Question Is scratched display covered by HP standard warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strongo

Commendable
May 8, 2018
Hello,
I have a problem with my HP Pavilion 14-ce0000nc. The problem is that my LCD display is damaged (there is a groove 6cm from the top of the display and it goes almost all the way across). It is caused by the edge where the lowered keyboard is coming up to the touchpad. My local support told me that any LCD mechanical damage is not covered under the warranty.
I would like to know if it is true because I do not think that I did anything wrong. The laptop was at home most of the time and when I was transporting it I used a sleeve to move it around.
Also, my service center (in which my laptop is now) told me that I should have used fabric between keyboard and display but I did not find any mention about it in the official documentation only thing I found was: "Close the notebook, with nothing in between the lid and the keyboard, prior to carrying it. " and "Remove the packing material from between the keyboard and display when you first take the notebook out of its box. "
So I would like to know if I am in right for warranty repair if the damage was not done by me (even service center told me that the damage was done by the keyboard's edge but still said that any mechanical damage done to the LCD is not covered by warranty either if it was caused by me or not).
Thank you

Photos of the display: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aEr5A58A2AYhZ9zX9
I also posted this on HP forum: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...-the-edge-of-the-keyboard/m-p/7019881#M188188
Official documentation on how to protect my notebook: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/produc...ries/3744201/model/3822601/document/c01507270

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
If the keyboard is causing the scratches on your screen every time you move the laptop around, when closed, it is HP's responsibility. A laptop should not need a 'fabric sleeve' in order to stop the keyboard from scratching the screen, that is a load of bull. As @jsmithepa put it perfectly, it appears to be a design flaw or at least a defective unit/laptop.

It is your customer right to expect a product made for portability to be moved around without the keyboard scratching the screen. The product is therefore defective and you're well within your right to demand a replacement if they're refusing to repair the laptop, as the laptop is not meeting your quality standards and requirements/needs.

Overall, if they're not going to repair it under warranty, then demand a replacement, as the unit is defective.

Reactions: strongo

strongo

Commendable
May 8, 2018
If the keyboard is causing the scratches on your screen every time you move the laptop around, when closed, it is HP's responsibility. A laptop should not need a 'fabric sleeve' in order to stop the keyboard from scratching the screen, that is a load of bull. As @jsmithepa put it perfectly, it appears to be a design flaw or at least a defective unit/laptop.

It is your customer right to expect a product made for portability to be moved around without the keyboard scratching the screen. The product is therefore defective and you're well within your right to demand a replacement if they're refusing to repair the laptop, as the laptop is not meeting your quality standards and requirements/needs.

Overall, if they're not going to repair it under warranty, then demand a replacement, as the unit is defective.

Hello,
thank you and also @jsmithepa for your response. Right now my local support is refusing to do anything about my problem and their only argument is that the mechanical damage is in no way under warranty. Right now I am planning my next steps because I do not agree with their statement in which they did not even mentioned my concerns about their wrong procedure.
I am actually really disappointed in HP and I think that this was the first and also last time I have bought anything from this company.

Best regards
Strongo

Seaweed Monster

Honorable
Jun 7, 2014
Hello,
thank you and also @jsmithepa for your response. Right now my local support is refusing to do anything about my problem and their only argument is that the mechanical damage is in no way under warranty. Right now I am planning my next steps because I do not agree with their statement in which they did not even mentioned my concerns about their wrong procedure.
I am actually really disappointed in HP and I think that this was the first and also last time I have bought anything from this company.

Best regards
Strongo

No problem. I hope your problem gets sorted soon!

Don't be afraid to keep pushing. Make an official complaint if this goes on for any longer.

Reactions: strongo

strongo

Commendable
May 8, 2018
Hello,
just to update you.
I finally got my case resolved. After 4 months they admitted that my unit is defective and fully refunded me.
After this experience with HP, I am really disappointed and will not recommend their laptops thanks to their poor support.
Thanks for your previous help :)
Have a nice day

Laptops maybe one of your most expensive purchases but honestly they are treated as commodity items, not much better than a toaster, companies do their best to not care.

The best place to buy is Costco, extremely liberal return policy, followed by Apple, as long as it's under warranty/AppleCare, is common for Apple owners to complain about every little itty-bitty thing, they want it PERFECT for the $$$ dang it, and they are correct.

strongo

Commendable
May 8, 2018
Another thing that I should say is that I spoke directly to HP representatives in my country. I bought it directly from HP so I did not speak to anyone from retail. So if you can try also contacting Lenovo directly.
Also, my laptop at the time was fairly new (about 2-4 months) so I think that helped also a little because if you have a laptop that is about to hit 2 years it could be a problem and they can easier say it is you who did the damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.