Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
So I've been doing some research and I've seen that there are some new releases with CPUs here soon. I'm thinking about returning my 5900x and potentially waiting for an AMD or Intel release that will be much better than the 5900x. If I do return my CPU, what are potential CPUs I could wait for that might have a better performance increase for gaming?
Any help is greatly appreciated!! :)
Edit I also have an I7-8700k that I'll be switching back to because apparently there isn't much of a performance increase between the two if I overclock the 8700k.

Solution
Edit I also have an I7-8700k that I'll be switching back to because apparently there isn't much of a performance increase between the two if I overclock the 8700k.
6 core vs 12 core for the 5900x...it's hard to imagine how the performance gap is so terribly small. But then, if your needs aren't for highly threaded processing loads then it may not be the best choice.

5900X is a low-end workstation CPU, really best used on tasks like CPU video rendering, graphics rendering, engineering/mathematical simulations and the like. Although it's certainly suitable for doing so when the work's done, it's wasted on most video games where the GPU is the limitation.
So I've been doing some research and I've seen that there are some new releases with CPUs here soon. I'm thinking about returning my 5900x and potentially waiting for an AMD or Intel release that will be much better than the 5900x. If I do return my CPU, what are potential CPUs I could wait for that might have a better performance increase for gaming?
Any help is greatly appreciated!! :)
Hello there!!
There's always going to be a better CPU if you wait "a little longer"and you will end up waiting forever. You are very fortunate enough to get a hands on a AMD CPU especially during the shortages. Moreover that's a premium CPU and I don't think you'll face any issues with that so enjoy the beast you have:)

Reactions: Pytheus

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Hello there!!
There's always going to be a better CPU if you wait "a little longer"and you will end up waiting forever. You are very fortunate enough to get a hands on a AMD CPU especially during the shortages. Moreover that's a premium CPU and I don't think you'll face any issues with that so enjoy the beast you have:)
Hey! :) Thanks for the response! I just heard that there are some new cpus releasing and didn't know if it would be good to just hold onto the I7-8700k that I have and maybe get an even better processor, but this comment made me look at the 5900x in a different light!

6 core vs 12 core for the 5900x...it's hard to imagine how the performance gap is so terribly small. But then, if your needs aren't for highly threaded processing loads then it may not be the best choice.

5900X is a low-end workstation CPU, really best used on tasks like CPU video rendering, graphics rendering, engineering/mathematical simulations and the like. Although it's certainly suitable for doing so when the work's done, it's wasted on most video games where the GPU is the limitation.

Solution

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014

Very good point! So pretty much the higher the thread count the more likely it'll be used on work rather than video games. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to return it sadly :( I love the load times it gives me though haha :D

Very good point! So pretty much the higher the thread count the more likely it'll be used on work rather than video games. Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to return it sadly :( I love the load times it gives me though haha :D
For gaming...especially triple-A games and high resolution games (1440p and 4k) it's almost all on the GPU to deliver good performance. Give it a good enough GPU and that 8700k is going to do a decent job.

The 5900X will probably do a better job at e-sports type games, although overclocking the dung out of an 8700k will narrow the FPS gap. In a game where it seems even a few fps can make you a champion that gap, though, can be all that's needed. But it's probably overkill even then since it's really all dependent on one core to deliver the FPS. The CPU to get for e-sports is 5600x, from a price-performance perspective in particular, unless you also have need of the cores to pay for your video gaming habits.

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
For gaming...especially triple-A games and high resolution games (1440p and 4k) it's almost all on the GPU to deliver good performance. Give it a good enough GPU and that 8700k is going to do a decent job.

The 5900X will probably do a better job at e-sports type games, but overclocking the dung out of an 8700k will narrow the gap. But in a game where it seems even a few fps can make you a champion, that's all that's needed. But it's probably overkill even then since it's really all dependent on one core to deliver the FPS. The CPU to get for e-sports is 5600x, from a price-performance perspective in particular.
Interesting! Yeah I mainly just play casually on all games nothing competitive. Just for leisure :)

Tbh if was in your place I'd keep it and also upgrade the GPU(preferably to 3080/90) and use the system for years I have heard people saying that user experience feels way smoother and faster from 6c <8c<10c<12c. You also get opportunity to multitask while you game and thus youll notice less stutter while gaming it would have been a premium experience. Yes I do agree that at high res GPU is more of a bottleneck but that doesn't mean that a good GPU doesn't matter. Can you tell me at what Res and games do you play?

