Apr 8, 2021
Alright so heres the deal. I bought an asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, and I have seen people with the exact same setup apart from cpu being different but most the time same if not worse, and they are getting like 70fps max settings gta v and others. I have tried power plan, nvidia control panel stuff probably not everything in there though so please give me ideas I really want help. Thank you.

Alright so heres the deal. I bought an asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, and I have seen people with the exact same setup apart from cpu being different
CPU differences are very important!

gta v and others.
GTA5 is notoriously very CPU-dependent. That's why you see it used in almost every CPU review benchmark suite.

Please tell us your CPU
What RAM do you have? 2 sticks? are they installed in the proper slots to enable dual-channel operation

Apr 8, 2021
What cpu do they have? And what cpu do you have? Also to make it easier can you list full pc specs including psu and ram speeds
I have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600X six core twelve thread average speed: 3.6 GHz and i have 16 GB of ddr4 2666 RAM system disk is: KINGSTON SSD 500GB 3500r 3100w and that gpu.

Apr 8, 2021
Apr 8, 2021
Reactions: spentshells
Apr 8, 2021
If the CPU is different then... it's not the same exact setup.

If you have low framerates it's possible some component is thermal throttling, usually the CPU but it could be the GPU as well if let's say the case doesn't has any fresh air intake.
ik but i dont think it should be under peforming this much and under full load it maxes out at GPU:50-55 CPU: 55-64ish

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is a function of the cpu. Not the gpu. It takes a certain amount of time for a cpu to decode the game code, place object addresses, assign dimensions, Ai, npcs and all the other stuff that goes into a frame. The amount of times a cpu can do that in 1 second is your fps limit.

That data gets shipped to the gpu, where the gpu takes all that frame info, creates a wire-frame, places the objects according to address etc, then colors that wire-frame according to detail levels, then renders the full pictured frame according to resolution. The amount of times the gpu can do that is the fps you get on screen and see in the little fps counters.

What the cpu can output and what the gpu can output are almost always 2 different numbers. The cpu might be shipping 100fps, but if details are too high or resolution then the gpu might only put out 30fps. Lowering details or resolution means less work for the gpu per frame, frames get finished faster, higher fps on screen.

But if the cpu only gives 30fps, that's all the gpu can output at best, no matter what the detail levels or resolution. Gpu cannot put more frames on screen than it receives.

And that's what it seems you are running into. Your Ryzen is running sub-optimal boosts, and has the disadvantage of slower than optimal ram, which sets the fclock lower = slower communication between the cores.

I'd look into Dram Calculator (need typhoon burner too) from guru3d.com and maximize your ram ability. In dual channel they need to be in A2/B2 slots.

I'd also look into cpu temps, and lowering VID as much as possible, Ryzens start dropping MHz on a core to core basis after 60°C, so getting temps down and voltages down helps boosts higher.

Usage is misleading. It's not how much of the cpu/gpu is used, but how much resources like cores, core bandwidth, memory controller, pcie lane bandwidth etc that the cpu/gpu uses. There's a difference. Since both are well below 100%, there's no bottlenecks to performance, just sub-optimal performance from the cpu = lower fps.

Apr 8, 2021
Fps is a function of the cpu. Not the gpu. It takes a certain amount of time for a cpu to decode the game code, place object addresses, assign dimensions, Ai, npcs and all the other stuff that goes into a frame. The amount of times a cpu can do that in 1 second is your fps limit.

That data gets shipped to the gpu, where the gpu takes all that frame info, creates a wire-frame, places the objects according to address etc, then colors that wire-frame according to detail levels, then renders the full pictured frame according to resolution. The amount of times the gpu can do that is the fps you get on screen and see in the little fps counters.

What the cpu can output and what the gpu can output are almost always 2 different numbers. The cpu might be shipping 100fps, but if details are too high or resolution then the gpu might only put out 30fps. Lowering details or resolution means less work for the gpu per frame, frames get finished faster, higher fps on screen.

But if the cpu only gives 30fps, that's all the gpu can output at best, no matter what the detail levels or resolution. Gpu cannot put more frames on screen than it receives.

And that's what it seems you are running into. Your Ryzen is running sub-optimal boosts, and has the disadvantage of slower than optimal ram, which sets the fclock lower = slower communication between the cores.

I'd look into Dram Calculator (need typhoon burner too) from guru3d.com and maximize your ram ability. In dual channel they need to be in A2/B2 slots.

I'd also look into cpu temps, and lowering VID as much as possible, Ryzens start dropping MHz on a core to core basis after 60°C, so getting temps down and voltages down helps boosts higher.

Usage is misleading. It's not how much of the cpu/gpu is used, but how much resources like cores, core bandwidth, memory controller, pcie lane bandwidth etc that the cpu/gpu uses. There's a difference. Since both are well below 100%, there's no bottlenecks to performance, just sub-optimal performance from the cpu = lower fps.
ok so i will look into that but when i looked in ai suite for idle temps i saw that my gpu clock is at 139 MHz even though it said it does 1200MHz on product

ik but i dont think it should be under peforming this much and under full load it maxes out at GPU:50-55 CPU: 55-64ish
CPU usage % = # threads used / # threads available.
Not uncommon to see 50% usage on a 12 thread CPU. Most games don't leverage more than 6-8 threads, especially older ones like GTA5

The GPU usge % is the telltale sign.

THAT BEING SAID: I do agree that you should be seeing more than 30fps with your setup.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gpus have 3 clocks. Idle, base, boost.
Idle is just that, clocks lower, voltage and power use lowers, the card returns to a minimum power state.
Base clocks are the minumim clocks the gpu is guaranteed to run at, under a full load. If you manually turn off boost/turbo, then run at any higher load, what you'll get maximum is the Base clock.
Boost clocks are clock speeds above and beyond base, and there's no guarantee to what extent the gpu will actually boost to, because that's dependent on power, loads, usage, temps etc.

So a gpu with a base of 1500MHz might boost to 1700MHz in one game running at 75°C, but only boost to 1550MHz in a different game but is running at 85°C. If you manually turned off the Gpu Boost, you'd get 1500MHz in either game, regardless of 75°C or 85°C.

When you stop playing the game, and go back to windows, the gpu will not need to even bump clocks upto 1500MHz, but might run at 800MHz until you open a YouTube video etc.

Reactions: DeckZPC
Apr 8, 2021
Gpus have 3 clocks. Idle, base, boost.
Idle is just that, clocks lower, voltage and power use lowers, the card returns to a minimum power state.
Base clocks are the minumim clocks the gpu is guaranteed to run at, under a full load. If you manually turn off boost/turbo, then run at any higher load, what you'll get maximum is the Base clock.
Boost clocks are clock speeds above and beyond base, and there's no guarantee to what extent the gpu will actually boost to, because that's dependent on power, loads, usage, temps etc.

So a gpu with a base of 1500MHz might boost to 1700MHz in one game running at 75°C, but only boost to 1550MHz in a different game but is running at 85°C. If you manually turned off the Gpu Boost, you'd get 1500MHz in either game, regardless of 75°C or 85°C.

When you stop playing the game, and go back to windows, the gpu will not need to even bump clocks upto 1500MHz, but might run at 800MHz until you open a YouTube video etc.
ok thanks sorry for the late reply i have a warranty on it so i might send it back to them for them to test in a different system and if its the gpu being faulty they will send me a new one so then i know if it is my gpu model, my system, or if its faulty