Question Is Windows XP ISO still available for download from the official source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
Is the .ISO file of Windows XP still available, or is it gone? I would like to download it, so I can install Windows XP, but I don't want to download the file from unofficial/risky sources. I prefer to download it from Microsoft's servers (or Catalog Update Microsoft"), if the file is still available on the server.

USAFRet

Titan
Is the .ISO file of Windows XP still available, or is it gone? I would like to download it, so I can install Windows XP, but I don't want to download the file from unofficial/risky sources. I prefer to download it from Microsoft's servers (or Catalog Update Microsoft"), if the file is still available on the server.
It has been gone for years.

I'll probably be sorry I asked, but why are you looking to install this?

Reactions: CompuGuy71

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
i think it went away a long time ago from official servers.

you will have to rely on someone having a physical disk you can copy or a source you can trust which is not really anything public.
Okay.
It has been gone for years.
Okay. I saw some people making videos about WinXP running on VM, so I thought it's still possible to download the XP.s iso file. They probably got the file from unofficial sources.
I'll probably be sorry I asked, but why are you looking to install this?
One of the laptops I have supports UEFI and also has BIOS Legacy Mode. I have problems with booting Windows 10 when Legacy support is disabled, and only UEFI and Secure Boot are enabled. The laptop originally came with Windows 8.1. I don't have an activation key for Windows 8.1, so I decided to use Windows 7 and XP to see if the booting problem extends to older Windows operating systems, too, or only to versions after Windows 8.1.

Nevermind.

Don't waste your time trying to help me. It's unlikely you know how to fix the problem. I'm planning to record a video of the problem and send it to Microsoft's official help forum. But firstly I wanted to test if the problem persists in older Windows operating systems, too, so I can know if the problem is Win10-specific, or it affects all Windows operating systems.

Anyway, thanks for informing me WinXP no longer exists in official sources. I will use Windows 7, then.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
While I was looking to see if it could be found, I ran across this: (be aware that clicking the below link will download the .iso)

<Link removed by moderator>
<Moderator Warning: Do NOT post direct download links in these forums>

it appears to (only) be the SP2 update for XP, not the entire OS. Everything I can find 'official' states that it has been removed from the site (for downloading) and MS themselves are basically telling people not to use it.

Another issue that I recall about XP, and admittedly it's been a while, was that each .iso/disk was tied to a specific key and wouldn't load if you didn't have it. Since support has dropped, I don't know how it would even validate and thus proceed with the installer.

I note there are still copies for sale online packaged as "NOS", but wouldn't think you desire to pay the price they are asking on a just to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want XP you can supposedly find new, sealed copies on eBay. If it's some company's very old stock it wouldn't be against MS license agreement.
Just note that you never really know what you're getting. It could be a burned image with a printed label that is full of viruses/malware.

Another issue that I recall about XP, and admittedly it's been a while, was that each .iso/disk was tied to a specific key and wouldn't load if you didn't have it. Since support has dropped, I don't know how it would even validate and thus proceed with the installer.
The images were tied to 'segments'. The Windows XP image was slightly different between OEM, retail, and technet versions so you couldn't use a key that is from a different segment than where the Windows XP image came from.

All retail keys would activate all retail images though (same for OEM and technet).

Edit - The memory banks just kicked in. I remember that big retailers (Dell, HP, Lenovo) had their own, specific OEM images and keys. Those keys could only be used with that mfgs. specific OS image.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i actually have a copy of the dell xp media edition they sold for a while. fixed one years ago for a guy and saw he had the 2 disks still. i quick, fast, and in a hurry made a copy of each since they can not be found anywhere!!

i do have a retail xp disk still so i know i have a good copy if i need one. think it is sp1 but might not even have that. i keep an updated image of home and pro with sp3 and beyond so i don't have to run update for 2 days to get em all :)

rarely need it anymore but in times like this i do run across a use for the iso's every now and then.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
i actually have a copy of the dell xp media edition they sold for a while. fixed one years ago for a guy and saw he had the 2 disks still. i quick, fast, and in a hurry made a copy of each since they can not be found anywhere!!

i do have a retail xp disk still so i know i have a good copy if i need one. think it is sp1 but might not even have that. i keep an updated image of home and pro with sp3 and beyond so i don't have to run update for 2 days to get em all :)

rarely need it anymore but in times like this i do run across a use for the iso's every now and then.
Windows XP can't run on modern hardware.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Windows XP can't run on modern hardware.

thanks for that totally not needed post. the OP is not talking about modern hardware, nor am i. if you followed the thread you'd easily see no one is talking about putting it on anything but this old pc he is asking about.

but hey thanks for the heads up, i'll so keep it in mind when choosing an OS for a future build
🙄

Nevermind.

Don't waste your time trying to help me. It's unlikely you know how to fix the problem. I'm planning to record a video of the problem and send it to Microsoft's official help forum. But firstly I wanted to test if the problem persists in older Windows operating systems, too, so I can know if the problem is Win10-specific, or it affects all Windows operating systems.

Anyway, thanks for informing me WinXP no longer exists in official sources. I will use Windows 7, then.
Sorry for expressing my feeling, but now I feel genuinely sad on your behalf being locked up into MS products, and now you feel having no options but using something not fit for modern use.

If I can come with an honest suggestion, I'd say buy a new computer that support a newer windows. This is much more safe for you.

