Josea7x09

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
Hello everybody. I assembled my pc back in January with a Ryzen 3600, B450 Tomahawk Max, 8x2 gb Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz memory, and an Asus RTX 2060.

Since I put the build together I noticed my temps were always fluctuating in the high 50s - 60s while idle, and sometimes it would even spike to the high 70s (on rare occasions it would reach the80s). I also noticed that the voltage was always between 1.3-1.35 without anything but discord/chrome open.

As for cooling, I had a beefy Scythe Fuma rev. B always at 100% as I didnt bother about the noise. A few days ago I got an AIO, the new Masterliquid 240L V2 in the hopes of getting better temps. To my surprise, it didn't improve much. So I decided to disable Core Performance Boost (CPB) in my BIOS which lowered the voltage all the way to 1.0 and sometimes 0.9, also lowering temps (around 47c idle and no spikes). This also capped my cpu to 3600mhz, so I started meddling with OC.

Didn't really want to push my CPU that hard, just wanted to keep getting PBO performance, while lowering my temps. So I set up an all core OC to 3900mhz (which was the max reported by CPU-Z) with an override of 1.25v. Did a quick test on CPU-Z, and max temp was around 74c (it was hitting 85 with PBO and CPB enabled before). Also, idle temps were below 50, so I'm happy with the results.

In any case, the real question is... Is this a safe OC? I was reading about cpu degradation, and it really worries me to damage my processor by having a constant voltage.

Thanks, any suggestions are welcomed.

Solution
1)Remove that overclock - go into bios, set 'optimized defaults', save and exit, then re-enter bios.

2)Re-enable your XMP profile, then save and exit.

3)With the current installed cooler, run the following benchmarks, and record BOTH frequency and temperature:
Cinebench R20
Cpu-Z benchmark

4)Swap to the other cooler, and repeat #3.

The why: UNLIKE with Intel and older Ryzen cpus, measuring thermals alone is not enough with Ryzen 3000 cpus.
They are like Nvidia gpus in that their all, or multi-thread, frequencies are affected by power and thermal headroom - does not affect single thread performance.

The cold...: Manual frequency OC on Ryzen 3000 sucks. The user can gain a slight multi-thread bump, but they sacrifice the single...

Josea7x09

Reputable
Dec 6, 2016
Don't know the answer precisely, so I'll leave it to the experts, but I have a question for you, how did you overclock a non-x cpu?
Just go into the BIOS, and look for the Overlockcing section. I have a MSI MBoard, so I don't know where those settings are in other manufactures. You could also use RyzenMaster, but you'd have to apply your profile everytime you boot up the PC.

Alatrix

Great
Jul 14, 2020
Just go into the BIOS, and look for the Overlockcing section. I have a MSI MBoard, so I don't know where those settings are in other manufactures. You could also use RyzenMaster, but you'd have to apply your profile everytime you boot up the PC.
Uh, I thought that the non-x series were like the non-k models for intel, non overclockable

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Remove that overclock - go into bios, set 'optimized defaults', save and exit, then re-enter bios.

2)Re-enable your XMP profile, then save and exit.

3)With the current installed cooler, run the following benchmarks, and record BOTH frequency and temperature:
Cinebench R20
Cpu-Z benchmark

4)Swap to the other cooler, and repeat #3.

The why: UNLIKE with Intel and older Ryzen cpus, measuring thermals alone is not enough with Ryzen 3000 cpus.
They are like Nvidia gpus in that their all, or multi-thread, frequencies are affected by power and thermal headroom - does not affect single thread performance.

The cold...: Manual frequency OC on Ryzen 3000 sucks. The user can gain a slight multi-thread bump, but they sacrifice the single thread performance.
Hard truth: These cpus can tune themselves better than the user can; the user need do literally nothing, save for 2 - good cooling and dual channel ram up to 3733mhz with CL16/17, or tighter timings.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS