[SOLVED] Microphone picks up audio output

iJosh

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
For some reason, my headphone microphone keeps picking up the sound played through my computer. So, for example, when I'm watching a YouTube video while in a Discord call, everyone in the call will be able to hear the audio from the video.

I've got no idea why this is happening, I've tried messing with the Windows and Realtek sound/mic settings but I haven't been able to find a solution yet.

Here's a video of the output audio playing through the microphone:
View: https://imgur.com/a/cBCZ2XI

My desktop computer is running windows 10, and I'm using a mic splitter to plug the headphones into both input and output (not sure if this might be causing the problem). The headphones I'm using are Skullcandy Uproar. From what I understand the mic is built into the part that goes on your ear, not sure if it might be that sound somehow leaking into the microphone.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I have every audio output/input disabled except for the Headphones and the Microphone on them.

Last edited:

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Input and output should be distinct.

You can also run output through the provided Toslink port on the mobo to a tuner/receiver (or amp) that will run the speakers. You can control that output independently through the tuner/receiver volume. The headphones will be controlled by your on screen volume options: in the lower right tray, and also in Devices >System > Sound.

I leave the master sound volume on maximum in Devices > System > Sound and control volume output through the monitor or by physically adjusting the volume on the tuner amp. You want to send a STRONG signal to the tuner amp and let it be in charge of modulating its intensity, rather than sending a weak signal out. In the days when I wore head phones and gamed, the only problem was that fellow gamers would occasionally hear the music through microphone, traveling from living room to dining room and into the mic that was right in front of my mouth.

iJosh

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
Input and output should be distinct.

You can also run output through the provided Toslink port on the mobo to a tuner/receiver (or amp) that will run the speakers. You can control that output independently through the tuner/receiver volume. The headphones will be controlled by your on screen volume options: in the lower right tray, and also in Devices >System > Sound.

I leave the master sound volume on maximum in Devices > System > Sound and control volume output through the monitor or by physically adjusting the volume on the tuner amp. You want to send a STRONG signal to the tuner amp and let it be in charge of modulating its intensity, rather than sending a weak signal out. In the days when I wore head phones and gamed, the only problem was that fellow gamers would occasionally hear the music through microphone, traveling from living room to dining room and into the mic that was right in front of my mouth.
The "speakers" in the playback is just the headphones, forgot to rename it to that. Sorry for the confusion. Also the "microphone" is the one built-in to the part of the headphone that rests on my ear

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
If you look at this manual for a logitech earphone headset it very clearly shows two jacks, one for the headphones, one for the microphone. On the microphone wire there is a separate volume control. They are input separately. You would in the typical case control headphone volume through the monitor sound control. There may be other systems but this is what I'm familiar with.

Hope that helps,
Greg N

Solution

iJosh

Reputable
Jul 20, 2019
If you look at this manual for a logitech earphone headset it very clearly shows two jacks, one for the headphones, one for the microphone. On the microphone wire there is a separate volume control. They are input separately. You would in the typical case control headphone volume through the monitor sound control. There may be other systems but this is what I'm familiar with.

Hope that helps,
Greg N
The headphones I'm using are Skullcandy Uproar.
Here's a picture of the exact headphones, just in case:
LybyBPG.png
Do you think this could possibly be causing the problem?