Question MBPS is all messed up.

Jul 13, 2024
So I just fixed my pc, got an ethernet cable and my internet has never been faster, I tested it on google and another site and got a solid 800+ mbps.

Now when I used it on steam, I had 200 mbps max, which isn't a big deal, i would have sufficed...

NOW! im getting what seems 15 mbps on average. I need some guidance on what I need to do or look into, any and ALL help is appreciated!!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Any other devices connected to the same home network? Which could hog the download bandwidth?

If not, contact your ISP and ask what is going on. They can easily tell why they are only allocating 15 Mbps, rather than close to 800 Mbps.

Though, could not even be the ISP issue, could be another server issue.
Internet connection, in simplified form, works like so: Your PC --- (800 Mbps) --- ISP sever --- (800 Mbps) --- 1st proxy server --- (15 Mbps) --- target server.
Whereby when in the chain, there is one bottleneck, it will bring the overall connection speed down. And there could be nothing that you or your ISP can do, since the bottleneck is outside of ISP sever range.

Reactions: cmndrgoof
Jul 13, 2024
Any other devices connected to the same home network? Which could hog the download bandwidth?

If not, contact your ISP and ask what is going on. They can easily tell why they are only allocating 15 Mbps, rather than close to 800 Mbps.

Though, could not even be the ISP issue, could be another server issue.
Internet connection, in simplified form, works like so: Your PC --- (800 Mbps) --- ISP sever --- (800 Mbps) --- 1st proxy server --- (15 Mbps) --- target server.
Whereby when in the chain, there is one bottleneck, it will bring the overall connection speed down. And there could be nothing that you or your ISP can do, since the bottleneck is outside of ISP sever range.
how would i check if there is a proxy server?

if it is any help, when i started the download again it peaked at 500 mbps, and slowly went back down to the way smaller 50ish mbps

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
how would i check if there is a proxy server?
There always will be proxy servers in the chain of internet connection. Oftentimes, you can't even tell the connection is routing through several servers, before reaching the destination.

But one thing you can do, is to ping the website and look what the response time is. If it is low (20ms or less), site works great. If it is high (500ms or more) or when packages are lost, there is issue in the connection.

Tutorial on how to do it in CMD;

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWZMVM_7csE

if it is any help, when i started the download again it peaked at 500 mbps, and slowly went back down to the way smaller 50ish mbps
This is normal.

If you read your internet plan ToS, you should learn that the max download speed offered by ISP, e.g 800 Mbps, is the up to offered, and not the average or even constant.

E.g my net speed max is up to 500 Mbps Down and up to 50 Mbps Up. But that doesn't mean i'll get 500 Mbps down at all times. It starts out at 500 Mbps but usually drops down to ~200 Mbps, completely depending on where i connect to and at what time of the day.

Reactions: cmndrgoof
In some cases it is the speedtest server. I would try to manually select other servers just in case. Best tends to be one owned by you ISP. You could also try a completely different speedtest site. most people use OOKLA but there are others.

How is your internet delivered to your house. Is it something like fiber or coax cable.

I suspect you are getting data loss. The way speedtest programs work is they attempt to transfer as much data as possible until they see data loss. The theory is you will get data loss when you attempt to exceed your bandwidth but if you are getting random data loss it can artificially cause a lower number on speedtest.

Try simple ping -t 8.8.8.8

If this is ok try to disable IPv6 support in your nic, Sometime IPv6 follows a different path than IPv4.

kanewolf

Titan
So I just fixed my pc, got an ethernet cable and my internet has never been faster, I tested it on google and another site and got a solid 800+ mbps.

Now when I used it on steam, I had 200 mbps max, which isn't a big deal, i would have sufficed...

NOW! im getting what seems 15 mbps on average. I need some guidance on what I need to do or look into, any and ALL help is appreciated!!
What was "fixed" ?
Make sure you have your units correct. Downloads are typically megabytes (MBs) where as speedtest is megabits (Mbs). So 15 megabytes / second is around 150 Mbs (megabits / sec).
Verify that you aren't having performance issues because of Windows autotune -- https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/windows-10-limiting-internet-speed/