Question is there a way to find why my motherboard got damaged

Mar 24, 2021
hi today I saw that some of my cabinet's front panel's wires are damaged (peeled) and i dont know how but the question is will keeping them connected to the motherboard damage it

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing a picture of what you're seeing? I think you're referring to wires that have their insulation melted as though there was a high voltage going through them? if so, yeah you will need to change the case and inspect your motherboard for further damage.

Reactions: Harshk5611
Mar 24, 2021
i camt share any pics rn but the insulation is not melted but got peeled off idk how
Mind sharing a picture of what you're seeing? I think you're referring to wires that have their insulation melted as though there was a high voltage going through them? if so, yeah you will need to change the case and inspect your motherboard for further damage.

I would use some electrical tape. You don't want any bare wire, even if you are lucky enough the wire is ground.

As for if it will damage the motherboard? unlikely.

I randomly bridge front panel pins to find which one is the correct to turn the system on all the time and have not had any damage occur from this.

Mar 24, 2021
Reason being....a CPU will generally only let itself get so hot.....and usually this temp won't damage the MB....otherwise we'd be seeing damaged MBs every time someone's CPU fan quit.
so was it because of the voltage fluctuations in my area that damaged thr motherboard (i dont have a UPS) or was it anything else

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, pins where they expect random shorts are going to be able to handle random shorts (all a power and reset switch are). Also reverse bias diodes for when people plug things in backwards are quite common on user facing I/O. Doesn't help you if you manage to get 12V down a 5V circuit though.

Mar 24, 2021
specs- i3 3220
4gb ram,320gbhdd
enter 500 watts psu
H61 motherboard
(No UPS)

recently my motherboard got faulty and stopped showing display ram and everything was okay, fortunately the motherboard was under warranty so i send it to the service center and they will replace it and send a new one soon.
I just wanted to know that how my motherboard got damaged so that i can take care of the issue in future. And yeah there are some Voltage fluctuations in my area.

Lutfij

Titan
Enter PSU? I've never heard of that brand. Might want to share some pics with the community. You sure you're not referring to Antec? Regardless, what is the age of the PSU in your build? One probable case can be that your PSU might be of bad build quality and it took out your motherboard when it went out.

And yeah there are some Voltage fluctuations in my area.
Call a certified electrician and scope out the wiring in your house(rule out any grounding issues), then invest in an UPS for your build, provided you have a reliably built PSU. If you don't have a reliably built PSU, you need to buy that before you buy an UPS.

Mar 24, 2021
Enter PSU? I've never heard of that brand. Might want to share some pics with the community. You sure you're not referring to Antec? Regardless, what is the age of the PSU in your build? One probable case can be that your PSU might be of bad build quality and it took out your motherboard when it went out.

And yeah there are some Voltage fluctuations in my area.
Call a certified electrician and scope out the wiring in your house(rule out any grounding issues), then invest in an UPS for your build, provided you have a reliably built PSU. If you don't have a reliably built PSU, you need to buy that before you buy an UPS.
Enter is not so popular, i think it only supplies in India, after installing this psu my mobo stopped working after 5 days of use before that i have a Intex psu 450 watt which literally blasted, i mean some component in it popped when i was running the pc.
here's the link to enter's psu - https://www.flipkart.com/enter-computer-power-supply-500w-model-500-watts-psu/p/itmemxfqahygqjtk

bignastyid

Titan
Enter is not so popular, i think it only supplies in India, after installing this psu my mobo stopped working after 5 days of use before that i have a Intex psu 450 watt which literally blasted, i mean some component in it popped when i was running the pc.
here's the link to enter's psu - https://www.flipkart.com/enter-computer-power-supply-500w-model-500-watts-psu/p/itmemxfqahygqjtk
That's not a 500w PSU they lied. It can't even deliver 300w where it counts. Garbage PSUs can kill quickly(usually when they fail) or they can kill slowly( poor ripple and poor voltage regulation).

Mar 24, 2021
That's not a 500w PSU they lied. It can't even deliver 300w where it counts. Garbage PSUs can kill quickly(usually when they fail) or they can kill slowly( poor ripple and poor voltage regulation).
but i saw some people are using this same psu from 5 years or more without any problem whats the case what should i do now im confused and afraid 😟

Mar 24, 2021
specs-Zebronics h61
4gb ram
i3 3220
Enter 500watt power supply
320gb hdd

i bought a zebronics motherboard 1.5 years ago and till then it got damaged 4 times but was under warranty and got replaced or repaired everytime, so is zebronics that bad or the problem is with anything else.(i dont have a UPS)

bignastyid

Titan
have been building and repairing systems for 20 years and have never seen or heard of the brand.
could be something like a "recycling" company that takes decommissioned products and refurbishes them to sell as new branded products.
check the Better Business Bureau.
Zebronics is a cheap low quality brand sold in Asia.

You can't expect parts to last long when you buy cheap. Cheap/low quality motherboard and cheap/low quality PSUs = lots of problems.