Question Microstutters in games with RTX 2070?

sycomania134

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
So I recently built a new PC, and i've noticed microstutters in many games. So far i've tested Control, Borderlands 3, Assassin's Creed Unity, Witcher 3, DOOM, and CSGO. For the most part, I get good FPS, and the system seems to be performing fine. Borderlands and Control suffer from the worst micro stuttering and it's present but barely noticeable in every other game I've tested (except CSGO, which has no stutter). I don't think It's an issue with my refresh rate (60hz) or my monitor, as FRAPS shows the framerate droping momentarily during the microstutter.

My setup is:
RTX 2070
Ryzen 2600x
16gb 3200mhz ram
and I run most my games off an NVME drive.
Nothing is overclocked.

You didn't mention what version your graphics drivers were.

As for borderlands and Control, everyone has pretty bad stutters for those game. They were both poorly optimized upon release. Borderlands is trying to fix this, but Control has had no update for sometime now.

Make sure your NVMe isn't overheating whilst running the games, as it gets hotter it gets slower and leads to bad read speeds.

Also open HWInfo, MSI afterburner, even task manager. Monitor all your hardware to see where the fault may lie.

If nothing looks out of place after monitoring it for a while, try uninstalling and performing a clean reinstall of the nvidia drivers

sycomania134

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
You didn't mention what version your graphics drivers were.

As for borderlands and Control, everyone has pretty bad stutters for those game. They were both poorly optimized upon release. Borderlands is trying to fix this, but Control has had no update for sometime now.

Make sure your NVMe isn't overheating whilst running the games, as it gets hotter it gets slower and leads to bad read speeds.

Also open HWInfo, MSI afterburner, even task manager. Monitor all your hardware to see where the fault may lie.

If nothing looks out of place after monitoring it for a while, try uninstalling and performing a clean reinstall of the nvidia drivers

Hey, thanks for the reply. I'm running on the latest drivers and I have a pretty high end motherboard with an NVME heat sink so I don't think overheating is the issue. My 2600x does run a little hot, probably because I'm on the stock cooler, but it never gets to really worrying temps, and certainly not high enough for throttling. (usually not over 75c while gaming).

Restarting the PC fixes it but it still comes back once in a while. I found that a good game to test for these stutters is rainbow six siege. I can usually run it at about ~140fps super smooth. Sometimes sessions it would microstutter, and I would restart my PC, and It would be gone.