Originally I was thinking of suggest Linux, but it takes persistence and patience to learn something new from the ground and reading the post, my gut feeling tells me you're most probably not the type of person to go that route.

The old computer can be donated or sold (for a very small amount) to somebody that are capable of installing and using Linux on it, rather than throwing it in recycle bin. If the computer is capable of running W7, it's most likely capable of running most modern Linux distros out there. I stop here because it's just getting boring to read if not interesting in this in first place.

However - if it turns out I'm wrong on this assumption, I'll more than happy to help getting started.

TheFlash1300

Prominent
Mar 15, 2022
If laptop came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled it's unlikely to support Windows XP anyway due to absence of XP drivers from laptop manufacturer.
Then how can it run Windows 10? The laptop want manufactured with Windows 10 drivers in mind, but I can still run Windows 10.

Sorry for expressing my feeling, but now I feel genuinely sad on your behalf being locked up into MS products, and now you feel having no options but using something not fit for modern use.

If I can come with an honest suggestion, I'd say buy a new computer that support a newer windows. This is much more safe for you.

Originally I was thinking of suggest Linux, but it takes persistence and patience to learn something new from the ground and reading the post, my gut feeling tells me you're most probably not the type of person to go that route.

The old computer can be donated or sold (for a very small amount) to somebody that are capable of installing and using Linux on it, rather than throwing it in recycle bin. If the computer is capable of running W7, it's most likely capable of running most modern Linux distros out there. I stop here because it's just getting boring to read if not interesting in this in first place.

However - if it turns out I'm wrong on this assumption, I'll more than happy to help getting started.
The software I want to run can also be used on Windows 10 and 11, but I prefer to use it on Windows 7. Don't ask me why.
Why do you think I can't run Linux? Do you think I'm dumb? I perfectly know how to install Linux. I even have a laptop with Linux Mint.

And if t s capable of Win 7, it is almost certainly capable of Win 10.
Barring any actual hardware issues, of course.
Yes, it can run Windows 10, too.

But I have one question. If it can run Windows 10, why wouldn't it be able to run Windows 7? The laptop came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed. If it doesn't have drivers for Windows 10, how can it run Windows 10?

Why is it supposed that a laptop can run Windows versions that are newer than the Windows version the laptop was manufactured with, but can't run Windows versions that are older than the Windows version the laptop came with? In both cases, the laptop doesn't have drivers for the different Windows version. It doesn't have drivers for Windows 7, nor for Windows 10.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Why is it supposed that a laptop can run Windows versions that are newer than the Windows version the laptop was manufactured with, but can't run Windows versions that are older than the Windows version the laptop came with? In both cases, the laptop doesn't have drivers for the different Windows version. It doesn't have drivers for Windows 7, nor for Windows 10.

Drivers are provided for OSs released after a laptop are provided all the time. I'm literally writing this on a spare laptop that originally came with Windows 7 and was eventually given driver updates when Windows 10 came out.

It's far more common for updates to be given for future operating systems than for updates to be given for operating systems from before the laptop came out. That you equate the two things as comparable reflects a fundamental ignorance of the issue.

This is why it would make sense to simply provide the details in the first place. To be perfectly frank, direct information will be far more helpful than information that has been filtered through your understanding of a topic.

One of the laptops I have supports UEFI and also has BIOS Legacy Mode. I have problems with booting Windows 10 when Legacy support is disabled, and only UEFI and Secure Boot are enabled. The laptop originally came with Windows 8.1. I don't have an activation key for Windows 8.1, so I decided to use Windows 7 and XP to see if the booting problem extends to older Windows operating systems, too, or only to versions after Windows 8.1.
If you, or the laptop maker, installed windows 10 in legacy mode then windows will only boot it legacy mode.
With an older OS you will be forced to use legacy because they don't support uefi/secure boot so they will also not boot when Legacy support is disabled.
This is not a bug or a problem, this is the way it's designed, if you want to use uefi/secure you need a clean install made for uefi/secure.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...uefi-mode-or-legacy-bios-mode?view=windows-11
After Windows is installed, the device boots automatically using the same mode it was installed with.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the problem is every time someone asks anything about running anything but the latest/greatest from windows, folks jump right in trying to convince him to just run win 10/11 cause it just awesomest thing ever.

some don't want to use it, need software it won't run or any other reason they don't want to run it. but folks here can't accept this and instead badger the heck out of people for not using the newest.

it's frustrating and not needed. if you can't help with what the op is actually asking, the honestly just don't respond to the thread. skim the forum and you will not see a single question asked about win 7/8 that is not derailed with "just run win 10 blah blah blah" "why do you want to run that old OS blah blah blah" "let me tell you how great it is blah blah blah"

op does not want to use it, and that's good enough for me. i'll help if possible to run the older stuff or see what i can offer as i run win 7 myself for my daily driver and still work with xp often since many people still have old xp systems still in use for whatever reason. hence having iso's updated with all the updates available for xp.

danny009

Reputable
Apr 11, 2019
Alright lads, I'm here to tell you that Windows XP is the best product MS ever created, second is Xbox 360.

It is still valid to talk today about WinXP because it felt like a good friend. Windows 10 feels like a garbage can keep stealing things from the users.

I'm officialy closing down this thread,

Status
Not open for further replies.