Question Is it possible to set up raid 0 with M.2 SSD and SATA SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge24

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Main Question
I'm building a new rig for game development, music production, and some rendering here and there so I want to have really good storage performance.
I have a 1TB SATA SSD on my current rig. I want to transfer that SATA SSD over to the new rig and buy a 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD to set up a raid 0 config between the two. Is this possible?

Alternative
If so, would it be better to buy a 2nd M.2 NVMe SSD to do the raid 0?
I've been reading that NVMe has much better performance than SATA so I'm thinking of using 2 NVMe SSDs instead of 1 NVMe and 1 SATA? What are your thoughts? Is this overkill?

Other Concerns:
I'm thinking of buying this MSI 370 MOBO which has only one M.2 slot. Besides the two PCIe x16 slots, the rest are four PCIe 3.0 x1 slots.
I think I could buy an adapter to plug the M.2 to the PCIe x1 slot for the 2nd M.2 SSD. However, since NVMe SSDs use PCIe x4, would I be reducing its speed with the adapter?
Maybe I should just buy a MOBO that comes with two M.2 slots?

Even if you could mix an NVME and SATA drive (Thankfully, you cannot), you'd be limited to the slowest SATA drive's speeds, so, we'll just say, even if you could..

so...you would not want to....

An M.2/ NVME drive is about the equivalent of 5-6 SATA drives in RAID 0 anyway....

Jorge24

Honorable
May 17, 2013
An M.2/ NVME drive is about the equivalent of 5-6 SATA drives in RAID 0 anyway....
Thanks for the input! In that case I'm thinking that buying a single 2TB NVMe SSD would be best for now. However, in the future, if I want to add a 2nd M.2 NVMe SSD, what would be the best way to do that?
Would using one of the PCIe x1 slots reduce it's speed to 1/4 of its capacity?
If so, could I just plug in the "PCIe x4 to M.2 adapter" on the 2nd PCIe x16 slot?

tony95x

Reputable
Oct 3, 2017
Even if you could mix an NVME and SATA drive (Thankfully, you cannot), you'd be limited to the slowest SATA drive's speeds, so, we'll just say, even if you could..

so...you would not want to....

This is incorrect, you can certainly stripe across any combination of disk types. HDD, NVME or SATA. The slower disks will slow down the array, but the question is how much. In raid 1 it will be the speed of the slowest disk, but in raid 0 I believe it will be the average of all the disk speeds.

USAFRet

Titan
This is incorrect, you can certainly stripe across any combination of disk types. HDD, NVME or SATA. The slower disks will slow down the array, but the question is how much. In raid 1 it will be the speed of the slowest disk, but in raid 0 I believe it will be the average of all the disk speeds.
  1. 3 year old thread
  2. OMG, do not do this.
The speed is not an 'average'. A RAID 0 across different drives ends up at the speed of the slowest, and 2x the size of the smallest.

In the history of bad ideas, this is one of the worst.

In any case, closing this 3 year old thread.
If you wish to discuss the benefits and drawbacks of RAID <whatever>, please start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.