The 5900X will probably do a better job at e-sports type games, although overclocking the dung out of an 8700k will narrow the FPS gap. In a game where it seems even a few fps can make you a champion that gap, though, can be all that's needed. But it's probably overkill even then since it's really all dependent on one core to deliver the FPS. The CPU to get for e-sports is 5600x, from a price-performance perspective in particular, unless you also have need of the cores to pay for your video gaming habits.
I kinda disagree with you buddy, right now the 11400f is $184 and 5600x is $289 that's 36% more money. Check this video out
View: https://youtu.be/BAJVM01D2hw

There's no big performance difference between them and thus upgrading from 8700k to a 5600x would be a bad idea and the price to performance falls into the hand of Intel. Ik I bought 10400f and 11400f to the scene while we are dealing with 8700k but the similar performance difference is evident.
View: https://youtu.be/dTXwrtnSdCM

Infact the 8700k has aged amazingly especially if bought at 2017 when it was launched it was $360 and 5600x is $300 but the similar CPU was available from Intel 4 YEARS AGO and thus the pricing of 5600x makes no sense imo.Its better to keep the 8700k than upgrading to a 5600x especially when you add a new Mobo factor with it.

..... I think I'm going to return it sadly :( I love the load times it gives me though haha :D
You've not said how your system is configured; I'd attribute load times to faster memory and a fast NVME if you have that on your 5900X system. If your 8700k system can handle it maybe a memory upgrade and/or NVME upgrade might suffice to give similar load times. Even if your GPU is PCIe gen 4 I can't imagine it making that much difference in load times vs. Gen 3.

Last edited:

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
You already have the Fastest gaming processor on the market (unless you wanna buy the 5950x). Donno where you got your info from but the entire 5000x line up at stock is faster than intel 10900k overlococked to 5.2 ghz at quite a lot of games. 11th gen intel on average is slightly slower when both sides are overclocked. You are comparing 4th generation older CPU and saying they are the same. In terms of performance there's a decent performance gap between intel 8th and 9th gen, ok gap between 9th and 10th and small gap between 10th and 11th. Add them all up and and that's a huge gap between 8th gen and 11th. And even 11th gen is slower than AMD 5000x. Also 5000x series overclocks really well especially when you undervolt it. 5900x and 5950x are able to hit 5-5.1ghz on 2 core and something crazy like 5.7-5.8 all core on air/AIO. Youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0 Overclocking rzren 5000 is not worth it, Just Undervolt so it boosts higher and optimise the ram timings.

Reactions: Pytheus

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
Tbh if was in your place I'd keep it and also upgrade the GPU(preferably to 3080/90) and use the system for years I have heard people saying that user experience feels way smoother and faster from 6c <8c<10c<12c. You also get opportunity to multitask while you game and thus youll notice less stutter while gaming it would have been a premium experience. Yes I do agree that at high res GPU is more of a bottleneck but that doesn't mean that a good GPU doesn't matter. Can you tell me at what Res and games do you play?
Hello! Sorry for the late response! So you were saying it's probably best just to keep the 5900x for gaming? I'm currently gaming at 1080p and I'm wanting to upgrade to 1440p here soon! :) Here are my specs:
RTX 3080 EVGA FTW3 Ultra
Ryzen 9 5900x
ASUS Prime X570-Pro
PSU 850w Corsair
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
H100 Corsair Liquid Cooler
x3 Samsung SSD's - x2 500g x1 1 Terra
144 Hz 1080p Acer Monitor

I'm currently gaming at 1080p and I'm wanting to upgrade to 1440p here soon!
[/QUOTE]
1440p shifts much more of the load to the GPU...most of it for triple-A titles.

If it's still an option to return it but you really want something new go back for the 5600x and use the difference somewhere else. Like a great 1440p display. It's highly unlikely you'd notice the different processor for gaming.

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
I'm currently gaming at 1080p and I'm wanting to upgrade to 1440p here soon!

If it's still an option to return it but you really want something new go back for the 5600x and use the difference somewhere else. Like a great 1440p display. It's highly unlikely you'd notice the different processor for gaming.
[/QUOTE]
Instead of the 5600x, should I just stick with my 8700k 4.7ghz and try overclocking to 50ghz :)? I'd save myself $900 if I sent my 5900x and mobo back.

Instead of the 5600x, should I just stick with my 8700k 4.7ghz and try overclocking to 50ghz :)? I'd save myself $900 if I sent my 5900x and mobo back.
[/QUOTE]
I see two option:
A.Keep the 5900x and use it for years
B.Keep your 8700k with the gpu
but don't go for the 5600x you really aren't upgrading, you are going from 6c/12t(8700k) to 6c/12t(5600X) which is slightly faster but not worth when you add Mobo price with the cpu. Again if I was in your place I'd keep the 5900X and will not bother myself with a cpu upgrade for years.

Bobo1458

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
I see two option:
A.Keep the 5900x and use it for years
B.Keep your 8700k with the gpu
but don't go for the 5600x you really aren't upgrading, you are going from 6c/12t(8700k) to 6c/12t(5600X) which is slightly faster but not worth when you add Mobo price with the cpu. Again if I was in your place I'd keep the 5900X and will not bother myself with a cpu upgrade for years.
[/QUOTE]
Ok! I think that seems like a pretty viable option :) And I just ordered some new ram x4 8gb 3200 mhz, so hopefully in doing this I'll see a smidgen of a performance increase in games that have been lacking! Thank you for the reply I appreciate the help ^.^