Apr 15, 2019
Hi, I hope you guys can help me figure this one out because I have tried everything I can think of but the problem doesn't go away

No matter what game I am playing, it could be a new game or an old game, my CPU usage is always low (10% - 30%) and I think that's causing low FPS in games that my PC should max out pretty easily. Changing the graphics settings doesn't make much of a difference, unless it's settings like Bloom, Ambient Occlusion, etc. Typical settings like Texture Quality, Shadow Quality, Terrain Quality, Water Quality and such other options have next to no effect on FPS, whether I set all of them at Low or Ultra

I have tested this on Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings, Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, and some other games. Sometimes older games perform worse, I can't get 60FPS on Call of Duty Ghosts (lowest settings), but I can get 60FPS on Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (high settings), these days I am playing Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings and I should be able to play that game on maximum settings but I can't seem to

With Witcher 3 Wild Hunt at lowest settings I get an average of 30 - 35 FPS, and at high settings I get around 27 - 32 FPS, the settings in the graphics section have no effect on FPS, only the settings in the post-processing section does

I am using MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU, GPU, RAM usage and FPS

PC Specifications:
Intel Core i5-2400 3.1Ghz (4 Cores)
Intel DH61BE USB 3.0 Motherboard
Hynix 8GB 1600Mhz RAM (Running at 1333Mhz)
AMD Radeon R7 260X 2GB 128-Bit

Apr 15, 2019
what the cpu/gpu temp and usage?
make and model of the psu?
recent upgrade?
Where did you get the games from?

I already mentioned the CPU Usage (10% - 30%), the GPU is always at 95% - 100% usage

The temperature for the GPU is around 80° Celsius when playing, the temperature for the CPU is around 60 ° Celsius when playing, though the temperature for the CPU is around 80° Celsius when when in BIOS

The PSU is a Cooler Master 460 watt PSU

I wouldn't call it a recent upgrade, and the problem has been there from the start

I purchased the games from a store (not online)

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
Have you tried a general tidy/maintenance of your system? It's pretty old, so have you cleaned it out and removed dust build-up, also the thermal paste on your CPU may have degraded and will need re-applying you can also re-apply to the GPU.

Apr 15, 2019
Have you tried a general tidy/maintenance of your system? It's pretty old, so have you cleaned it out and removed dust build-up, also the thermal paste on your CPU may have degraded and will need re-applying you can also re-apply to the GPU.

I keep my PC very clean, there's no dust on the motherboard or the two 120mm fans, or the processor fan. I reapplied the thermal paste some months ago because I changed my motherboard recently (the old one died)

menlui

Respectable
Jul 18, 2018
The only 460W Coolermaster PSU's i can find are the Elite Power 460 and the Extreme Power Plus 460, both of which aren't very good, they both have a dual 12v rail and 'boast' a 70 efficiency so you'll be getting around 150W at a push your TDP for the 260x is 115 so i'm thinking it's on its way out which your lucky as they are both well past their longevity with only a 2 year warranty on the Extreme Power Plus 460 and 1 year on the Elite. I'd recommend a new PSU and a decent one 450-500W

Apr 15, 2019
The only 460W Coolermaster PSU's i can find are the Elite Power 460 and the Extreme Power Plus 460, both of which aren't very good, they both have a dual 12v rail and 'boast' a 70 efficiency so you'll be getting around 150W at a push your TDP for the 260x is 115 so i'm thinking it's on its way out which your lucky as they are both well past their longevity with only a 2 year warranty on the Extreme Power Plus 460 and 1 year on the Elite. I'd recommend a new PSU and a decent one 450-500W

My power supply is labeled RS-460-PCAP-J3, and upon googling it I learned that it is the Elite Power 460. Are you sure this is a power supply issue? because the voltage reading in my motherboard's BIOS is perfect. By the way, is Thermaltake TR2-600w a good power supply?