[SOLVED] Laptop hdmi not working after being unplugged

smagnan

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
I recently bought a new laptop and a display since I usually work with dual screen.
I've been using the laptop with the second monitor for a week without any issue, on both a windows 10 and a Ubuntu linux (even tho it required me to switch to proprietary drivers to make make the second display work).

Yesterday I unplugged the laptop to use it in an other room, and today after plugging it back the second monitor isn't detected anymore. Both windows and linux.
So far I tried:
  • switching monitor ports (hdmi 1 to 2)
  • trying other secondary monitors (two others)
  • trying an other hdmi cable
  • combinations of the above.
I also tried upgrading / reinstalling drivers on both windows and linux. The laptop display runs on the intel and the secondary display on the nvidia card.

The thing is (both windows and linux), no secondary display is detected at all.
On my current display, when I plug the hdmi cable finds it and after a bit goes "no signal detected". I then plug the hdmi to the pc side and the display goes black.
It seems to me that my laptop hdmi port is dead/broken.
Do you think it might still be a software issue or should I just return my PC?

I've read about potential issues with monitors freq difference (laptop is 144/60, the other 60/30) but it worked perfectly until now

INFO:
MSI GS65 Stealth 9SD
16 Gb Ram
Intel i-7 9759H
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti

Solution
Several different suggestions:

1. If Fast Startup is enabled on your machine then disable it. The number of bizarre problems I have had to deal with that could (eventually) be directly traced back to hiberfile corruption have been large. Check whether Fast Startup is enabled under Control Panel, Power Options, Choose what the power button does link, hit the Change settings that are currently unavailable link to gain access to those checkboxes then, if it's shown as enabled (checkbox checked), uncheck it. Save/OK your way back out.

2. After either a Restart, or Shutdown and power up when you know that Fast Startup is off, if the HDMI device is not recognized then open Device Manager and hit the Scan for New...

smagnan

Prominent
Aug 19, 2019
Unplug the second monitor from laptop. Restart without it plugged in. Plug in second monitor and restart. See if that helps.
I tried that earlier with no luck. Different boot sequences / orders, even switched around the drivers loading etc... no luck. Thank you for the advice tho! I know this works sometimes
So I gave up and unplugged everything and didn't use my PC for a few hours. My computer went on hibernate and I just decided to try again after waking it up... everything is back to normal, it worked right away after I plugged the hdmi... So I was thinking maybe this has to do with the hibernate mode because both the time the hdmi stopped working and this time it's back to normal happened after an entry/exit of hibernate. It might just be a coincidence tho

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Several different suggestions:

1. If Fast Startup is enabled on your machine then disable it. The number of bizarre problems I have had to deal with that could (eventually) be directly traced back to hiberfile corruption have been large. Check whether Fast Startup is enabled under Control Panel, Power Options, Choose what the power button does link, hit the Change settings that are currently unavailable link to gain access to those checkboxes then, if it's shown as enabled (checkbox checked), uncheck it. Save/OK your way back out.

2. After either a Restart, or Shutdown and power up when you know that Fast Startup is off, if the HDMI device is not recognized then open Device Manager and hit the Scan for New Hardware button (looks like a computer monitor with a magnifying glass on it). I do not know why, but some systems seem to have issues with plug n' play for USB and/or HDMI devices. The expected auto-recognition and setup of the devices under Device Manager just doesn't happen. You could even try this without a Restart and see if it does anything.

3. In general, avoid hibernation, period. If the machine is only going to be off for a short time or will be on AC power, then either sleep it in the former case or just keep it running in the latter (with a "turn off screen" set to however long you want to let it stay on after you've walked away). I use hibernation, but very rarely, when I know I will need to have the computer shut down for hours and hours before I use it again, but want everything back as it was. Repeated regular hibernation results in just the same sorts of full hibernation file corruptions that repeated shutdown/power-up cycles do in the hiberfile used for Fast Startup when that's enabled.

Reactions: Snel_
Solution
Apr 9, 2020
I tried that earlier with no luck. Different boot sequences / orders, even switched around the drivers loading etc... no luck. Thank you for the advice tho! I know this works sometimes
So I gave up and unplugged everything and didn't use my PC for a few hours. My computer went on hibernate and I just decided to try again after waking it up... everything is back to normal, it worked right away after I plugged the hdmi... So I was thinking maybe this has to do with the hibernate mode because both the time the hdmi stopped working and this time it's back to normal happened after an entry/exit of hibernate. It might just be a coincidence tho

Thank you! I have a Dell Inspiron 15 series, running on Ubuntu 18.04. I already had this problem before and i never related this with hibernation. But with your hint, i remembered that last night PC hibernated without HDMI, then today it wasn't working anymore, so i tried something:

1. With HDMI plugged in, hibernated PC.

2. Wake it up from hibernation, then restarted.

Eureka! Worked perfectly.

Hope it helps other people! Thank you!