onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015
Laptop model: Asus Swift 1 SF114-32

The device previously had a cup of coffee spilled on it. Since this accident, it refuses to stay on without the charger plugged into the laptop.

I have replaced the battery with a verified and worked batter from iFixit's website. Even with the new battery, I get the same results.

As soon as the charger is removed, the laptop shuts off. Attempting to charge the laptop does not work. The battery percentage does not go pass 0%, even after a few hours of being on the charger.

After further disassembly, there is no sign of corrosion on the motherboard, charging port, or other internal hardware. There was little coffee residue dried to the internal housing.

I have not tried a different charger yet. I am currently in the process of finding a local charging solution that does not cost $60.

What other tests can I try in attempt to diagnose the charging issue? I have a micrometer and little experience using one- if need be. I would like to exhaust most options before needing to buy a replacement motherboard for this laptop.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

onlythefreshness

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2015
If I were you, I'd have tried cleaning the entire laptop after it was disassembled and placed into an ultrasonic cleaner. The coffee's residue must be playing up with the circuitry in your laptop's motherboard.
I'll see if I missed any residual coffee and clean with some isopropyl and a toothbrush. As for the ultrasonic cleaner, it appears to be out of budget as finding one large enough is pricey.

Do you have other suggestions for troubleshooting before replacing the motherboard? It should be noted that the owner of the laptop is not concerned with saving the device's data if that is a factor in any recommendations.