[SOLVED] "Missing media drivers" when trying to install Windows 10

Nov 27, 2019
Hello,

I am currently building a new PC but I can't seem to get to the Windows 10 installer. Every time I boot into the Installer, choose my Language and click "Install now" I get an error that there are missing media drivers.
I created my Windows USB drive using a Mac and not the Media Creation Tool as I currently don't have access to a Windows PC

I have tried:
What am I doing wrong?

Setup:
AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Motherboard
AMD 3400G CPU
NVMe SSD, on which Windows should be installed on
SanDisk "Ultra USB 3.0" 32 GB USB Stick with Windows ISO on it

Solution
I'll try another USB Stick.
BTW - there can be 2 issues.
  1. problem with USB drivers,
  2. Problem with nvme configuration in BIOS.

Try opening Command prompt in windows installation environment (Shift+F10) and run
diskpart
list disk

If USB drive doesn't show there, then there's a problem with USB drivers. USB drivers need to be loaded.
If NVME drive doesn't show there, then it's problem with NVME configuration. Try different CSM settings for pcie storage in BIOS.
Hello

Can you please try this:

Connect your USB drive and begin installation. When the error occurs, cancel the installation to get back to the Welcome screen. Then, plug the USB drive to a different port and click Install one more time.

The above trick works in many cases. Feel free to report back if it doesn't, and you need further assistance in this.

Cheers!!

The board has 2 USB controllers - AMD chipset USB controller and Asrock USB 3.1 controller.
Asrock USB controller most likely needs drivers loaded before it can be used in windows install process.
Try a different USB port (USB 2.0 port near PS/2 port).

Fatal1ty%20B450%20Gaming-ITXac(L5).png

Nov 27, 2019
Hello

Can you please try this:

Connect your USB drive and begin installation. When the error occurs, cancel the installation to get back to the Welcome screen. Then, plug the USB drive to a different port and click Install one more time.

The above trick works in many cases. Feel free to report back if it doesn't, and you need further assistance in this.

Cheers!!
Already tried that, also with using USB 2.0 Ports but it doesn't work

Nov 27, 2019
The board has 2 USB controllers - AMD chipset USB controller and Asrock USB 3.1 controller.
Asrock USB controller most likely needs drivers loaded before it can be used in windows install process.
Try a different USB port (USB 2.0 port near PS/2 port).

Fatal1ty%20B450%20Gaming-ITXac(L5).png
I've tried it with using those ports, also unplugging everything from the other ports - didn't help

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried flashing bios?
try another USB not made by sandisk - some of their USB used to be seen as external hdd but its unlikely you got two

try burning a DVD - Oh wait, I guess you don't have a drive. relying on USB sometimes doesn't work.
try removing any non essential devices like external hdd or printers or anything it might want drivers for.

Nov 27, 2019
tried flashing bios?
try another USB not made by sandisk - some of their USB used to be seen as external hdd but its unlikely you got two

try burning a DVD - Oh wait, I guess you don't have a drive. relying on USB sometimes doesn't work.
try removing any non essential devices like external hdd or printers or anything it might want drivers for.
Havn't flashed the BIOS, its how AsRock shipped it. I'll try another USB Stick.
Don't have a DVD Drive and also don't have any devices connected.

Colif

Win 11 Master
We need another install format. Only having USB/DVD is starting to bite as 90% of new PC don't have DVD/Blueray and if USB doesn't work for some reason, you cannot install. I am not sure what as its hard enough to get secure boot to accept USB now, yet alone another drive. But we need it before DVD goes way of dodo.

I'll try another USB Stick.
BTW - there can be 2 issues.
  1. problem with USB drivers,
  2. Problem with nvme configuration in BIOS.

Try opening Command prompt in windows installation environment (Shift+F10) and run
diskpart
list disk

If USB drive doesn't show there, then there's a problem with USB drivers. USB drivers need to be loaded.
If NVME drive doesn't show there, then it's problem with NVME configuration. Try different CSM settings for pcie storage in BIOS.

Solution
Nov 27, 2019
Both drives showed up correctly. I have now tried it with a USB Stick created by the Media Creation Tool and it worked without a problem - looks like microsoft published a defective USB stick