Question Looking for some feedback/opinions on a computer I'm wanting to upgrade/build to

Sep 26, 2021
I know you guys here are miles ahead of me in this stuff, so I know coming here and asking is probably well worth it given the feedback/expertise of users here!

So I'll make it short: trying to upgrade a very out-of-date, mid or lower range, pre-built Acer/Aspire/i3/etc. type low-grade PC without much use in certain "heavy" areas (i.e. HD/modern gaming).

I wanted to first just get a new CPU and etc., but quickly realizing the Intel H81 Chipset/etc. cannot likely manage modern stuff so I'll need a new motherboard and PSU, which unfortunately means more expenses....

I want to build something "powerhouse" like but low-tier so it's not too insane in price, but still very good. I was thinking of this since I can hopefully get all of this quite cheap:

1. i7 4790K -- should cut it for high-end gaming and streaming/encoding/etc. simultaneously (a "stream & gaming-in-one" capable CPU), plus many more higher-tier functions/programs

2. Asus Z97-A Mobo -- good enough or the best possible while still affordable for i7, PCI-e 3/etc.

3. DDR3 1600 MHz 8 or 16 GB -- no mega difference in clock speeds so 1600 is fine; have no idea of what unbuffered or etc. mean or how that'd benefit me though

4. GTX 960 or 970 with 4 GB -- should be well enough for 720p or 1080p of almost any modern-esque games with 60 FPS I'm assuming.

5. Any 300~ PSU or such -- nothing fancy needed I don't think. I'm mostly clueless on anything PSU related though.

Basically I want to be able to livestream, game and record all simultaneously with zero issues with at least basic Full HD/30-60 FPS of most titles -- I think this CPU and GPU should make the cut/both are pretty affordable too. Also, just generally a mightily powerful/hefty CPU in terms of single-threaded performance which should make lots of mid-to-higher end demanding programs run smoothly with the accompanying RAM/GPU/chipset/etc.

Any ideas? Recommendations? Feedback? Am I a little off-base in what I'm expecting out of this? I know it's nothing out of this world, but can it at least mostly do what I've mentioned here (HD gaming/livestreaming/all-in-one?)

Sep 26, 2021
My current main system is built around that COU. Using it as we speak.

This is something new you're building?

Why?
What is you actual budget for this?
What parts do you already have?
What will you use this for/

Yeah, I know it is in fact pretty pathetic, but it should at least be more acceptable than the crappy i3/onboard GPU/etc. system I have now.

I want it for basic HD/1080p/30 or 60 FPS gaming and livestreaming in one capabilities -- i.e. able to record/encode/stream HD quality games/gaming without lag all from the same machine itself, no dedicated streaming PC or capture card or etc. I know this may not be suitable for every kind of game/gaming experience but I think maybe it's enough for most games at basic HD settings and simultaneous streaming/recording/capturing from the same build itself.

I currently have only essential peripherals -- I'd need basically a new mobo for the heightened demands, a new PSU, new RAM, the CPU/GPU etc. and that's basically it, unless I'm missing something here. I don't think cooling or etc. is needed for the stock 4 GHz i7 4790K and the GTX 960 or 970 doesn't need anything beyond its bare essentials either, no?

I'm trying to get mostly everything for under $500 dollars hopefully, but that might not be possible it seems. lol

Sep 26, 2021
I asked for your actual budget, because a much newer platform might fit.

While the i7-4790k is a capable CPU, something 5-6 gens newer may be able to be had inside whatever budget you are working with.

I had thought the i7 4790K is about the best budget bang for the buck possible since it is in fact still pretty good even today for being under $130 from some sellers I've seen on ebay and etc.

All of the other next-gen type ones typically fly over $150 even used, which would then make it impossible to squeeze in or around 500 dollars with all other stuff needed. Maybe there are some better ones for not much more money, but I don't want to push it too much if the 4790K is good enough.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Very focussed on Intel, in my country you already get a Ryzen 2600 for sometimes even under €100. Might want to look that way with the extra cores and good performance a possibel better option and if looking for a B450 motherboard are there enough upgrade possibilities as well. Need to look for DDR4 ram (~3200mhz) in this case.

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-550f14hg-550w/p/1HU-024C-00008
Super Flower Leadex III 550W 80+ Gold Modular Power Supply $69.99

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813157978
ASRock B560M PRO4 $99.99

https://ameriprods.com/products/intel-intel-core-i5-10400f
INTEL CORE I5 10400F $139.61

https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-GAMMAXX-400-Blue-Compatible/dp/B00JQ2YDCY/
DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX 400 CPU Air Cooler $24.99

https://www.amazon.com/TEAMGROUP-T-Force-Vulcan-3200MHz-Desktop/dp/B07T637L7T/
TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 $66.99

Total: $402