[SOLVED] Is these components good enough or overkill for a unRaid server?

madsriisager

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2014
Hello

I have been looking for a while now to build a unRaid server for my home.

My current situation:

I already got a 12-bay hot-swap case, which I am going to use. It is bought used, and I'm trying to do it on a budget without compromising to much on perfomance.

The hardware i chosen for now is:

• MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM (cheap)
  • AMD CPU Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz 8-core
  • Crucial DDR4 32GB kit 2666MHz CL19 not ECC (in my region some of the cheapest when you look at cost pr. GB)
  • ASUS XG-C100C (to get 10 Gb ethernet)
The motherboard has a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot which will be used for the SAS-exspansion card. It also features a PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 modus) which I will use for the 10Gb card.

Unfortunately I can't use the M.2 slot and PCIe 2.0 x16 slot at the same time, which bums me a little, since I now will have to give one of the 12 bays up for the operating system, unless of course I would install it on a USB.

As it is a private home there will only be few users (1-3) at each given time, but it should still be able to stream 4K REMUX files with Plex Media Server.
The primarily usecase will be movie streaming and storage. I'm also playing with the idea of using nextCloud on it for cloud -storage, but that is only if I can, it is not the primarily usecase.

I'm also looking at buying this graphics card, but ONLY because some motherborads won't boot if there is no graphics output, and the CPU is without an internal GPU-module.
  • ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 1GB DDR3
So to round-up my questions:
  • Is this system overkill, or underpowered for my usecase?
  • Will it be able to run NextCloud?
  • Do I need to invest in the graphics card, or is this motherboard capable of booting without graphics after unRaid has been installed?
I know this is a lot of questions, but I am kind of ready to pull the trigger and buy all the thing, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Regards Mads

Solution
IMO overkill for just a server unless you are transcoding also. If not, dial down the CPU and even consider an APU to avoid a separate GPU, also cut the memory at least down to 16GB even 8GB if you are only using it as a server. I always just use old spare parts for media server builds.

RealBeast

Titan
IMO overkill for just a server unless you are transcoding also. If not, dial down the CPU and even consider an APU to avoid a separate GPU, also cut the memory at least down to 16GB even 8GB if you are only using it as a server. I always just use old spare parts for media server builds.

Solution

madsriisager

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2014
Thank you for your input

So maybe a AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Processor? It only has 4 cores, but it is way cheaper, and comes with an integrated GPU.

I've also found another RAM stick. Team Elite - DDR4 - 8 GB - DIMM 288-PIN - unbuffered.