YoOliii

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
So as title suggests, i'm thinking more and more that i'm one of the unlucky few to receive a DOA CPU...

I recently upgraded a few parts in my system (new ssd and AIO cooler), the main being i went from Ryzen 1700x to a 3600. I'm running an ASROCK x370 board. The chip is compatible with the board with BIOS updates but my system will not boot properly! I've been at this for 4 days testing, rechecking, retesting, researching and testing some more but the issue persists!

The Issue
When booting with the new CPU in, the system makes it to BIOS screen, proceeds past the bios but then hangs at the loading splash screen after the bios entry point but before you get to windows. 1 in 3 attempts to boot will result in EITHER the system hanging at the bios screen (cant enter or move past BIOS) or getting a "preparing automatic repair" screen that also hangs and does not move on.

The Tests
Here is what i have tested so far... (as far as i can remember)
  • Every test (where applicable) in this well known thread regarding boot and POST issues
  • All available BIOS versions (5.40, 5.50 & 5.80) all yield the same behaviour as above
  • Re-setting cmos (properly) multiple times
  • Deconstructing the entire system (and i really mean every component down to the wifi card and RGB controllers!!) and adding components in 1 by 1 to isolate a fault. All expected issues persist (eg: bootloop without any RAM for example) until we get the CPU back in and then The Issue persists again.
- Multiple RAM variations, 1 stick, 2 sticks, A2, B2, A1 etc etc....
  • GPU, Working fine on 1700x
  • MoBo Working fine on 1700x
  • RAM Working fine on 1700x
  • PSU - Working fine & plenty of overhead with new chip plus other upgrades
  • SSD and HDD - not corrupted and boot fine with 1700x installed
  • CPU COOLER, switched from stock AMD to the ML240 AIO. Both are fine on the 1700x
  • MOBO pin isolation, MOBO is isolated and not shorting - works fine on 1700x
  • Cabling, all tested from PSU to their various locations. All fine on 1700x
Plus more tests and re-tests that I've forgotten to mention, if I've missed something please ask and ill confirm whether I've tested or not

The Question
Is my CPU really dead!?!
I don't want to believe it but I've searched forum after forum, high and low and I have found just 1 guy who has had a similar issue to mine and... his CPU turned out to be faulty!

I cant think of anything else! I have been at this for 4 days and hours upon hours of troubleshooting. Any help or feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

FN1
: You can access BIOS (most of the time) and the BIOS does read the new chip correctly (identifies it as a 3600 and correct base freq of 3600mhz)
FN2: Despite the above, i did actually make it to windows just once (to my surprise) for a fleeting second. I ran CPU-Z and confirmed was the new chip. Results from the CPU-Z benchmark where not overwhelming - I restarted the pc and the same Issue has persisted ever since.

The Specs
Mobo - ASROCK X370 Gaming K4 (bios 5.40, 5.50, 5.80)
CPU - Ryzen 1700x & 3600
GPU - G'byte GTX 1080 G1
RAM - Corsair Vengence LPX (Hynix M-Die) 2400mhz
Cooler - AMD Stock/Cooler Master ML240 RGB
SSD - Samsung EVO 500gb
HDD - Toshiba 1TB
PSU - Corsair RM650x

Solution
If you were able to get in and run tests, cpu is definitely good and it's a motherboard issue with that cpu. I'd also swap in your old cpu and see if the problem goes away. If so, then I would make sure your bios is up to date as that may be all you need to do.

YoOliii

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
Seems like a good old Zen 2-related BIOS bug, I think you should ask AsRock for assistance, you might have to RMA the board.

Thanks for your reply! I wonder which one to send back, because the board is 4 years old and not made anymore. So I assume I'm not going to get a replacement. Also would leave me without a pc for a while. I really need another 3600 to test against tbh.

YoOliii

Reputable
Jan 30, 2017
I would send back the more likely one. Yes, CPUs can get defective in rare occasions, but motherboard problems are much more frequent. Isn't that going to take the same time as sending back the CPU?

Its a good point!

Also i tried out some brand new ram and although it managed to get to windows after a few tries the problem persists 95% of the time. Also, when i did make it to OS that second time, i checked a few diags and ran a CPU 10 min stress test and everything worked as normal. That coupled with the fact the UEFI & CPU-Z both register the correct CPU makes me think your line of though is the one to pursue so i am attempting to RMA as we speak, but on a 3 yr old board... not sure how ill get on!

Thanks for your input!

Reactions: refillable
If you were able to get in and run tests, cpu is definitely good and it's a motherboard issue with that cpu. I'd also swap in your old cpu and see if the problem goes away. If so, then I would make sure your bios is up to date as that may be all you need to do.

Solution