Feb 13, 2023
To start here are the relevant specs:

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming B450-PLUS II
SSD: SK Hynix SC308 128GB M.2 SATA SSD

The SSD in question currently contains an old Windows 10 installation, and I'm trying to reformat it for use as a normal storage drive. I already have a 2.5" SATA SSD with my OS on it (Windows 10) and a 1TB HDD for storage.

My mobo has two M.2 slots, and I've tried them both. BIOS shows "N/A" in the drive list for the M.2 slot in both cases. Windows Disc Management shows no entry for the drive as well.

Is this drive just incompatible with my mobo? Am I ignorant of some BIOS setting to manually change the slot to SATA mode or something?

Here is an excerpt from the "Storage" section of the manual for the mobo if it helps:

Total supports 2 x M.2 slots and 6 x SATA 6Gb/s ports​
3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics​
1 x M.2_1 slot (Key M), type 2242/2260/2280/22110 (supports PCIe 3.0 x4 & SATA modes)*​
AMD Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors​
1 x M.2_1 slot (Key M), type 2242/2260/2280/22110 (supports SATA mode)*​
3rd/2nd/1st Gen AMD Ryzen™/ 2nd and 1st Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors​
2 x SATA 6Gb/s ports with Raid 0, 1, 10 support​
AMD B450 Chipset​
1 x M.2_2 slot (Key M), type 2242/2260/2280 (supports PCIe 2.0 x4 mode)**​
4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports with Raid 0, 1, 10 support​
*M.2_1 shares bandwidth with SATA6G_56. When M.2_1 is populated, SATA6G_56 will be disabled.​
**When M.2_2 is occupied, PCIe x16_2, PCIe x1_1, and PCIe x1_2 will be disabled.​
I don't see anything that would point to incompatibility, unless I'm blind and missing something obvious.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any insight.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

ASUS TUF Gaming B450-PLUS II
What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What processor are you working with?

The SSD in question currently contains an old Windows 10 installation, and I'm trying to reformat it for use as a normal storage drive. I already have a 2.5" SATA SSD with my OS on it (Windows 10) and a 1TB HDD for storage.
If the SATA SSD is large, then I'd repurpose that drive as a game drive, then sue the M.2 SSD as the OS drive, meaning reinstall the OS onto the smaller capacity SSD(if the 2.5" SSD is larger than 128GB.

Without any of your storage drives hooked to the board except the M.2, you should be able to boot to OS, unless your BIOS is preventing it or the SSD you acquired is conked out.

Feb 13, 2023

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? What processor are you working with?

If the SATA SSD is large, then I'd repurpose that drive as a game drive, then sue the M.2 SSD as the OS drive, meaning reinstall the OS onto the smaller capacity SSD(if the 2.5" SSD is larger than 128GB.

Without any of your storage drives hooked to the board except the M.2, you should be able to boot to OS, unless your BIOS is preventing it or the SSD you acquired is conked out.

Thanks for the response.

I will check the BIOS version as soon as I get home from work.

Processor is a Ryzen 5 5600X.

During my initial testing, while connecting it to the M.2_1 slot, I believe my 2.5" SSD was disabled, presumably because it was in the SATA 6G_56 slot, and in that particular circumstance it was not booting to OS, I was getting sent straight to the BIOS screen. I will still try disconnecting my other drives just for good measure.

I'll get back to you with results and the BIOS version in a couple hours.

Feb 13, 2023

BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 3205, 7/13/2021
SMBIOS Version: 3.3

I also tried booting with only the M.2 drive installed in the M.2_2 slot. Just as before, it would only take me to the BIOS, where the drive list would read "N/A" for the M.2.

One thing I noticed though, there is only an entry in the BIOS for M.2_1 and nothing for M.2_2, even in the Advanced Options under the SATA and NVME configuration pages... I wonder why that is.

Just for the record, in the boot scenario I shared in my last comment, the drive was installed in the M.2_1 slot.

Feb 13, 2023
Feb 13, 2023
Well, I've updated the BIOS and swapped the drive to the M.2_1 slot with no other drives connected... Still getting pushed to the BIOS and seeing nothing in the drive list entry for the M.2 slot.

All I can think to do now is to test it on a known-compatible mobo tomorrow while I'm at work. If it doesn't work there then we can say for sure that it's dead.

If, on the other hand, it does work... then I'll really be stumped.