[SOLVED] Is Ryzen 5 compatible with b450 chipset?

dejvas10

Commendable
Jul 22, 2018
I just ordered gigabyte b450m gaming motherboard and ryzen 5 3400g and I was wondering if it will work without BIOS update because I don’t have older gen Ryzen CPU at home to update it and if not, which chipset should I get?
I saw some people online saying that manufacturers update BIOS when new CPUs come out and this came out pretty long time ago so I don’t know if I will be fine with it or not.

Solution
100% Maybe.

It all depends on how long the motherboard has been sitting on the warehouse shelf. If it's been there a while, it may not come with an updated BIOS. If you want to be sure of compatibility, go with the B550 or X470,

-Wolf sends

kanewolf

Titan
I just ordered gigabyte b450m gaming motherboard and ryzen 5 3400g and I was wondering if it will work without BIOS update because I don’t have older gen Ryzen CPU at home to update it and if not, which chipset should I get?
I saw some people online saying that manufacturers update BIOS when new CPUs come out and this came out pretty long time ago so I don’t know if I will be fine with it or not.
PROBABLY. It has been about a year since the 3xxx series BIOS was released. So as @Wolfshadw said it depends on how long the board has sat somewhere. Most motherboard boxes have a "3000 series ready" sticker or graphic if they have the updated BIOS.

Well,here in the UK,ive just had a bloody nightmare trying to find a B450 itx board that already had the BIOS update! Amazon,is a massive gamble, some comments said they had the update,some said they're boards hadn't,(same boards and bought within a couple of weeks of each other.) I phoned 2 big computer retailers and literally went through lists of B450 boards that were still only ryzen 2000 ready until I finally found one with the magic ''ryzen 3000 ready'' sticker! The only B450 boards guaranteed to work are the MSI MAX range,it is an absolute minefield with all the other boards. Im starting to think that the UK must have very old stock of B450 motherboards! Good luck!

Reactions: drea.drechsler

dejvas10

Commendable
Jul 22, 2018
Well,here in the UK,ive just had a bloody nightmare trying to find a B450 itx board that already had the BIOS update! Amazon,is a massive gamble, some comments said they had the update,some said they're boards hadn't,(same boards and bought within a couple of weeks of each other.) I phoned 2 big computer retailers and literally went through lists of B450 boards that were still only ryzen 2000 ready until I finally found one with the magic ''ryzen 3000 ready'' sticker! The only B450 boards guaranteed to work are the MSI MAX range,it is an absolute minefield with all the other boards. Im starting to think that the UK must have very old stock of B450 motherboards! Good luck!
I am buying from a computer store in my country so we will see how it goes, I am on a budget so getting some high end board is not an option for me. Thanks. Also, I sent them an email to check motherboard’s BIOS and update it if needed, I just hope it works fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz

dejvas10

Commendable
Jul 22, 2018
I am buying from a computer store in my country so we will see how it goes, I am on a budget so getting some high end board is not an option for me. Th
What about msi b450m pro m2 max? I just checked some other store and they have that one and it’s actually cheaper than gigabyte one.

kanewolf

Titan
I am buying from a computer store in my country so we will see how it goes, I am on a budget so getting some high end board is not an option for me. Thanks. Also, I sent them an email to check motherboard’s BIOS and update it if needed, I just hope it works fine.
If you are buying from a store, you may be able to pay a little extra to have them update the BIOS before you take possession.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

bignastyid

Titan
ACTUALLY...even that depends on what you define 'compatible' to be. It's definitely not supported'

Many reports of 3400's; Zen+ in general; working on current rev. B550's. I wouldn't suggest doing it though.
Odd I have only seen people try and fail. Did a bit of digging when looking for a board for a 3200g a couple months ago.

What about msi b450m pro m.2 max? Is there a bigger chance that it has updated BIOS?

Msi's max boards have native support for the 3400g, no bios update required for them to work.

Reactions: kurdtnz

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Bro I am using an A320 with 3rd gen ryzen 5 without any bios update

Last edited by a moderator: