[SOLVED] Mesh or Wireless Router/Extender for reaches of home!

Jay_Z

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I am trying to determine the best way to extend the reach of my wifi!

Got a 5000sq ft home with a wireless router located centrally - now putting some wifi connected cameras on the outside of the home. Unfortunately, while my wifi reaches well inside, it's can't quite reach some of my further ends of the home and garage.

Currently using a TP-Link Archer A7 router.

What is the best option to upgrade and extend my wifi to the areas within my home and immediate surrounding areas outside (not far, but at least the outer walls!).

1) Add an extender to my Archer A7 to one end of my home? 2) Upgrade router (like TP-Link AX3000) with an an extender? 3) Mesh kit, like the Eero Pro? 4) ?

I'd like a seamless handoff with devices - and don't want a device, like a camera, catching a router signal and then reconnecting to an extender. Are there more complications with a router/extender? Are these a better option than say, the Eero mesh kit? Inside, I usually have 3 computers, tablet, iPhone and a few other items like smart bulbs, wifi outlets and (3) motion activated cameras that are used mostly during the night. Not a huge network demand of streaming, video, etc.

Much thanks!

Solution
I have ethernet into the house connecting to my current router. Otherwise, the house isn't wired for ethernet.

This is a rural area - I use a wireless internet service provide and that runs from the long range antenna on the house to a PoE into my router ... to be more specific.

If this doesn't quite answer the question or give you a better insight into my setup, let me know!
Running ethernet or paying someone to run ethernet with an additional access point, is the best way to improve WIFI. Personally, I wouldn't use wireless cameras. If you have to get power to a device, you can get ethernet also. WIFI is just not reliable enough for something as critical as security cameras, IMO.

kanewolf

Titan
I am trying to determine the best way to extend the reach of my wifi!

Got a 5000sq ft home with a wireless router located centrally - now putting some wifi connected cameras on the outside of the home. Unfortunately, while my wifi reaches well inside, it's can't quite reach some of my further ends of the home and garage.

Currently using a TP-Link Archer A7 router.

What is the best option to upgrade and extend my wifi to the areas within my home and immediate surrounding areas outside (not far, but at least the outer walls!).

1) Add an extender to my Archer A7 to one end of my home? 2) Upgrade router (like TP-Link AX3000) with an an extender? 3) Mesh kit, like the Eero Pro? 4) ?

I'd like a seamless handoff with devices - and don't want a device, like a camera, catching a router signal and then reconnecting to an extender. Are there more complications with a router/extender? Are these a better option than say, the Eero mesh kit? Inside, I usually have 3 computers, tablet, iPhone and a few other items like smart bulbs, wifi outlets and (3) motion activated cameras that are used mostly during the night. Not a huge network demand of streaming, video, etc.

Much thanks!
What wired infrastructure do you have? Ethernet cabling? Coax cabling?
For decent performance you really need a wired backbone to your primary router.

Jay_Z

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
I have ethernet into the house connecting to my current router. Otherwise, the house isn't wired for ethernet.

This is a rural area - I use a wireless internet service provide and that runs from the long range antenna on the house to a PoE into my router ... to be more specific.

If this doesn't quite answer the question or give you a better insight into my setup, let me know!

kanewolf

Titan

Running ethernet or paying someone to run ethernet with an additional access point, is the best way to improve WIFI. Personally, I wouldn't use wireless cameras. If you have to get power to a device, you can get ethernet also. WIFI is just not reliable enough for something as critical as security cameras, IMO.

Solution