[SOLVED] MOBO for the i5-10400F ?

Nov 29, 2020
hello, I am going to buy build a new computer with i5-10400f and I am Looking for a MOBO that will be compatible .
I already have a memory RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit

my problem is that 3200mhz ram requires a z490 board and its too expensive for me. but on the other hand it would be a waste of memory
if I take motherboard that supports lower than 3200..
my second option is to build a computer with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ( with b450m) but it isn't available at good prices..
what do you think?

my pc build is:
ASUS GTX1660 SUPER DUAL-GTX1660S-O6G-EVO
CoolerMaster Hyper 212
Corsair Carbide 275R Gaming Black
Seagate HDD 1.0TB 64MB SATA3 Barracuda
Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
main use: mid-range gaming. no overclock.

Solution
All ddr4 ram has a default lower speed that lets you get into the bios to set the speed you want.
Your 3200 speed ram will work.
How fast is determined by both the cpu and the motherboard.
Since you will not be overclocking, any lga1200 motherboard will work.
The H410 chipset and B460 chipset motherboards will be the cheapest.
There are very few relevant differences.
Here is a chart:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1200
support for your processor is limited to 2666 speed.
2933 speed is supported by i7 or i9 processors.
Ram speed for intel is relevant only if your use integrated graphics.
A moot point with a f suffix processor.
Pick any lga1200 motherboard that is the size you want and which may have other features that you need...
hello, I am going to buy build a new computer with i5-10400f and I am Looking for a MOBO that will be compatible .
I already have a memory RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit

my problem is that 3200mhz ram requires a z490 board and its too expensive for me. but on the other hand it would be a waste of memory
if I take motherboard that supports lower than 3200..
my second option is to build a computer with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ( with b450m) but it isn't available at good prices..
what do you think?

my pc build is:
ASUS GTX1660 SUPER DUAL-GTX1660S-O6G-EVO
CoolerMaster Hyper 212
Corsair Carbide 275R Gaming Black
Seagate HDD 1.0TB 64MB SATA3 Barracuda
Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
main use: mid-range gaming. no overclock.
Faster memory really doesn't matter in Intel and do you have a existing build this you have 3200mhz ram? Also the i5 can support ram upto 2666(if I'm correct) the tomahawk which i have linked supports upto 2933mhz ram and would be a good board. What I'll recommend is if a good Mobo and i5 costs you more than or similar to a ryzen 5 build(with a good Mobo) get the AMD build else won't matter alot.

View: https://youtu.be/sJtaHNjIQJU

All ddr4 ram has a default lower speed that lets you get into the bios to set the speed you want.
Here is a chart:
Pick any lga1200 motherboard that is the size you want and which may have other features that you need such as wifi.
I have no preference on brands, they are all good.

Other thoughts:

Because you will not be overclocking, the included intel stock cooler will do the job well, no need for an aftermarket cooler.

All lga1200 motherboards will have a m.2 pcie slot available.
I would ditch the HDD and simply buy a 1tb m.2 pcie drive.
m.2 is about the size of a stick of gum.
It plugs into the motherboard, no sata data or power cables needed.
pcie drives are 3x faster sequentially.
1tb will hold a lot of games.
If you ever run out of space, it is easy to add storage later.
For quality, I like the samsung evo units.
If price is a big problem, Intel has the 660p and 665p units that are priced well.
They are not as fast as samsung evo, but are considerably faster than any HDD.

You did not list a psu.
for your current setup, 450w is enough.
But, a quality psu is a long term investment, and I could foresee a much stronger graphics card upgrade in the future. Your i5-10400f is that good.
Here is a gaming review of the i3-10100 which includes 10400f comparisons.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
Look for at least a 550w unit, or even 650w or 750w.
A psu will only consume the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability. Price differences between 650w and 550w or 750w are often very small.
I like the seasonic focus units with a 7 or 10 year warranty.

