Question Is it worth upgrading my system to a 13th gen Intel CPU or should I wait until 14th gen comes out ?

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
Hi! I am thinking about upgrading my current system to a 13th gen CPU (And with that, my graphics card) but I realized that the 13th gen will be the last gen supporting the socket LGA1700, making me doubt in buying a whole new motherboard with no ability to upgrade later down the line without replacing motherboard again.

My current setup and what i'm planning to upgrade to is as follows:
CPU: i5-8600k -> i5-13600k
Cpu cooler: Need a new one due to new socket, not sure which yet.
Mobo: ASRock Z390 Extreme4 -> MSI Z790-P Pro DDR5
RAM: DDR4 16gb @ 3000 mhz -> DDR5 2x16gb @ 6000 mhz
GPU: GTX 1070 ti -> RTX 3070 ti
Psu: Seasonic Focus+ 750W
Case: Phanteks p400
SATA Ssd: 2x
Nvme m2: 1x
HDD: 1x
Monitors: 3 monitors, primary being 2560x1440

I'd like some opinions on what you would do at this point in time, would you upgrade, or wait until the new chipset comes out? Thanks!

Last edited:
Depends on your situation.
If you need a pc now, we will suggest the best current PC.
If you have time to spare, wait for new gen.
Build used for gaming only? monitor resolution? PSU make/model?

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
Depends on your situation.
If you need a pc now, we will suggest the best current PC.
If you have time to spare, wait for new gen.
Build used for gaming only? monitor resolution? PSU make/model?
Depends on how long the wait is. Upon closer inspection it seems the 14th gen is on LSA 1700 apparently, though not confirmed by intel yet. Honestly don't want to wait more than two months.

The build is used for gaming, and professional game development/programming. Three monitor's with the primary monitor being 2560x1440. PSU is a Seasonic Focus+ Gold 850W (I believe 850W, I am not 100% sure, it might be 700 or 650, i'd have to pull it out and check the sticker on the PSU)
*Edit: Pulled PSU Out it's a 750W Seasonic Focus+ Gold

Last edited:

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
Depends on how long the wait is. Upon closer inspection it seems the 14th gen is on LSA 1700 apparently, though not confirmed by intel yet. Honestly don't want to wait more than two months.

The build is used for gaming, and professional game development/programming. Three monitor's with the primary monitor being 2560x1440. PSU is a Seasonic Focus+ Gold 850W (I believe 850W, I am not 100% sure, it might be less than this, i'd have to pull it out and check the sticker on the PSU)

You have a budget for this?
What about the case? and storage? CPU cooler?
I don't really have a budget for it. I was thinking around €1000 though.
Case is Phanteks p400, storage I'm running two Sata ssd's, one NVME '
M.2 drive, and a HDD.
Cpu cooler is a noctua cooler but it won't fit on the new lga1700 format.

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
Any opinions on the upgrades I'm planning to do? I have added some more information to my original post detailing my current setup and what I plan to upgrade on.

Can you actually get a 3070 series card new,be very careful about buying used there are still lots of old mining cards around.
Which video card you get takes a lot of research there actually is now finally competition in the mid range cards....but I still feel all are too expensive. The 13600k is a ok chip but if your primary use is gaming one of the x3d amd chips will likely be a better choice. The intel chips tend to be better at certain types of multicore applications.

We are starting to see leaked data for the 14th series chips. We have no idea what effect this will really have on pricing. From the little we have seen it seem there is going to be between 10-15% price increase for less than 5% performance increase.

It also depends if it has any impact on the price of 13th gen chips. Most these are already selling under the intel suggested price already.

All the stuff you see about the new socket it related to what is now likely going to be 15th gen parts. I don't expect we see those parts anytime soon. And if the greed continues from hardware manufactures we likely see massive price increases again.

Reactions: xaohs

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I think 14th gen is going to have more pcie 5 lanes so when a pcie 5 nvme ssd is in use the graphics card bandwidth isn't cut in half. If pcie 5 ssds is something you'd be interested in I'd think about waiting, since 14th gen is almost here. Direct storage in games is going to be a pretty big thing.

Whichever way you decide to go, 13th gen is a mega upgrade.

MrstimX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
i would wait for either 15th gen or go with AM5. 14th gen is a dead platform.
if you choose to wait, you could maybe get a used i7-8700k or something to hold you over.

Aug 23, 2023
New CPU cooler, RTX 3070 ti
Nobody knows when the new Intel line will arrive - could be a matter of days, could be 5 months. You’re going to love the upgrade regardless, whether you choose to wait or not.

I’d go with the DeepCool LT720 360mm if you’re thinking about an AIO, it’s been great so far.

On the GPU side, I’d recommend the 4070 over the 3070 ti - 12GB vs 8, and even though there are fewer CUDA cores, it’s a more performant card overall with all the newer tech. I like the ASUS TUF OC model.

Good luck with your upgrade!

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
14th Gen is rumored to be coming in mid-October I think... If leaks that TH reports are anything to go by - most 14th gen chips probably won't be a noticeable improvement over 13th, and the price may increase a bit.

Personally, I'd just pull the trigger now. Less time to worry about the build, and more time to enjoy it. : )

I second what postpro said, about the graphics card. Unless you found a reeeeally kickass deal on the 3070 Ti... but if you are buying it at MSRP, the 4070 is equal price and would be a lot better.

Reactions: postpro and xaohs

xaohs

Honorable
Nov 10, 2017
Thanks for the amazing help guys! I think I'll indeed just go with the upgrades instead of waiting (might wait until a black Friday sale, not sure yet). I'm curious to know why you you advice me to get the 4070 over the 3070 ti, the performance increase is about 20% between the two, but the prices of both (in Europe's Amazon stores and my local online stores) is a difference of ~500€ for the 3070 ti, and ~€630 for the 4070. The price difference might be worth it though.

One thing I was wondering is, will my 750W (Gold) PSU support all these upgrades? As far as I had calculated, I should be fine with anything over 650W even if I decide to over clock some stuff, but I'm not a hundred percent sure.

And thanks postpro for the AIO recommendation, I'll take a look. I am still unsure what to get in terms of Cpu cooling. I've never done water cooling before, but might be time to dig into it as I don't mind spending a bit more.

Reactions: postpro
You can't really overclock a video card very much. The most recommended thing to try is to undervolt it. Sometime this will let it run at a higher clock speed for the same power usage. Your 750watt should be fine even on a 4070.

Using a aio on a 13600k is not likely necessary many quality air coolers can easily cool it. Mostly the issue with a water cooling is that it will likely have less life. Worst that can go wrong with a air cooler is a fan goes out and you can replace that.
The key thing you would use a water cooler for is you can get less fan noise.
If you were running a 13900k and letting it boost to the max you would need a water cooler but the 13600k is much less of a power hog and produces much less heat.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
Thanks for the amazing help guys! I think I'll indeed just go with the upgrades instead of waiting (might wait until a black Friday sale, not sure yet). I'm curious to know why you you advice me to get the 4070 over the 3070 ti, the performance increase is about 20% between the two, but the prices of both (in Europe's Amazon stores and my local online stores) is a difference of ~500€ for the 3070 ti, and ~€630 for the 4070. The price difference might be worth it though.

One thing I was wondering is, will my 750W (Gold) PSU support all these upgrades? As far as I had calculated, I should be fine with anything over 650W even if I decide to over clock some stuff, but I'm not a hundred percent sure.
Ah, okay... Where I live in the U.S., the 3070 Ti and the 4070 are both $600. That's why I recommended the latter. : P For the prices where you are, the 3070 Ti makes sense.

I think 750W should be fine.