Hi,
Just wanted to know if the GPU IO cover is rusting or not. I see some reddish spots which are visible only on a phone flashlight and not with naked eye, with naked eye it looks like whitish spots. The gpu was bought in July 2020 and I live in India but not near a coastal area.
The card is a Zotac 1660s and is supposed to have a Stainless Steel IO cover which won't rust.

aiQqpZq.jpg

Solution
Actually the spots are on the inside part of the grill so they cant really feel them on a finger maybe very slightly but too faint to notice. But if I wipe it with a white.cotton cloth+ipa it leaves very minute reddish colour
I would say its probably rust then. The bracket itself may be stainless steel, but even stainless can rust.

Google says;
"Stainless steels corrode when exposed to damaging chemicals, saline, grease, moisture, or heat for prolonged periods of time."
That is hard to say. I mean it looks like rust but cannot be sure just from the picture. Does it wipe off? Do the spots feel abrasive to the touch as you swipe by it with a finger or fingernail?
Actually the spots are on the inside part of the grill so they cant really feel them on a finger maybe very slightly but too faint to notice. But if I wipe it with a white.cotton cloth+ipa it leaves very minute reddish colour

I would say its probably rust then. The bracket itself may be stainless steel, but even stainless can rust.

Google says;
"Stainless steels corrode when exposed to damaging chemicals, saline, grease, moisture, or heat for prolonged periods of time."

Solution

Google says;
Also the heatsink and plated copper Pipes have become hazy and lost the shine. Heard somewhere that this a Zinc oxide and this prevents further rusting. Is this true and normal because if I rub the pipe or HS with q tips then it becomes shiny again.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Jz8DSpZwmn8VBfBDdHvwCr_stcmntAc/view?usp=drivesdk

Also the heatsink and plated copper Pipes have become hazy and lost the shine. Heard somewhere that this a Zinc oxide and this prevents further rusting. Is this true and normal because if I rub the pipe or HS with q tips then it becomes shiny again.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15Jz8DSpZwmn8VBfBDdHvwCr_stcmntAc/view?usp=drivesdk
I would say that if the pipes are Nickle plated then that is tarnish and not rust. Either way both are considered corrosion. Tarnish is different from rust. I am not very familiar though as its been a long time since I have studied the chemistry involved.

Reactions: rounakr94
I would say that if the pipes are Nickle plated then that is tarnish and not rust. Either way both are considered corrosion. Tarnish is different from rust. I am not very familiar though as its been a long time since I have studied the chemistry involved.
The pipes and heatsink is either Zinc or nickel plated. And so it seems like oxides or tarnish to me too.
Anyways thanks for the help. Will try cleaning the GPU IO tomorrow.