Solution
How about price as a reason?
How about price as a reason?
I'm not saying to get the most expensive b460 board, but I'm definitely not saying to skimp on Mobo, better Vrm, better pcb quality better onboard lan also the BUS speed on H410 chipset is slow. Also manufacturers will give better support for a $100 mobo than a $50 mobo, thus i say H410 for business, home theater and similar light use. Else even as a general consumer getting a 'B' board would be better. Also i read or heard from one of the tech YouTube channel that 'B' used to stand for 'Business' look how better they have become.
And the following Mobo is really good for$100
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wqgQzy/asrock-b460-pro4-atx-lga1200-motherboard-b460-pro4

Nov 29, 2020
Faster memory really doesn't matter in Intel and do you have a existing build this you have 3200mhz ram? Also the i5 can support ram upto 2666(if I'm correct) the tomahawk which i have linked supports upto 2933mhz ram and would be a good board. What I'll recommend is if a good Mobo and i5 costs you more than or similar to a ryzen 5 build(with a good Mobo) get the AMD build else won't matter alot.

View: https://youtu.be/sJtaHNjIQJU

yes, i have heard that faster memory doesn't really matter in intel and there is only a small differences between 2666 ( 2933) to 3200 with intel build. for that moment I have only 3200mhz ram and SSD and I am planning to buy the other components in a few days.
You're right, on the main website of the product I see that i5 can support ram up to 2666 . so if I would take motherboard that supports up to 2933 its Locked to 2666 MHz because its an i5 ?

Nov 29, 2020
No, the i5 can support up to 3000 mhz memory with a h410 or b460 motherboard. I would suggest sticking with the i5 (all ryzen chips are basically out of stock) since it is an excellent value for money chip, and you won't lose too much potential of the 3200-speed memory.

yes, I also tend to stick with i5 for that reason. are you sure that i5 can support up to 3000 MHz memory with h410 or b460 ? on the main page of this product I see that its only up to 2666:
Intel® Core™ i5-10400F Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.30 GHz) Product Specifications .
if its true I will definitely take b460

Not to worry.
Your 3200 speed ram will operate at whatever lesser speed the cpu and motherboard supports.
You have good quality ram that is capable of running at 3200 speeds when overclocked.
Here is an older study of DDR4 ram speed scaling.
The big takeaway is to use a dual channel ram setup.

I have no problem with any 400 series chipset you might want to use.
B460, for example can support 4 sticks of ram vs. 2 for H110.
That is one reason for H110 being lower priced.
But, you are not going to use 4 sticks, and adding non matched ram in the future is not guaranteed to work.
I doubt you would use optane memory which is only supported on H470 or higher.
Ditto for raid which is not a good idea in any form.
More expensive motherboards may have better sound chips, or included wifi if those are important to you.
You could look at H470 or Q470 motherboards which will include
intel wifi 6.
The chipsets are all made by the same maker, namely Intel.
Any differences in quality will be by the manufacturer.
To date, I have seen no differences in quality from the major motherboard makers.

[
yes, I also tend to stick with i5 for that reason. are you sure that i5 can support up to 3000 MHz memory with h410 or b460 ? on the main page of this product I see that its only up to 2666:
Intel® Core™ i5-10400F Processor (12M Cache, up to 4.30 GHz) Product Specifications .
if its true I will definitely take b460
I don't think so it will run at 3000mhz only high end cpu can support 2933 on a b460.. As i said earlier that if the total cost of i5 along with a B460 tomahawk or the Asrock Mobo i recommended for$100 is above ryzen 5 with a similar good Mobo get the amd build, else the i5. In the above gameplay i linked earlier comparing i5 10400f with 3200mhz and 2666mhz i only noticed 10fps of average difference.
Edit: See the i7 how it shows memory speed 2933mhz
Also if you want high speed ram getting a lower CL memory would help as it will decrease the latency although i do acknowledge that's not possible if you can return your current memory and do that-great else you really don't need to.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html

Last edited:

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
Sorry I should have double-checked my information before posting, I see that on the intel website it says support memory DDR4-2666 and nothing else, so I was probably incorrect, but I feel like I did hear that somewhere. On the tech power up site it says the maximum officially supported memory speed is 2666 but with overclocking you can go higher, I don't know if that overclocking would be possible on an h110 or b460 motherboard.

