qwertynosik

Honorable
Jan 4, 2017
Good afternoon! I've just gotten a new Lenovo ThinkPad P14s Gen 2 as a working laptop from my employer, and I cannot understand how to detect an external monitor with discrete graphics. Could you help me, please? The situation is the following:

The laptop has 2 GPUs: integrated Intel Graphics and discrete Nvidia T500. I want to connect two 4K monitors to the laptop. The first monitor is connected via HDMI to the original laptop's HDMI port, the second monitor is connected with HDMI via a USB docking station to the laptop's USB Type C.

With default settings, when both integrated GPU and Nvidia T500 are available, the laptop detects both monitor and work almost fine. Despite the load of the T500 in the task manager is 0% all the time. I tried to set preference to use “discrete high performance GPU” for all profiles and all applications in Nvidia control panel, but it doesn't work. First of all, for some default applications like explorer, I cannot switch the GPU in Nvidia control panel. These applications use integrated graphics and I cannot change this setting because in contextual menu there is the only option—Integrated Graphics. For other applications like Google Chrome, in the contextual menu, there are 2 options: “integrated GPU” and “high performance discrete GPU”. I did change the used GPU to Nvidia T500 instead of Integrated GPU in control panel. But even after applying the change, restarting the laptop and checking that it is saved, the load of T500 is 0% all the time in the task manager, even when I use Google Chrome (for which I specified to use T500 instead of integrated GPU).

The problem is that even when I surf internet with these two 4K monitors, the integrated GPU is loaded to 100% almost all the time, and it becomes almost impossible to use the laptop, because it is extremely laggy. It is like slideshow with 1 FPS. However, when I use the laptop without any monitors, it works fine.

So, since I couldn't fix the issue with control panel, I decided just to disable the Intel GPU in device manager. When I disabled it, only Nvidia T500 left in all settings, and the load of the Nvidia GPU in task manager is not 0% now. So, at first glance it looked fine, but the issue is that the laptop doesn't detect my monitors anymore. I tried restarting the laptop, reconnecting the monitors, using another ports, but it doesn't work. Monitors say there is no signal, the laptop doesn't detect them even after pushing “Detect monitors” button in display settings. But with integrated GPU it was without any problems, just “plug and use”.

Well, my question is, what do I do wrong? How can I fix the issue, and how can I connect my monitors to use them with discrete Nvidia T500 and not integrated Intel GPU?

UPD1. I installed the latest driver for Nvidia T500 from their website before trying to connect monitors. In fact, I installed Windows 10 completely from scratch on a new clean SSD, and updated it as well. BIOS version is the latest as well.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to start off with your BIOS. See what your BIOS version at this moment of time for your laptop's motherboard. Use the laptop's serial number in Lenovo's support site and see what the BIOS version is listed as the latest. If you have a BIOS update pending, update it. Then check to see if your OS is pending any updates. Following that, use DDU to rid your entire platform of all GPU drivers. Once that is done, reinstall your GPU drivers with the latest sourced from here.

Pass on a link to the USB driven dock + the make and models of both external panels.

qwertynosik

Honorable
Jan 4, 2017
You might want to start off with your BIOS. See what your BIOS version at this moment of time for your laptop's motherboard. Use the laptop's serial number in Lenovo's support site and see what the BIOS version is listed as the latest. If you have a BIOS update pending, update it. Then check to see if your OS is pending any updates. Following that, use DDU to rid your entire platform of all GPU drivers. Once that is done, reinstall your GPU drivers with the latest sourced from here.

Pass on a link to the USB driven dock + the make and models of both external panels.

I installed the latest driver for Nvidia T500 from their website before trying to connect monitors. In fact, I installed Windows 10 completely from scratch on a new clean SSD, and updated it as well. BIOS version is the latest as well.

For drivers reinstalling - no result. The laptop still cannot detect monitors.

I am not sure, but cannot it be that the discrete GPU cannot be used with laptops ports? I am starting to feel that the T500 is only for some calculation tasks but not for being connected to external monitors. Can it be the restriction on hardware level?

Thirdeyechai

Honorable
Mar 19, 2017
I installed the latest driver for Nvidia T500 from their website before trying to connect monitors. In fact, I installed Windows 10 completely from scratch on a new clean SSD, and updated it as well. BIOS version is the latest as well.

For drivers reinstalling - no result. The laptop still cannot detect monitors.

I am not sure, but cannot it be that the discrete GPU cannot be used with laptops ports? I am starting to feel that the T500 is only for some calculation tasks but not for being connected to external monitors. Can it be the restriction on hardware level?

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same issue with my T500 always being at 0% utilization.