Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiggums

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Hello,
I recently purchased a new computer system and an MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition along with it. The system worked fine without the card, but refused to work whenever it booted up with the card plugged in. The computer would boot and all of the fans would spin, but there was only a black screen on the monitor indicating a POST failure - I couldn't even get to the BIOS.
My brother suspected that it was an issue with the motherboard's PCI-e slots, but I installed an older card and it worked perfectly effectively ruling that out.
I've read that MSI was caught overvolting these models of video cards, does this mean that POST failures due to overvolting in these cards are a relatively common issue? I also would like to know if this means that the card is Dead On Arrival, because I can easily get it replaced tomorrow (and hopefully switch brands to Gigabyte or Asus for the card)
Thank you for any help provided!

Squiggums

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
That seemed like the most likely solution, I can replace it tomorrow when my retailer opens. Have there been multiple issues like mine where MSI cards have been DOA due to the overvoltage?

Squiggums

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

I have a 650W PSU, and I double and triple-checked to make sure that everything was correctly plugged in. The card is most likely just DOA, in the future I'll avoid MSI products as they seem to pack the most punch on paper, but are wildly unstable in the field.

has said Sorry, but this is all hypothetical theory. Unless you are an engineer that can prove by scientific laboratory testing there is going to be a catastrophic component failure, this is all speculation. If that worried about it, discuss it with official MSI Technical Support.:)) This is what MSI has said as follows:
The overvoltage this is all about does not concern the gpu so won't make a real difference for consumption. Also the starting up issue has never been reported on this forum although we are adressing a global audience while the few reports are from the german Tom's Hardware site only (and some competing manufacturers). So quite odd that problem did not show up here first where more customers of those very popular cards are around.
1. MSI respects the result which is tested by Tom’s Hardware, but we have much confidence and believe our products would not cause any customer RMA concerns.
2. Since MSI designs these custom products with overclocking in mind, we “supercharge” these cards because we’re anticipating enthusiast to overclock. Because of this design decision and the higher component quality, we’re able to provide more power to the board resulting in higher and longer GPU Boost operation without reducing the lifetime of the graphics card or warranty term.
3. MSI’s all graphics cards including GTX 670 and GTX 660 Ti passed strict test and stand behind our products with a 3 year warranty! 3.There is absolutely no way any of these request double the volts, if the article says that it is pure sensationalism. where are you located in the world? that way we can work out what the warenty for the card will be!
the problem from this that is being reported is one of not being compatable with very old motherboards (PCI-E gen1). but most newer ones should have no problems (PCI-E gen2 or 3).

I doubt a recall happening as the differance was aproved by Nvidia's R&D department and has been verified to not cause the GPU to fail. if anything does go wrong depending on where you are you will be covered by between a 1-3 year warenty (that range is Dependant on location geographically) as soon as we know where you live we will tell you how long your covered!

note: i did a little lookup on your IP for contary of origan and it seems like your in the US so 3 years on Graphics Cards.

Squiggums

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

My motherboard is an Asus P8Z77-V and my BIOS driver is at version 1606, but I see that the next (latest) version is 1708. I'll try to update it and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.