DDR4 ram native speed is 2400, possibly 2666.
The default is 1.2v.

Ram specified faster is better binned ram that will operate at higher speeds.
Such ram is technically overclocked, and the voltage is increased perhaps to 1.35v or higher.
That requires a more sophisticated motherboard and chipset such as Z490.
There are usually two speeds.
One is the speed at which a motherboard will, by default use to boot into the bios. That lets you see the menus that allow faster ram settings.
Ram will have overclock settings of voltage cas and speed embedded into the ram itself.
The higher speeds are set by selecting a xmp profile if you have a motherboard that can implement xmp.
You also may have the option to select different settings on a suitable motherboard.
The second is the speed that ram will run at when overclocked

Reactions: owenv27
Nov 29, 2020
Here is a chart:
Pick any lga1200 motherboard that is the size you want and which may have other features that you need such as wifi.
I have no preference on brands, they are all good.

Other thoughts:

Because you will not be overclocking, the included intel stock cooler will do the job well, no need for an aftermarket cooler.

All lga1200 motherboards will have a m.2 pcie slot available.
I would ditch the HDD and simply buy a 1tb m.2 pcie drive.
m.2 is about the size of a stick of gum.
It plugs into the motherboard, no sata data or power cables needed.
pcie drives are 3x faster sequentially.
1tb will hold a lot of games.
If you ever run out of space, it is easy to add storage later.
For quality, I like the samsung evo units.
If price is a big problem, Intel has the 660p and 665p units that are priced well.
They are not as fast as samsung evo, but are considerably faster than any HDD.

You did not list a psu.
for your current setup, 450w is enough.
But, a quality psu is a long term investment, and I could foresee a much stronger graphics card upgrade in the future. Your i5-10400f is that good.
Here is a gaming review of the i3-10100 which includes 10400f comparisons.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i3-10100/15.html
Look for at least a 550w unit, or even 650w or 750w.
A psu will only consume the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability. Price differences between 650w and 550w or 750w are often very small.
I like the seasonic focus units with a 7 or 10 year warranty.

first of all thanks for your detailed explanation.
so if I would take lga1200 motherboard ( b460 ) with 10400f the memory speed will be Locked to 2666 MHz or I can get higher ?
from where I buy the computer, I have no option to get intel stock cooler ( only tray ) , and I have heard a good reviews about hyper 212.
do you have another recommendation ?
and about the psu:
I have thought about ANTEC PSU 650W Neo Eco Classic 80+ Bronze .

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020
Your build looks great though, you might not need the hyper 212 evo but if you would feel more comfortable with a better cpu cooler than the intel stock cooler.
I have no option to get intel stock cooler ( only tray ) so I need a CPU cooler anyway. hyper 212 is a good option, and has good reviews.

Hyper is popular because it is cheap.
But it will do the job.
Scythe kotetsu is a great similar cooler if it is available to you.
Noctua coolers are particularly easy to mount.

Verify that you have about 160mm available height in your case.
I had to mount one, and it was not easy to get on level, the instructions are terrible.

Plan on 2666 speed.
I do not know how it could be higher, and it would make no difference anyway.
Do not be paranoid about ram speed.
Having enough is much more important.

Antec power supplies are generally decent.

Nov 29, 2020
Hyper is popular because it is cheap.
But it will do the job.
Scythe kotetsu is a great similar cooler if it is available to you.
Noctua coolers are particularly easy to mount.

Verify that you have about 160mm available height in your case.
I had to mount one, and it was not easy to get on level, the instructions are terrible.

