yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
Hi, i have Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC 3GB GDDR5 384-Bit GPU, but it have 8+8 Pin power connectors(i've tried to run 8+6 leds and fans are fine but no display in the result of my search that card can only run with 8+8 Pin.) to run but i have only 8+6 Pin. Now, i'm looking for a Molex To 8-Pin Adapters but some people doesn't recommend them. They said it could cause overheating or burning if it's have poor quality.

I've bought that card about 1 months ago and i'm still can't using it because of the that connector issue. I'm still rocking with my HD 3650 :).

So, i just want to use that card as soon as possible.

I don't really want to pay an new PSU.

PSU Model: SilverStone 700W 80+ Bronze (8+6 Pin PCI-E Connectors. 7 months old i think.)

Is it safe to use them? Also, some people said that these adaptors should have an copper cable or something like that.

Thanks in advance.

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
Hi, i just used Molex To 8-Pin Adapter for my R9 280X. I've played GTA V for 45 minutes and boom, yeah PSU was blown and the fuse gone off. PSU smells like burnt. Other components are smells fine. 7 month ago my other PSU is blown but other components didn't take any damage.

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
You need to buy a adequate good quality psu and test them. Using a psu that needed an adapter is a clear sign it was inadequate for the job.
I'm going to buy FSP Hydro 600W model. Is that good enough PSU for my system?

CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 3.00 GHz (Needs 120W at full load)
MB: Asus ROG Commando
GPU: R9 280X Sapphire Tri-X OC(Needs at least 250W at full load)

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
You need to buy a adequate good quality psu and test them. Using a psu that needed an adapter is a clear sign it was inadequate for the job.
and adapters in general are even more, but that's not why we're here

if you can, check the pcb of the motherboard and gpu around the vrm, your connectors and cables and such if you see any signs of burning marks or something alike.

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
and adapters in general are even more, but that's not why we're here

if you can, check the pcb of the motherboard and gpu around the vrm, your connectors and cables and such if you see any signs of burning marks or something alike.
MB PCB and GPU's VRM looks fine. I've most worrying about the GPU. I can upload some photos of GPU.

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
i actually looked earlier today. gigabyte p650b should be affordable enough for you, and has unlike whatever you used proper regulation and everything. at least, i hoped you learned your lesson after this
Yeah, i was thinking about the p650b too. And in Turkish forums, people recommended that model too.

Components looks undamaged. The fuse protected them i think. I've learned my lesson. There's was a reason that they didn't put that PSU another 8-Pin cable. And people was warned me to don't use any adapters or something like that. Yeah, they're right.
Also that 3rd PSU that has blown in my PC. Other 2 PC was survived, now i think it's fine.

Also, thanks for your help. I'll buy P650B. We'll see if components are fine or dead.

I've bought that GPU 2 weeks ago. That was my first time to using it.

I was using bad quality PSU. I think it can handle that power-hungry GPU.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Yeah, i was thinking about the p650b too. And in Turkish forums, people recommended that model too.
do keep in mind that the 500w model is internally not the same, but worse. otherwise it would be a decent option, looking at the prices I've seen at a turkish shop.

if you find any different models on a more local level, feel free to ask me about them

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
do keep in mind that the 500w model is internally not the same, but worse. otherwise it would be a decent option, looking at the prices I've seen at a turkish shop.

if you find any different models on a more local level, feel free to ask me about them
I'll buy P650B. I think that's best Price/Performance PSU in my country.

yullbarez

Commendable
Jan 17, 2019
Hi, my old PSU is blown due to using Molex To 8-Pin apater. Now, i'm looking for a high quality Gold certified PSU. My thought is buying Sharkoon 550W 80+ Gold Zero model but i'm not sure if it's enough for my PC.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 3.00 GHz (Requires 120W according to İntel's website)
MB: Asus ROG Commando
GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X OC3 GB GDDR5 384-Bit(Requires 250W or more needs 8+8 Pin PCle power).
RAM: Kingston 6GB DDR2 800 MHz CL6 (2GBX2+1GBX2) 1.8V
HDD: Samsung HD155UI 1.5 TB 5400 RPM
HDD2: Samsung HD250HJ 250 GB 7200 RPM

Thanks.