Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
So my house is currently wired up with 4 Lorex IP cameras going to my PoE switch. Elsewhere in the network I have a Lorex LNR 300 DVR which is configured to record from those cameras. I use the Lorex "netHD Stratus" app on both my Android Phone and my wife's iPhone to view the cameras remotely. This was all working perfectly for a few weeks.

Now suddenly I cannot connect to view the Cameras or access the DVR via the app from outside my network. I get the error "Create Tunnel Failed".

The ONLY thing that changed on my network is I disabled the RDP port I had open on my router (Dlink DSR-250)due to security concerns, however that port does not correspond to any port mentioned by Lorex as needed by the system.

Anyone ever dealt with this?

Sep 12, 2019
So my house is currently wired up with 4 Lorex IP cameras going to my PoE switch. Elsewhere in the network I have a Lorex LNR 300 DVR which is configured to record from those cameras. I use the Lorex "netHD Stratus" app on both my Android Phone and my wife's iPhone to view the cameras remotely. This was all working perfectly for a few weeks.

Now suddenly I cannot connect to view the Cameras or access the DVR via the app from outside my network. I get the error "Create Tunnel Failed".

The ONLY thing that changed on my network is I disabled the RDP port I had open on my router (Dlink DSR-250)due to security concerns, however that port does not correspond to any port mentioned by Lorex as needed by the system.

Anyone ever dealt with this?
I have a Lorex LNR380 that recently started exhibiting the exact same behavior, so I'm equally interested in a fix. I can't think of anything that's changed on my network, though Android updates have been plentiful. More importantly, however, I believe connectivity is relayed through some kind of Lorex cloud - making me wonder if they changed something...?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have a Lorex LNR380 that recently started exhibiting the exact same behavior, so I'm equally interested in a fix. I can't think of anything that's changed on my network, though Android updates have been plentiful. More importantly, however, I believe connectivity is relayed through some kind of Lorex cloud - making me wonder if they changed something...?

Thats what I'm thinking as well. The only change made to my network was I closed my RDP port, which is for remote desktop and has nothing to do with this. For the heck of it I opened it again, and no change, so thats not what did it.

I have posted this here and other places and not found a solution yet.

Sep 12, 2019
Thats what I'm thinking as well. The only change made to my network was I closed my RDP port, which is for remote desktop and has nothing to do with this. For the heck of it I opened it again, and no change, so thats not what did it.

I have posted this here and other places and not found a solution yet.
I got DDNS working through Lorex. I can even connect to my system. What I can't do is see anything. Regardless of the browser (e.g., Chrome, IE), all I get is a message that says "Please click here to download and install the plug-in. Close the browser when installing the plug-in." I've done, repeatedly, to no avail in either browser - very frustrating, since this whole saga appears due to a change Lorex made. :mad:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I got DDNS working through Lorex. I can even connect to my system. What I can't do is see anything. Regardless of the browser (e.g., Chrome, IE), all I get is a message that says "Please click here to download and install the plug-in. Close the browser when installing the plug-in." I've done, repeatedly, to no avail in either browser - very frustrating, since this whole saga appears due to a change Lorex made. :mad:

Mine has been like that forever. Going to the device via the web browser always asks for a plugin, download it and its useless.

The App always worked though, right up until it decided to stop for basically no reason at all.

Reactions: NortonCO
Dec 3, 2019
Mine has been like that forever. Going to the device via the web browser always asks for a plugin, download it and its useless.

The App always worked though, right up until it decided to stop for basically no reason at all.

I just started having the same issue around the same time as you all. We have a 6 channel NVR Lorex system and while the app has always sucked, at least I could use it for remote viewing. But the last couple month we've tried everything to get the app functionality working but it just always says "Create tunnel failed" for every camera. So frustrating. I'm going to call Lorex and see what they say. Wish me luck in getting to a person.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I just started having the same issue around the same time as you all. We have a 6 channel NVR Lorex system and while the app has always sucked, at least I could use it for remote viewing. But the last couple month we've tried everything to get the app functionality working but it just always says "Create tunnel failed" for every camera. So frustrating. I'm going to call Lorex and see what they say. Wish me luck in getting to a person.

Thanks for replying, good luck.

I've been trying everything still and have not found a solution. Based on how many of us are having this issue it probably isn't something user solv-able.

Dec 3, 2019
Thanks for replying, good luck.

I've been trying everything still and have not found a solution. Based on how many of us are having this issue it probably isn't something user solv-able.

Been on the phone with Lorex support for 30 minutes so far. They had me install the "Lorex Cloud" app and we tried re-adding the cameras via QR code as well as IP address. Tried on iPad as well as Samsung Galaxy S10. Both devices fail to connect to the app. Rep is now trying to get a testing device in her office (iPad or Android phone) to replicate the issue. What a super fun way to spend my Monday!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Been on the phone with Lorex support for 30 minutes so far. They had me install the "Lorex Cloud" app and we tried re-adding the cameras via QR code as well as IP address. Tried on iPad as well as Samsung Galaxy S10. Both devices fail to connect to the app. Rep is now trying to get a testing device in her office (iPad or Android phone) to replicate the issue. What a super fun way to spend my Monday!

You will be my hero if you find a solution!

Sep 12, 2019
They couldn't figure out why it's not working. Escalating internally. Gave me a case # so I'll be checking in with them next week. I don't have high hopes.
I echo everything @Rogue Leader said.,.. Appreciate you sharing your experience. If it would help to add additional customers to the ticket, post the number you called and your ticket number so we can call in too. Either way, please keep us posted!

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Sep 12, 2019
Update:

Noticed the "netHD Stratus" app has been delisted from the Google Play Store. They really have got to be kidding me.
Coincidentally, I noted the same thing a few weeks ago. FWIW, I made my way through EVERY Lorex Android app - NONE would connect to my LNR380. (I spent a LOT of time trying various ports and settings.)