Plan on 2666 speed.
I do not know how it could be higher, and it would make no difference anyway.
Do not be paranoid about ram speed.
Having enough is much more important.

Antec power supplies are generally decent.

yes hyper is a excellent cooler and more than enough for me so I will go with it. I have 170mm available height in my case so its ok.
you are right , there is not much difference between 2666 and 3200 because Faster memory really doesn't matter in Intel.

Nov 29, 2020
[

I don't think so it will run at 3000mhz only high end cpu can support 2933 on a b460.. As i said earlier that if the total cost of i5 along with a B460 tomahawk or the Asrock Mobo i recommended for$100 is above ryzen 5 with a similar good Mobo get the amd build, else the i5. In the above gameplay i linked earlier comparing i5 10400f with 3200mhz and 2666mhz i only noticed 10fps of average difference.
Edit: See the i7 how it shows memory speed 2933mhz
Also if you want high speed ram getting a lower CL memory would help as it will decrease the latency although i do acknowledge that's not possible if you can return your current memory and do that-great else you really don't need to.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...0700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz.html

I have watched this video before and 10fps is really a small difference and not worth more expensive motherboard. thanks for that.
the total cost of i5 with b460 is lower than amd rayzen 5 3600 with a similar good Mobo by 50$ , so I think I will go with intel.

Nov 29, 2020
so after a lot of thinking my final build is :
  • ASUS GTX1660 SUPER DUAL-GTX1660S-O6G-EVO
  • CoolerMaster Hyper 212 RGB Cooler
  • Gigabyte B460M DS3H ( my only options are gigabyte or ASUS)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 )
  • Corsair Carbide 275R Gaming Black
  • ANTEC PSU 650W Neo Eco Classic 80+ Bronze
  • Seagate HDD 1.0TB 64MB SATA3 Barracuda
  • Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
do you think its ok ?

so after a lot of thinking my final build is :
  • ASUS GTX1660 SUPER DUAL-GTX1660S-O6G-EVO
  • CoolerMaster Hyper 212 RGB Cooler
  • Gigabyte B460M DS3H ( my only options are gigabyte or ASUS)
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 )
  • Corsair Carbide 275R Gaming Black
  • ANTEC PSU 650W Neo Eco Classic 80+ Bronze
  • Seagate HDD 1.0TB 64MB SATA3 Barracuda
  • Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD
do you think its ok ?
Personally i recommend you to get the Mobo i linked it's $106 its H470 ik it's expensive but yesterday i had linked a really good B460 Atx board for $100 now it's $114, so i do recommend the $106 board, you can but a cpu cooler later and use the stock cooler now but don't skimp on Mobo, else your build is awesome.

Nov 29, 2020
Personally i recommend you to get the Mobo i linked it's $106 its H470 ik it's expensive but yesterday i had linked a really good B460 Atx board for $100 now it's $114, so I do recommend the $106 board, you can but a cpu cooler later and use the stock cooler now but don't skimp on Mobo, else your build is awesome.

in my country the price of Gigabyte B460M DS3H is 112$ and
Gigabyte H470M DS3H is 137$ . I am not sure if its worth the price.
I have no option to get intel stock cooler ( only tray ) so I need a CPU cooler anyway.. and hyper 212 is a good option.
one more question:
i can take Corsair 650W CV650 PSU 80+ Bronze instead of
ANTEC PSU 650W Neo Eco Classic 80+ Bronze in the same price.

what do you think is better ? thanks

Last edited:
in my country the price of Gigabyte B460M DS3H is 112$ and
Gigabyte H470M DS3H is 137$ . I am not sure if its worth the price.
I have no option to get intel stock cooler ( only tray ) so I need a CPU cooler anyway.. and hyper 212 is a good option.
one more question:
i can take Corsair 650W CV650 PSU 80+ Bronze instead of
ANTEC PSU 650W Neo Eco Classic 80+ Bronze in the same price.

what do you think is better ? thanks
You could go for Cv650, but a better option would be cx650 or the cx series in general