[SOLVED] Is it safe to run my GTX 1070 at a constant 1093 mV voltage? (reason in main text).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 22, 2020
So, basically my Sager laptop's GTX 1070 "died" late last summer. Except it kinda didn't. After nearly a year of trying to get it working again, I stumbled upon a solution of sorts. My card would crash as soon as I ran any game and would BSOD and reboot Windows. But using Afterburner to lock the core frequency and voltage high enough (in my case 1885 MHz / 1093 mV) keeps it from crashing at all, as long as the GPU temperature is above 60C. If the temperature is below 60C while running a game: BSOD. (Would be great if someone could explain why that is). Anyway, I usually game from 1-3 hours a day, a few days a week. Is it safe for my GPU to be running at that voltage constantly? My GPU temps reach 90C and the core clock throttles down to about 15xx-16xx MHz by then but remains stable, no crashing, artifacting, or any other errors.

I can also try running at a lower voltage, say 900 mV, but unfortunately the card doesn't get warm enough while idle to reach 60c. And I don't know if running it at 1093 mV until it warms up and then lowering the voltage is bad. I've done it before but the card still reaches 90c while gaming and the clocks are lower, so it feels pointless.

Solution
If that is what it takes, I don't see any issue. Pretty common to run 10 series GPUs at the maximum if you were overclocking. Increased voltage just means reduced lifespan, but you are already there anyway.

As for why cold temperatures are bad, hard to say. Could be a glitch in the sensors that causes an odd condition which trips a power state or something.

Some of the monitoring tools out there will tell you what causes a throttle condition, but if the PC bluescreens, probably not going to get much out that.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If that is what it takes, I don't see any issue. Pretty common to run 10 series GPUs at the maximum if you were overclocking. Increased voltage just means reduced lifespan, but you are already there anyway.

As for why cold temperatures are bad, hard to say. Could be a glitch in the sensors that causes an odd condition which trips a power state or something.

Some of the monitoring tools out there will tell you what causes a throttle condition, but if the PC bluescreens, probably not going to get much out that.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.