Question Low Cinebench Score for i5-12400F ?

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
Hello,
out of curiosity I ran Cinebench R23 and R24 and I noticed that the results of my i5-12400F were lower compared to what reviewers reported on some websites.

R24 :
Single core: 97 [ websites report +101]
Multicore : 6571 [ websites report 7000]

R23:
Single core : 1644 [websites report 1700]
Multicore: 11685 [ websites report 12000

My CPU temp never exceeded 63c during the tests , so it can't be throttling, can it ?
My other specifications
PSU: 750 Watt 80 Plus® Bronze Certified Fully Modular RGB PSU
RAM: VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600
Mobo: MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI

I have already selected Tower cooler in MSI bios , I even tried the water cooler option, which made no significant change. Is there a problem with my CPU?

Hello,
out of curiosity I ran Cinebench R23 and R24 and I noticed that the results of my 12400f were lower compared to what reviewers reported on some websites.

R24 :
Single core: 97 [ websites report +101]
Multicore : 6571 [ websites report 7000]

R23:
Single core : 1644 [websites report 1700]
Multicore: 11685 [ websites report 12000

My CPU temp never exceeded 63c during the tests , so it can't be throttling, can it ?
My other specifications
PSU: 750 Watt 80 Plus® Bronze Certified Fully Modular RGB PSU
RAM: VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3600
Mobo: MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI

I have already selected Tower cooler in MSI bios , I even tried the water cooler option, which made no significant change. Is there a problem with my CPU?
Is BIOS set to factory defaults ? It's usually needed to do some tweaking for best results.

Reactions: Samuel-212

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
Is BIOS set to factory defaults ? It's usually needed to do some tweaking for best results.
I just turned on XMP and selected tower cooling in the OC menu. is there anything else I should do? Not that I care , I just want to make sure everything is working the way it should.

@Samuel-212
Your Cinebench scores are only a couple of percent lower. This is usually caused by too many apps running in the background.

Try running ThrottleStop 9.6
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

The reported C0% is an accurate measure of background activity. Your computer should be somewhere close to 0.5% when idle. If you are way above that, your Cinebench scores will be lower compared to the other scores you have found. The CPU is busy processing useless background tasks when it should be working on the benchmark.

You can see in this example that average C0% can be very low when a Windows install is not a bloated mess.

KKfluWc.png

If your C0% is high, open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab and find out what is running on your computer. That is how the experts get great benchmark scores.

Open the ThrottleStop Limit Reasons window and watch this info while Cinebench is running. Are there any red boxes under the CORE column? That would indicate some sort of throttling. Post a screenshot while your CPU is loaded if you need help understanding what ThrottleStop is telling you.

Reactions: Samuel-212

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
After tinkering with things a little I managed to get these scores
Single core : 101 [ this one is good ]
Multicore: 680 [ still 20 marks below the reported score]
Am I good to go ? that negligible difference is unlikely to affect me right?

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
@Samuel-212
Your Cinebench scores are only a couple of percent lower. This is usually caused by too many apps running in the background.

The reported C0% is an accurate measure of background activity. Your computer should be somewhere close to 0.5% when idle. If you are way above that, your Cinebench scores will be lower compared to the other scores you have found. The CPU is busy processing useless background tasks when it should be working on the benchmark.

You can see in this example that average C0% can be very low when a Windows install is not a bloated mess.

KKfluWc.png

If your C0% is high, open the Task Manager, go to the Details tab and find out what is running on your computer. That is how the experts get great benchmark scores.

Open the ThrottleStop Limit Reasons window and watch this info while Cinebench is running. Are there any red boxes under the CORE column? That would indicate some sort of throttling. Post a screenshot while your CPU is loaded if you need help understanding what ThrottleStop is telling you.
Sure! Thank you

Samuel-212

Prominent
Jan 25, 2023
@Samuel-212

KKfluWc.png

That solved the problem- Thank you!
How can I choose the best answer, there was an option for that in the past.