Aug 12, 2019
My computer is roughly 7 years old. I haven't played games in a couple months now but recently when I played For Honor, my computer has emitted a burning smell and has shut off (4 times now). This occurs on after about 30 minutes to an hour after playing the game.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k @ 3.50GHz
RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz
MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB (MSI)
PSU: KINGWIN ABT-650MM 650W ATX 12V
SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB

Idle temperatures are normal, around 30 degrees C. However PSU temp is unknown, it is slightly warm to the touch but not unbearable? Best guess is 30-40 C.

First I started by stress testing my GPU to see if that was the problem with FurMark. Max temperature reached after 5 minutes was 65 C at 100% utilization, no power issues.
Next I tested my CPU, also with FurMark, max temp 56 C at 100%, no power issues.
I then tested both simultaneously, again, no power issues.

I noticed that during the test, my PSU fan was not on.

It seems that the only way to recreate the issue is to play the game. When playing the game neither the CPU or GPU exceed temperatures that occurred during testing and neither are near 100% utilization.

What confuses me is that this issue seems to take time to happen, and it doesn't occur immediately.

Is my PSU to blame?

Update: I observed the PSU fan during startup, it didn't even make a full rotation, but obviously made an attempt to turn. Should I just replace the fan?

Update 2: The more research I have done, the more I am convinced it is my PSU and I will end up getting a new one.

To whomever is reading this for approval, I can't find where to delete this post, but consider this solved or just don't even let it through.

Last edited:
Solution
Great bit of fault finding, this will be useful to others. Yes, in my opinion your PSU fan has failed, causing the PSU to heat up and then shutdown, unless you really know what you are doing don't mess around inside a PSU, It's not a great model, get a good quality PSU.
Great bit of fault finding, this will be useful to others. Yes, in my opinion your PSU fan has failed, causing the PSU to heat up and then shutdown, unless you really know what you are doing don't mess around inside a PSU, It's not a great model, get a good quality PSU.

Solution
Aug 12, 2019
Thank you, I have ordered a Corsair RM650 Gold that will be here Tuesday. Marking as solved.

Reactions: 13thmonkey

TRENDING THREADS