[SOLVED] Is it worth building a pc now ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
So i am thinking of building my first gaming PC, I've got about 1100 to spend not including peripherals and i aim to play MW, BFV, and Metro and any future games. Is now the best time to buy something like a 9600k and a 2070 super or 2060 super? I know the new one are coming out but dont know when. What is your opinion should i wait for the new 3000 series Nvidia gpus and the tiger lake cpu's or is that not worth it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Wouldn't spend money on 6 core cpus for the types of games you want to play, especially at higher frame rates.

8700/k/9700/k or Ryzen 3600/x or higher.

8600k is similar to the 9600k and BF1 is quite cpu intensive, probably a little less than BF5. This is what's happening to it;

You could wait for Intel 10th gen. They'll be including Hyperthreading on it's i5/i7s.

Reactions: Red2Six

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Wouldn't spend money on 6 core cpus for the types of games you want to play, especially at higher frame rates.

8700/k/9700/k or Ryzen 3600/x or higher.

8600k is similar to the 9600k and BF1 is quite cpu intensive, probably a little less than BF5. This is what's happening to it;

You could wait for Intel 10th gen. They'll be including Hyperthreading on it's i5/i7s.
Do you think intels is worth the wait, and amd too? Or should i get a rtx 2070 or 2060 and pair it with a ryzen cpu? idk how long it will take for the new ones to come out and i was planning on buying a setup now and selling the parts i would upgrade later on.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
It would be hard to recommend the 9600K with other 6c/12t options like the 3600 available...
Do you think intels is worth the wait, and amd too? Or should i get a rtx 2070 or 2060 and pair it with a ryzen cpu? idk how long it will take for the new ones to come out and i was planning on buying a setup now and selling the parts i would upgrade later on.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Probably sometime back half of this year, maybe around June~July we might see 10th gen, possibly later.

Could be worth waiting for benchmarks to appear which are rumoured around the end of May.

Tough call but Ryzen 3600x~3700x paired with 2x8GB or 2x16GB of 3600 CL16 ram on a decent motherboard ie, B450 Tomahawk Max, x570 Gigabyte Aorus series or x570 Asus Rog line of boards would be pretty good too.

Complemented with a nice case with good air flow.

Reactions: Red2Six and DMAN999
If you keep waiting for new rumored products to release, you might as well never build a PC. If you want to build one, I say just do it, unless there is a set release date for new hardware you are interested in. New stuff is always "coming soon", really. But I agree with the above, saying that you should go with a Ryzen 5 3600 instead of the Intel you were looking at. They are great chips, matching or beating Intels offerings at a lower cost. As far as new products, they might be delayed too. With the Virus shutting down a lot of production, the R+D for new chips might have slowed, pushing the new releases even farther away than was originally thought.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard with a ryzen 3600x is that a good combo ?

Probably sometime back half of this year, maybe around June~July we might see 10th gen, possibly later.

Could be worth waiting for benchmarks to appear which are rumoured around the end of May.

Tough call but Ryzen 3600x~3700x paired with 2x8GB or 2x16GB of 3600 CL16 ram on a decent motherboard ie, B450 Tomahawk Max, x570 Gigabyte Aorus series or x570 Asus Rog line of boards would be pretty good too.

Complemented with a nice case with good air flow.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Out of the box support for 3rd gen im not sure. Could be, or need to get the bios updated.

If go Asus, best go x570. If B450, Msi Tomahawk Max supports 3rd gen out of the box.
Im looking to spend a lil over 100 but what is the difference between the x570 and the bf450. Is one more future proof or what? I am also looking to oc and i have 3600 cl18 ram to pair with the 3600x

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...t-specifications-motherboard-specs,40467.html

X570 is more than just Gen4, it's what it does with it. With B450 you share ports with storage and pcie x16, Gen3 and Gen2 mixed lanes etc. X570 is all dedicated Gen4, no sharing, full performance from the 5700xt etc.

And that's not including the extra ports, upgraded Amps on the VRM's etc. There's a few decent B450's that'll handle upto a 3950x, but that's pushing it close, for the 3700x and up a X570 is a safer option.

Is it worth it to upgrade now? That's iffy. I'm in the middle of workin on my new build and Amazon is wanting almost $700 for an Asus X570 mITX, a $250 board at newegg (out of stock, figures), the $113 SFX shot up to $189 before going out of stock, so with Covid-19 creating issues with shipping, essentials and priority shipping only at times, shortages of stock etc, there's plenty of price gouging happening. "Oh, I'm stuck at home for the next month, time to upgrade the pc! (oh, quick, let's jack prices up because ppl are stuck at home and will spend money on upgrades now! )"

Worth it? I dunno.

Last edited:
Reactions: boju

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...t-specifications-motherboard-specs,40467.html

X570 is more than just Gen4, it's what it does with it. With B450 you share ports with storage and pcie x16, Gen3 and Gen2 mixed lanes etc. X570 is all dedicated Gen4, no sharing, full performance from the 5700xt etc.

And that's not including the extra ports, upgraded Amps on the VRM's etc. There's a few decent B450's that'll handle upto a 3950x, but that's pushing it close, for the 3700x and up a X570 is a safer option.

