rajamiah123

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I need to buy a new laptop but i don't know what would be best for me Intel CPU or AMD CPU.

I don't want to spend to much about £300 -- Shops Ebuyer, currys --- UK

my uses for the laptop will be streaming HD videos, browsing, youtube, word processing, etc.

Also are the Amd a8, a6 , a4 CPUs any good in comparison to I5 and I3

randomkid

Distinguished

For the use you mentioned & the budget, APU's (a8, a6 & a4) are more suitable. It strikes a good balance between processing & graphics power.

Either should be fine as none of things you mentioned are very CPU intensive.

AMD's Llano APUs generally have weaker CPU cores than the Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs by about 20% assuming the same clockspeeds. On the other hand, the graphic core in Llano APUs are generally more powerful than the Intel HD 2000 or Intel HD 3000 graphic core in Intel's Sandy Bridge CPUs; depending on which models you are talking about. Core i3 CPUs ending with a "0" will have the HD 2000 core while those ending with a "5" will have the HD 3000 graphic core; for example the i3-2120 and i3-2125.

To put things in perspective, the Llano APU's graphic core generally range from about as powerful as a desktop Radeon HD 5550 graphic card (A4 models) to almost as powerful as a Radeon HD 5570 graphic card (A8 models). The Intel HD 3000 is basically equal to a desktop Radeon HD 5450 graphic card. Also, a few people have stated that they notice a little bit of video stuttering with the Intel HD 2000 / 3000 graphic cores when it playing video 24 frames per second (i.e. movies). The Llano APUs do not have this issue.

All in all, either one should be fine for your basic needs.