test. I don't have the money to order something I don't need this moment so, that might be the way to go.

darionberg

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
Okay, now I am running into a host of issues. When I tried testing my machine with a different psu, my machine wouldn't boot. Through process of elimination I found that my system drive(SSD) when plugged in at all would prevent the computer from even starting. So, shorted drive, perfect. Got a new SSD yesterday and installed windows 7 again(Admittedly the version that I used before was pro and all I could find this time was ultimate). Now my storage drive, that hasn't shown any issues and still spins, doesn't even show up in BIOS. So far I haven't had any crashing issues with my old PSU on the new SSD but, that doesn't make a whole heap of sense to me. Is it even possible that my hard drive failing caused that earlier issue? And does it sound like my HDD is also shot or are there any steps I can take?