Thanks to Google, I eventually found and downloaded the Lorex netHD Stratus .APK file elsewhere. Drop me a PM with your email address if you're unable to locate it, and I'll send you the ~14MB file.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Coincidentally, I noted the same thing a few weeks ago. FWIW, I made my way through EVERY Lorex Android app - NONE would connect to my LNR380. (I spent a LOT of time trying various ports and settings.)

Thanks to Google, I eventually found and downloaded the Lorex netHD Stratus .APK file elsewhere. Drop me a PM with your email address if you're unable to locate it, and I'll send you the ~14MB file.

Thanks. I have the app and backed up the apk, however the fact it was delisted doesn't bode well for them fixing it.

Dec 13, 2019
Has there been a solution to this issue. We too stopped being able to view our LNR300 about the same time, outside the network, inside it works fine. I have tried to contact Lorex, but have not heard back as of yet. Thanks

Last edited:

seveneyes7

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
I have a LNR380 which still works fine, but seems lorex no longer cares about supporting it. I have several current problems but have worked around most. No thanks to lorex.

1. I lost remote access a few years ago but found it was due to my ISP blocking outbound port TCP 1025 due to a common threat on the internet. I changed the port to TCP 5000 (mobile port). Possible other ISPs did this also?

2. lorex remote access stopped working using the device ID. I had to open TCP 8000 & TCP 5000 on my ISP router firewall since my route does not do UPnP. I now use lorex DDNS instead.

netHD Stratus works fine on my apple devices after these changes.

3. Firmware is so old. I would like to try and use the hkvision firmware for the cameras and NVR but I haven't found anywhere indicating anyone has done this successfully.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have a LNR380 which still works fine, but seems lorex no longer cares about supporting it. I have several current problems but have worked around most. No thanks to lorex.

1. I lost remote access a few years ago but found it was due to my ISP blocking outbound port TCP 1025 due to a common threat on the internet. I changed the port to TCP 5000 (mobile port). Possible other ISPs did this also?

2. lorex remote access stopped working using the device ID. I had to open TCP 8000 & TCP 5000 on my ISP router firewall since my route does not do UPnP. I now use lorex DDNS instead.

netHD Stratus works fine on my apple devices after these changes.

3. Firmware is so old. I would like to try and use the hkvision firmware for the cameras and NVR but I haven't found anywhere indicating anyone has done this successfully.

Thanks for these tips, this makes sense. I'm going to give it a shot later on and see what happens.

seveneyes7

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Keep in mind if you are trying to use the plugin, it will only work with IE 11. This is because many plugins are no longer supported in newer browser versions because of security issues. You could just use IE 11 just for this access. I have not tried recently but last time I used it it worked fine.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Keep in mind if you are trying to use the plugin, it will only work with IE 11. This is because many plugins are no longer supported in newer browser versions because of security issues. You could just use IE 11 just for this access. I have not tried recently but last time I used it it worked fine.

Yeah the plugin is junk, I never even tried it on ie11 but I figured it was that kind of problem. I want the app to work so I can see my house remotely from my phone... the whole reason for this device in the first place lol.

seveneyes7

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
Make sure what ever you do that all ports are not open to the internet (in dmz). The unit itself is not very secure and anybody can telnet into it or the cameras if they are open as root. The most recent firmware file for the lorex lnr380 had the root password in plain text if you checked the digicap.dav file.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Make sure what ever you do that all ports are not open to the internet (in dmz). The unit itself is not very secure and anybody can telnet into it or the cameras if they are open as root. The most recent firmware file for the lorex lnr380 had the root password in plain text if you checked the digicap.dav file.

I am disliking this device more and more every day.

So wait, if I open these ports on my router, then even though I can access it from my phone, it will be a big security risk. It (the app) DOES work within my network, and I have a VPN setup where I can access my network remotely, however strangely I still have the problem even if connected to my VPN.

seveneyes7

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
I opened 8000 the port used to access the system and read the configuration for the app. This is the port that the app uses to sign in. You may notice some illegal login attempts when setup so have a very good password set. The mobile port (default 1025) is the port that streams the video to the app.
I only opened these ports for the LNR.

I mentioned the telnet port issue since some might just put the lnr in the dmz which is easier than creating firewall rules. LNR300_SERIES_FIRMWARE_4CH_8CH_V2.2.7 is the version I have installed

I'd have to setup a VPN server to see why that would not work. Seems like it should. Possible routing issue or not enough bandwidth when using vpn?

Are you running a softeware VPN server? I've considered setting this up myself since it would be more secure in my opinion.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I opened 8000 the port used to access the system and read the configuration for the app. This is the port that the app uses to sign in. You may notice some illegal login attempts when setup so have a very good password set. The mobile port (default 1025) is the port that streams the video to the app.
I only opened these ports for the LNR.
Ok I will give that a shot, I have a pretty long password so that should do the job.

I mentioned the telnet port issue since some might just put the lnr in the dmz which is easier than creating firewall rules. LNR300_SERIES_FIRMWARE_4CH_8CH_V2.2.7 is the version I have installed

I am not sure which I am on, I'll need to check, I do remember updating to the latest one I could at the time I set it up.

I'd have to setup a VPN server to see why that would not work. Seems like it should. Possible routing issue or not enough bandwidth when using vpn?

Are you running a softeware VPN server? I've considered setting this up myself since it would be more secure in my opinion.

I shouldn't have any bandwidth issues, I am using a D-Link DSR-250 router which has the ability to create a VPN built in to it. No limits are set or anything like that, and I've transferred data to and from my server as well as used remote desktop no problem.