Question Laptop overheating when plugged in (80c idle)

Le Babouin Lunaire

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hi ! I've been having this problem for some weeks now, and I can't seem to find a solution.

I have an ASUS ROG Strix GL703VM, with an i7-7700HQ CPU and GTX 1060 GPU, and I've been having some huge thermal throttling when playing games like Overwatch, FIFA and Far Cry : my games would just go from 120 to 40 fps instantly for a bit then come back to normal.

I installed the Intel tuning manager and saw that not only was my CPU thermal throttling, it's idle temps were way too high ! My CPU and GPU were running at 80c idle temps minimum, 99c max when playing games. I also realised that when I unplugged the laptop, the temperatures would drastically go down from 80c to 70c and under almost instantly.

I have tried resetting Windows, deleting every startup apps, put the CPU usage to 99% max in the power options, I also undervolted my CPU to -120V on the Intel tuning manager. As I am writing this, my CPU is running at 64c and GPU 67c with my laptop unplugged, 80c+ when plugged in. I also tried to disable any kind of turbo mode on the intel cpu, but there's no option to do so in the BIOS or the tuning app.

You could try adjusting your fan curve to get more air into it. Usually that helps, unless the cooling fans are already going full blast. If your fans are going full blast and you are still overheating it might be time to open the laptop up and take a look at the cooling system. It might be worth your time to clean it out if there is dust, hair, and gunk in there. You could also try your hand at replacing the stock thermal compound.

Alternatively, you could try using a cooling pad. People seem to gravitate to that solution a lot more often than the "open the case and mess with the internals" option... I don't for the life of me understand why...

Or you could take a look at your advanced power settings. It may have the settings set up to just ramp the CPU and GPU all the way up all the time when it is plugged in. Setting a more conservative power plan when plugged in might help.

I don't know why, but the general 7700QH and GTX 1060 setup seems to have cooling issues across multiple manufacturers. My Predator Helios 300 had similar issues, though not this extreme, and changing the thermal compound really helped in my case, though others have reported that it didn't help them at all. Others have sworn by cooling pads, and still others by undervolting... so there are options available. Good luck!

Le Babouin Lunaire

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
You could try adjusting your fan curve to get more air into it. Usually that helps, unless the cooling fans are already going full blast. If your fans are going full blast and you are still overheating it might be time to open the laptop up and take a look at the cooling system. It might be worth your time to clean it out if there is dust, hair, and gunk in there. You could also try your hand at replacing the stock thermal compound.

Alternatively, you could try using a cooling pad. People seem to gravitate to that solution a lot more often than the "open the case and mess with the internals" option... I don't for the life of me understand why...

Or you could take a look at your advanced power settings. It may have the settings set up to just ramp the CPU and GPU all the way up all the time when it is plugged in. Setting a more conservative power plan when plugged in might help.

I don't know why, but the general 7700QH and GTX 1060 setup seems to have cooling issues across multiple manufacturers. My Predator Helios 300 had similar issues, though not this extreme, and changing the thermal compound really helped in my case, though others have reported that it didn't help them at all. Others have sworn by cooling pads, and still others by undervolting... so there are options available. Good luck!

First of all, thank you for your fast and precise answer.

I've been thinking of replacing the thermal compound, but I'm a little scared of opening up the laptop.. I had no problem doing it on my former PC, but laptops being so compact and a bit harder to maneuver makes me a little scared, especially considering how the ROG isn't very.. user-friendly when it comes to opening it up. Still gonna give it a try !

I've also set the max power state to 70% for now, and the temps are now at 65c to 70c, so I at least found a temporary solution for now, until I change the thermal compound.

Mkazem

Honorable
Jul 18, 2016
Good advices but i don't think cooling pad would help 80c temps :)

Non of the easy solutions would help you like tuning software or even bios. don't hold your breath, It's time to get your cooling system fixed!

First of all, thank you for your fast and precise answer.

I've been thinking of replacing the thermal compound, but I'm a little scared of opening up the laptop.. I had no problem doing it on my former PC, but laptops being so compact and a bit harder to maneuver makes me a little scared, especially considering how the ROG isn't very.. user-friendly when it comes to opening it up. Still gonna give it a try !

I've also set the max power state to 70% for now, and the temps are now at 65c to 70c, so I at least found a temporary solution for now, until I change the thermal compound.
Take your time, consult a tutorial video, take notes or pictures as you go, and make a system that works for you to keep track of screws. Sometimes things can be tricky, but it is by no means impossible.

I suggest a high quality thermal compound with a long life so you don't have to open the thing up every 6 months to a year. I do not suggest liquid metal... it is just a bad idea in a laptop, despite the fantastic results.

With any luck you'll just find a thermal paste application that is of poor quality and you'll be in good shape after replacing it. Mine looked like a blind person applied it in an earthquake. Take your time and clean it out while you are at it.

Good luck, and if you need any guidance or assistance or have any questions come on back and someone here can help you out.

TRENDING THREADS