Is it worth it to upgrade now? That's iffy. I'm in the middle of workin on my new build and Amazon is wanting almost $700 for an Asus X570 mITX, a $250 board at newegg (out of stock, figures), the $113 SFX shot up to $189 before going out of stock, so with Covid-19 creating issues with shipping, essentials and priority shipping only at times, shortages of stock etc, there's plenty of price gouging happening. "Oh, I'm stuck at home for the next month, time to upgrade the pc! (oh, quick, let's jack prices up because ppl are stuck at home and will spend money on upgrades now! )"

Worth it? I dunno.
Ah idk man, I'm going to make a PC part picker list now and wait until mid may and see the prices then, or maybe just save up 1500 and then make another list, as of now 1000 is a very tight budget for the games i want to play and its creating a lot of complications.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
B550 is supposed to drop around June, as is low end R3's, covid depending, and that'll have Gen4 ability, basically one-upping the B450 but not to X570 ability. Going to be interesting to see what happens to prices when ppl start dumping stock to make room on the shelves for the new boards.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
B550 is supposed to drop around June, as is low end R3's, covid depending, and that'll have Gen4 ability, basically one-upping the B450 but not to X570 ability. Going to be interesting to see what happens to prices when ppl start dumping stock to make room on the shelves for the new boards.
Would you personally say that those boards are worth the wait and the sign to not build a 1100 gaming PC as of now ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No idea. The pc i'm building is bordering $2300 at what should be normal prices, and i'm in the same boat, wondering whether its worth it to wait for the B550i's or bite the bullet and get an x570i. And theres no telling exactly whats going to be what. With the B450's MSi rocked everyone else, excellent VRM's and more bells and whistles for the same average price as the other vendors lower end stuff. When the X570's hit, MSI really dropped the ball and are the worst of the bunch, ASRock still better than mediocre and Asus/Gigabyte killing everyone with the Tuf Gaming Plus/Aorus Elite. So nobody can really say what'll be good, and what'll not be good until they are tested by ppl like Toms or Gamers Nexus or Techpowerup etc.

So right now, there's no real correct answer. Its going to depend on you and your situation. What has better value to you personally. If you absolutely must upgrade then the question of waiting is moot. If its a want to upgrade then just how important is it? Can you wait that long? Will your finances be better in a couple months? Only you can say for sure what is what. Me, I have to wait, the parts are ungodly over-priced or not in stock, and i'm in no rush, so i can wait as long as needs be, just not sure if i really want to wait until June/July for a mobo and it might be longer than that as mITX are usually not the first dropped.

Last edited:
Reactions: boju

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
No idea. The pc i'm building is bordering $2300 at what should be normal prices, and i'm in the same boat, wondering whether its worth it to wait for the B550i's or bite the bullet and get an x570i. And theres no telling exactly whats going to be what. With the B450's MSi rocked everyone else, excellent VRM's and more bells and whistles for the same average price as the other vendors lower end stuff. When the X570's hit, MSI really dropped the ball and are the worst of the bunch, ASRock still better than mediocre and Asus/Gigabyte killing everyone with the Tuf Gaming Plus/Aorus Elite. So nobody can really say what'll be good, and what'll not be good until they are tested by ppl like Toms or Gamers Nexus or Techpowerup etc.

So right now, there's no real correct answer. Its going to depend on you and your situation. What has better value to you personally. If you absolutely must upgrade then the question of waiting is moot. If its a want to upgrade then just how important is it? Can you wait that long? Will your finances be better in a couple months? Only you can say for sure what is what. Me, I have to wait, the parts are ungodly over-priced or not in stock, and i'm in no rush, so i can wait as long as needs be, just not sure if i really want to wait until June/July for a mobo and it might be longer than that as mITX are usually not the first dropped.
First off thank you for your advice and words, second for me i am only building my first gaming PC due to quarantine I'm so bored and consoles are not worth the price to performance and capability. So idk.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If were to buy now, what would be your maximum budget and preferred site/store of purchase? Do you have a monitor or would you be using TV?

Can run Win10 for free with some preferential limitations for the time being, it'll get you by for now to increase budget in other areas. Win10 goes for about 100$.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
If were to buy now, what would be your maximum budget and preferred site/store of purchase? Do you have a monitor or would you be using TV?

Can run Win10 for free with some preferential limitations for the time being, it'll get you by for now to increase budget in other areas. Win10 goes for about 100$.
My budget for the PC itself is 1100. The monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and headset will be covered by parents. My sites are amazon, bestbuy, and Newegg. And for windows, I have an old code that works to activate windows so that will be covered.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Im assuming US currency?

Would you consider going air instead? Ryzen comes with a well suited air cooler and can add money else where. Some people like water, but for me, prefer air personally. Easier to maintain and lasts forever, water pumps is a ticking time bomb.

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Im assuming US currency?

Would you consider going air instead? Ryzen comes with a well suited air cooler and can add money else where. Some people like water, but for me, prefer air personally. Easier to maintain and lasts forever, water pumps is a ticking time bomb.
Yes us currency, and i can holdout on the aio cooler, Id prob upgrade down the line because of the performance you get and since i will want to oc my cpu. Can i tell you some of the feature I'm looking for if you are building me a parts list ?

FatatSteel

Commendable
BANNED
Apr 6, 2020
Yeah ok sweet
Ok so first ofc i want to oc my board and i would like one that is a bit future proof for my budget, and Nvidia gpus only plz. I want a nvme sad for like 250 for my boot and an ssd as extra. and the mobo has to be tax only i hate small mobo. Some rgb would be nice but not necessary. and for the psu the evga gold+ or bronze+ are my pick but if there are better pick it and i will choose in the end. Again a BIG THANK YOU!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.