Nov 28, 2020
I am not sure how to calculate the optimal PSU wattage for a system, I found some websites to help online but they do not consider overclocking.

I currently have a 350 Watt PSU

Specs are:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
GPU: GTX 1050Ti (I plan on playing games like CS:GO and Valorant which are more CPU intensive)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz
Motherboard: B450m Mortar Max
M.2 NVME- Samsung Evo 970 (TBC) (Size: TBC)
HDD: idk the specs for this but lets just say a 2TB average one
Fan: Arctic 7 X

Is this 350W PSU enough, and why? Even after researching I did not find a good way to calculate it.

I appreciate any support

Solution
What is the brand and model of your 350 watt PSU? How long has it been in service? If you need to buy a new PSU, where will you be buying from and what is your budget?
The VS350 power supply you have is really only good for a home office system and not designed to be used with a gaming video card. A corsair CX450 can do the job and represents good performance and value for a budget model. If you can afford a CX550 it will give you a bit extra for a future upgrade.
I am not sure how to calculate the optimal PSU wattage for a system, I found some websites to help online but they do not consider overclocking.

Specs are:
GPU: GTX 1050Ti (I plan on playing games like CS:GO and Valorant which are more CPU intensive)

Is this 350W PSU enough, and why? Even after researching I did not find a good way to calculate it.

I appreciate any support
Hello there!!
350 Watts-No 450 will do although ill personally recommend 500-600 watt it will also support future gpu upgrade for that cpu
Check this list -Get from tier A or B skip the others

Specs are:

I appreciate any support
What is the brand and model of your 350 watt PSU? How long has it been in service? If you need to buy a new PSU, where will you be buying from and what is your budget?

Corsair VS350, it's about 5 years old, if I need an upgrade, im looking for good value for money
Yes leave it aside you have used your psu will get something like a 500 watt psu as mentioned earlier go with tier A or B skip the other
Consider CX550 or EVGA 500Bq

The VS350 power supply you have is really only good for a home office system and not designed to be used with a gaming video card. A corsair CX450 can do the job and represents good performance and value for a budget model. If you can afford a CX550 it will give you a bit extra for a future upgrade.

Reactions: General Kenobi
Solution
If i want to upgrade my GPU in the future, would you recommend me get a
CORSAIR CV550 ATX PSU - 550 W
or
Corsair VS650 650 W
or other

@Pc Part Picker get a CX450 like @Archaic59 said or as we both agreed get a CX550. The reason is the CX series is Bronze rated thus has more better capacitors, resistors and other electronics whereas VS series should only be used on old home/office system. Yes you could go with CV series even it is Bronze rated although it does not has black sleeved cables and not worth few bucks being saved. @Archaic59 and i are not only recommending a 550watt for future upgrade but also if you use a 450 watt psu it would be probably more than 90% load thus having more headroom increases the lifespan of a psu as it'll be much cooler than a 450 watt psu under that amount of load Me and @Archaic59 have given you all the details required now it's your choice on what to believe on.

Mod Edit - Removed Off-Topic Content

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 28, 2020
Dude why are you misleading ??? He's genuinely asking a recommendation if you also aren't aware about it don't answer instead of saying random stuff.

@Pc Part Picker get a CX450 like @Archaic59 said or as we both agreed get a CX550. The reason is the CX series is Bronze rated thus has more better capacitors, resistors and other electronics whereas VS series should only be used on old home/office system. Yes you could go with CV series even it is Bronze rated although it does not has black sleeved cables and not worth few bucks being saved. @Archaic59 and i are not only recommending a 550watt for future upgrade but also if you use a 450 watt psu it would be probably more than 90% load thus having more headroom increases the lifespan of a psu as it'll be much cooler than a 450 watt psu under that amount of load Me and @Archaic59 have given you all the details required now it's your choice on what to believe on.
thank you

Reactions: General Kenobi
Nov 28, 2020
Dude why are you misleading ??? He's genuinely asking a recommendation if you also aren't aware about it don't answer instead of saying random stuff.

On amazon the CX550W is out of stock, what about the CV550W?

Nov 28, 2020
The CV650 would be a little better because it has dc-dc conversion for the minor rails, but the CV550 will work if that's all your budget supports. If you can manage a CX450 it would be better than the CV series and still has enough power to support your build.
Sorry for all the questions, any idea why the CX series is better than the CV series?

1050ti CAN run on OEM PSUs and would probably work on your VS350, but honestly, the older VS models are plagued with issues and I wouldn't use one at all in 2020 with dedicated graphics.

The Corsair CV series is essentially their entry level VS series (the new VS series, so much better than the old VS series) but tweaked so its a little more efficient.

One main reason the CX series is better than the CV series is the CX series uses updated technology. CX uses LLC resonant and DC-DC where as the CV550 and below are group regulated. In other words, the CX series will handle high loads generated by high end graphics cards far better than a CV550 would. There are other downsides as well, but I am underqualified to explain this.

Also the CV uses cheaper components overall than the CX series, so it may not last as long. It also has a shorter warranty because of this.

Nov 28, 2020
1050ti CAN run on OEM PSUs and would probably work on your VS350, but honestly, the older VS models are plagued with issues and I wouldn't use one at all in 2020 with dedicated graphics.

The Corsair CV series is essentially their entry level VS series (the new VS series, so much better than the old VS series) but tweaked so its a little more efficient.

One main reason the CX series is better than the CV series is the CX series uses updated technology. CX uses LLC resonant and DC-DC where as the CV550 and below are group regulated. In other words, the CX series will handle high loads generated by high end graphics cards far better than a CV550 would. There are other downsides as well, but I am underqualified to explain this.

Also the CV uses cheaper components overall than the CX series, so it may not last as long. It also has a shorter warranty because of this.
I see. Thank you for that explanation.
Another alternative that has come to my attention is the
Corsair 550W TX550M Gold Hybid Modular Power Supply/PSU
which has gone on a sale. Do you think it is better to get this as compared to the CV 650W? Considering efficiency and life expectancy.
Again, I appreciate the support =)