Question Low performance in games after the second restart of a driver reinstall

Oct 13, 2024
(model: Nitro AN515-57)

Steps to reproduce: Run DDU, restart, install graphics driver, restart, game will run fine, restart again, game now runs at 10fps. Noticed: Integrated graphics is being used when running the game, sometimes at the same time as dedicated. It is maxed out. Reinstalling Windows led to exactly the same behavior, no differences. It was a clean reinstall from a USB onto a blank partition. (Note that the game being used in this example is Space marine 2, but the problem remains the same for everything else)
Other things to note: Replaced thermal paste, which was not recent (a year ago give or take before this occurred) and all games are affected. 2D games and visual novels run okay, probably because the iGPU can handle them.

I had posted this on reddit 2 days ago and since then I have been able to play games with my normal frames, yet I can see that my gpu output is minimal and I prefer not to use it as long as I dont know what is going on.

I would appreciate any pointers and assistance regarding this issue.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the SKU to your laptop? If you have a discrete GPU on your laptop, you should use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually install the latest GPU drivers in an elevated command without the internet. The OS tends to download drivers it thinks is right for your platform which often times isn't.

Reinstalling Windows led to exactly the same behavior, no differences.
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode?

Might want to also see if the laptop is pending a BIOS update.

Oct 13, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the SKU to your laptop? If you have a discrete GPU on your laptop, you should use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(Intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually install the latest GPU drivers in an elevated command without the internet. The OS tends to download drivers it thinks is right for your platform which often times isn't.

Reinstalling Windows led to exactly the same behavior, no differences.
Where did you source the installer for the OS? Did you install the OS in offline mode?

Might want to also see if the laptop is pending a BIOS update.
I have a dedicated gpu, and I already used ddu as described
I reinstalled windows from a usb onto a empty volume as described in my post, it was created with the media creation tool
I went through OOBE without connecting to the internet

I am also up to date with my BIOS

Last edited: