seeinghighdog

Commendable
Sep 24, 2019
I have recently installed Norton AntiVirus and removed about 6 Trojan viruses from my computer. I'm not sure if it is just coincidence, but afterwards I noticed very unstable and lower frame rates in games (League of Legends). I also observe drop in frame rate on just my desktop in certain programs, such as Norton and Corsair iCue, where moving my mouse across the screen does not look smooth. I have a 165 Hz monitor and have previously never had any issues running League of Legends stably at 165 fps and above. I ran a test on UserBenchmark and it showed low performance across the board for CPU, GPU, and SSD's / HDD's and noted a very high (91%) background CPU usage. Task manager shows no CPU-intensive background applications running.

Specs
Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K
Motherboard: MSI Z270 GAMING M7
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
RAM: 32 GB

Link to benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20414970

I have already tried:
  • Clean reinstall of Windows 10
  • Rolled back to older drivers and older Windows 10 versions
  • Clean reinstall of latest drivers
  • Checking CPU and GPU temperatures for any overheating
  • Full scan with Norton
  • Swapping out the GPU (was previously a GTX 1070)
  • Reinstalling games
Does this sound like a software or hardware issue? I have already replaced the GPU and the only thing left I can think of would be the motherboard. Norton has not found any further viruses. All previous programs were uninstalled when I reinstalled Windows 10.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: The frame rate in League of Legends varies from 50-140 fps, and monitoring programs do not show either CPU or GPU under very heavy loads or high temperatures.

Last edited:

seeinghighdog

Commendable
Sep 24, 2019
Give this a spin: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner
It may catch things Norton may have missed.

Power supply make and model?

Turbo Boost isn't disabled in bios, is it? I'm asking because the boost clock recorded in the benchmark is the same as the base.
Thank you, I'll give that adwcleaner a try. Wouldn't the clean install of Windows have rid the system of any potentially remaining viruses?

PSU is Corsair RM1000x.

Turbo Boost isn't disabled last time I checked. I set the clock back to base just to see if it made a difference. It had previously been at 4.9 GHz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you, I'll give that adwcleaner a try. Wouldn't the clean install of Windows have rid the system of any potentially remaining viruses?

PSU is Corsair RM1000x.

Turbo Boost isn't disabled last time I checked. I set the clock back to base just to see if it made a difference. It had previously been at 4.9 GHz
1)Reinstalling Windows is C Drive only. If the nasties are on your other drives, they won't get touched.

2)No complaints there.

3)Just checking. The benchmark results reported a Turbo Clock of 4.2ghz, when the cpu's Base Clock is the same. The normal All Core Turbo is 4.4ghz.

seeinghighdog

Commendable
Sep 24, 2019
1)Reinstalling Windows is C Drive only. If the nasties are on your other drives, they won't get touched.

2)No complaints there.

3)Just checking. The benchmark results reported a Turbo Clock of 4.2ghz, when the cpu's Base Clock is the same. The normal All Core Turbo is 4.4ghz.
I ran adwcleaner, it removed 2 items:
  • PUP.Adware.Heuristic
  • PUP.Optional.Legacy
I think that seems to have done the trick: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20415984

It looks like G-sync is capping the frame rate to the monitor's refresh rate? League of Legends now runs at 163-164 fps.

Thanks a lot Phaaze. I wish I knew about adwcleaner before. I believe I did run Malwarebytes before but it didn't catch anything. It was a very quick and painless solution. Hopefully that's the last bit of malware in my system.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I ran adwcleaner, it removed 2 items:
  • PUP.Adware.Heuristic
  • PUP.Optional.Legacy
I think that seems to have done the trick: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20415984

It looks like G-sync is capping the frame rate to the monitor's refresh rate? League of Legends now runs at 163-164 fps.

Thanks a lot Phaaze. I wish I knew about adwcleaner before. I believe I did run Malwarebytes before but it didn't catch anything. It was a very quick and painless solution. Hopefully that's the last bit of malware in my system.
Yea, G-sync normally screws with benchmark results, so that's normal.

It won't hurt to run it from time to time. The antivirus won't catch everything.