Question Is this a good upgrade in terms of futureproofing and keeping a few components as they are?

Arne.V

Reputable
Jun 6, 2019
I've had an acer predator g3620 for quite a while, upgraded the gpu tot a GTX1660 TI a while ago and ran it with 4 x 4GB DDR3
I feel like it's about time to do a big upgrade so i can run this rig comfortably for quite a few years.

-RAM: 4 x 4GB DDR3
replacing with Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4
-2 x full HD 1080p LED monitor
-psu: Corsair Rm650x
-CPU: intel core i7 3770
replacing with Intel Core i7-12700KF 3.6GHz
-current GPU: GTX 1660 TI
-current motherboard is acer brand that came with the prebuilt pc
replacing with ASRock Z690 PG Riptide ATX LGA1700

also getting a Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler to go with the new CPU

Are the upgrades I've picked decent for the components I'm keeping as they are for the moment? Or is there a better way to go to future proof my rig?
For reference I've started playing Hogwarts Legacy, and found that the game lags a bit to often for my taste and I've had to sacrifice a bit of graphic quality for a better more consistent performance.
I've already purchased the RAM but I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to the motherboard and cpu, since I haven't got any experience replacing those.

EDIT: I'm already planning on getting a new case for the whole rig, since I already had a space shortage with the psu and gpu upgrades

Last edited:
Avoid sinking so much money into a decade old Acer.

The parts you have selected will not fit. The Acer appears to use a micro atx motherboard, so the ATX board you have chosen will not fit at all. I am not sure if the cooler will have enough room for the side panel to close in the Acer chassis. Also the Acer case appears to have virtually no ventilation, and combined with the fairly small NH-U9S, you are likely to suffer from temperature problems with the 12700kf. Additionally, there may be other nonstandard things about the Acer as manufacturers tend to do which may make upgrading more difficult.

Take the ddr4 ram, PSU, and gpu and use them towards an entirely new system

Reactions: punkncat

Lutfij

Titan
With all due respect that case is hrrible in terms of design and layout, moreover the airflow in that chassis is beyond acceptable. I'd also swap out the case...in fact you're best off with a completely new build.

As for your parts, I'd look into the K suffix processor, not the KF, since an iGPU does come in handy when you need to troubleshoot a discrete GPU issue. What is the exact model for your Corsair Vengeance ram kit?

Make sure you search the asrock site the board you list uses DDR5. Most newer asrock boards that use ddr4 in them have a D4 in the part name.

Check the cooler clearances to be sure they clear any parts on the motherboard as well as your memory. If the case is small then you need to worry about the height of the cooler.

Arne.V

Reputable
Jun 6, 2019
Avoid sinking so much money into a decade old Acer.

The parts you have selected will not fit. The Acer appears to use a micro atx motherboard, so the ATX board you have chosen will not fit at all. I am not sure if the cooler will have enough room for the side panel to close in the Acer chassis. Also the Acer case appears to have virtually no ventilation, and combined with the fairly small NH-U9S, you are likely to suffer from temperature problems with the 12700kf. Additionally, there may be other nonstandard things about the Acer as manufacturers tend to do which may make upgrading more difficult.

Take the ddr4 ram, PSU, and gpu and use them towards an entirely new system
Im getting a new case as well, my question is more in the way of: "will the new parts work well with the gpu and psu I still have and will this combination be a solid base when i try to upgrade lets say my gpu in the future?"

Arne.V

Reputable
Jun 6, 2019
With all due respect that case is hrrible in terms of design and layout, moreover the airflow in that chassis is beyond acceptable. I'd also swap out the case...in fact you're best off with a completely new build.

As for your parts, I'd look into the K suffix processor, not the KF, since an iGPU does come in handy when you need to troubleshoot a discrete GPU issue. What is the exact model for your Corsair Vengeance ram kit?
forgot to add to my description, but I'm replacing the case too

Arne.V

Reputable
Jun 6, 2019
Make sure you search the asrock site the board you list uses DDR5. Most newer asrock boards that use ddr4 in them have a D4 in the part name.

Check the cooler clearances to be sure they clear any parts on the motherboard as well as your memory. If the case is small then you need to worry about the height of the cooler.
I'm getting a bigger case because i've had space shortuge since my gpu and psu upgrade

Arne.V

Reputable
Jun 6, 2019

so I doublechecked the site where I selected my desired parts and the board says it's for DDR4, here
So is this board okay to use or does it have faulty specs on the site?

Arne.V

Reputable
Jun 6, 2019

so the Intel Core i7-12700K would be a better option?
the kit was described as "Corsair CMK16Gx4M2B3200C16, Vengeance LPX 16Go (2x8Go) DDR4 3200MHz c16 XMP 2.0 Kit"

so I doublechecked the site where I selected my desired parts and the board says it's for DDR4, here
So is this board okay to use or does it have faulty specs on the site?
That is not the same board you put in your post. That is the Z690 version. That one does support ddr4 the one you listed was a Z790. They also sell a ddr5 version of that board called Z690M so be very careful to get the correct board.

A 12700k will work in either board but if you buy a 13700k be sure to check the bios level of any board that uses z690 to see if it support 13th gen.

Reactions: Tac 25

Arne.V

Reputable
Jun 6, 2019
That is not the same board you put in your post. That is the Z690 version. That one does support ddr4 the one you listed was a Z790. They also sell a ddr5 version of that board called Z690M so be very careful to get the correct board.

A 12700k will work in either board but if you buy a 13700k be sure to check the bios level of any board that uses z690 to see if it support 13th gen.
oh yea, my bad, typo :sweatsmile: i'll be sure to double check when i order a board, definitely sticking with the 12700k